Yahoo economists: Obama reelection's in the bag

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Mr. G

Yahoo economists: Obama reelection's in the bag

Post by Mr. G »

The elections are still nine months away, but a couple of economists say their data already point to an Obama victory. A couple of economic researchers working for Yahoo say they have developed a forecasting model that predicts a win for President Barack Obama this November.

The model, created by David Rothschild and Patrick Hummel, predicts that Mr. Obama will carry 303 electoral votes this fall. At the same time, they say that several states contests remain virtual toss-ups.

Read More Here...
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Re: Yahoo economists: Obama reelection's in the bag

Post by Josef »

I have thought Obama's re-election was in the bag the moment the Tea-Party won big in 2010.
They have exhausted all of their parties political capital.

Rick Santorum is also the single most dangerous political candidate for any office that I have ever seen.
He is basically running on the Taliban ticket and is completely unelectable, while Mitt Ronmey isn't even sure if he himself is a republican.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Oh absolutely. The Republican lineup is a disaster. There would be a greater chance of this guy winning if he ran:

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mr. G wrote:Oh absolutely. The Republican lineup is a disaster. There would be a greater chance of this guy winning if he ran:

phpBB [video]
Haha!

"Gentleman! I despise each and every one of you."
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Bhavana

Post by Bhavana »

maybe, maybe not. I can't say I am really happy with the republican candidates myself, but I'd vote for Mickey Mouse if he was running against Obama.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Mr. G wrote:
phpBB [video]
I think we found a Vice President for the Ron Paul ticket.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Bhavana wrote:maybe, maybe not. I can't say I am really happy with the republican candidates myself, but I'd vote for Mickey Mouse if he was running against Obama.
I definitely wont be voting for Obama this time around either.
He is the greatest political disappointment that the American left has ever seen in my opinion.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Mr. G wrote:The Republican lineup is a disaster.
Lhug-Pa wrote:With the exception of pro-Peace candidate Ron Paul of course. Although he's a Libertarian running as a Republican (I also like many of Jesse Ventura's, Ralph Nader's, and Cynthia McKinney's views as well).

'Republicans' Romney, McCain, Santorum, Perry, Gingrich, etc. are all warmongers obviously.

And I would lump 'Democrats' like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in with the said Neocon warmongers too. However these mentioned war-hawks are I'll bet for the most part only sellout figureheads without much individual power, only doing what they're told.

Nonetheless, as Ron Paul said, I guess you get the Nobel Peace Prize by starting the most wars (in reference to Barack Obama).

phpBB [video]
Nemo wrote:I think we found a Vice President for the Ron Paul ticket.
If Barack Obama goes up against Ron Paul the former is doomed. Barack Obama is smarter than the other Republican candidates (with the exception of Ron Paul), however he's not smart enough to avoid getting called out on his lies by Ron Paul. Seems that out of both the Republican and Democratic parties, Ron Paul is the only one who's not in the pockets of the military-industrial complex.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I don't think Ron Paul is the answer.

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Post by Josef »

I don't get the Ron Paul thing.
His foreign policy ideas sound great but the rest of his policy ideas seem just plain crazy to me.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

I've seen various critiques of Ron Paul's ideas by Noam Chomsky and sometimes Chomsky agrees with Ron Paul a lot more. I don't think Noam Chomsky has Ron Paul's whole side of the story in the above clip, and therefore doesn't provide the entire context.

Ron Paul may be a free-market capitalist; but he's still an anticorporatist, unlike Barack Obama.

If Ron Paul isn't a worthy candidate, then no one is (so far).

Although maybe Ralph Nader will jump in the race. From what I've seen of him talking, his ideas make a lot of sense.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Nangwa wrote:
Bhavana wrote:maybe, maybe not. I can't say I am really happy with the republican candidates myself, but I'd vote for Mickey Mouse if he was running against Obama.
He is the greatest political disappointment that the American left has ever seen in my opinion.
Then you will not vote at all?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Will wrote:
Nangwa wrote:
Then you will not vote at all?
I will definitely be voting, at the very least to exercise my right to do so.
I think I will write in Namdrol. :tongue:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Or maybe myself.
I have a really good idea for democratizing the tax system. :soapbox:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Useful analysis of the recent twists and turns of the GOP nomination process, in context (particularly useful for people outside the US who are scratching their heads and wondering how it's possible for as much as 6% of the population to take Ron Paul seriously):

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... =pulsenews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

All I'm saying, is that even IF Ron Paul can't be taken completely seriously, he can still be taken more seriously than Barack Obama and the rest of the GOP candidates combined.

In other words, name one candidate, Republican or Democrat, besides Ron Paul who has half a chance at becoming president and who isn't a warmonger.

Someone mentioned John Huntsman as a good candidate, but I think he's pretty much out of the race.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

I just hope that the UK doesn't get sucked into this election, I remember the American health reform debate and how the NHS bizarrely got dragged into it - after watching a recent documentary about the American health system I am glad someone wouldn't get left to die of a hernia across here because they couldn't afford it. I also remember some ignorant tv news reader from I think it was fox news saying that if Stephen Hawking wouldn't be alive if he was left with the NHS. The idiot failing to realise the guy was British, which prompted Hawking to say that he was only alive because of NHS treatment of his motor neuron disease. :soapbox:
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

The "handiwork" of Barmitt Obamney & company:

Susanne Posel wrote: http://occupycorporatism.com/house-pass ... ar-agenda/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Although publicly, both the Obama administration and the Israeli government have admitted that Iran has absolutely no intention of building nuclear weapons. Both governments assume that by using words like “they may” or “they might” denotes a definite intention to do so.

The Mullahs that have ultimate authority in Iran have stated numerous times that the acquisition and use of nuclear weapons goes against the law of Islam. Independent studies, outside of the US and Israeli reach, have also confirmed that not only does Iran not have nuclear weapons at present, but are not perusing their allocation.

To justify the fabricated “need” to assist Israel in remaining “safe” the USIESC states : “As a result, (8) the strategic environment that has kept Israel secure and safeguarded United States national interests for the past 35 years has eroded.”

At the present time, Israel is in possession of an estimated 200 – 300 nuclear weapons. They are the covert superpower of the world. Israel also enjoys one of the most intensive and explicit armies in the world. While Israel continues to invade the sovereign nations that surround them, they are not being invaded themselves.

The USIESC is a propaganda piece of legislation designed to set the stage for full military support of Israel when they launch an unprovoked strike against Iran. While now, there are campaigns to coerce a fake grassroots effort to force a regime change in Iran, the inevitability of war declarations are looming in the distance.

China and Russia have made it clear that they have absolutely no intention of ending their relations with Iran.

The distractions in the mainstream media concerning Obama are just that. The sudden inflation of gay rights in the political arena and other nonsensical and unimportant social memes are being touted as if they will define our nation.

The USIESC has clearly set a precedent and definition of who America is.

The Obama administration, under careful control of the global Elite, is consolidating powers with Israel in a joint effort to take over the world . . . by toppling one government at a time.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Mr. G wrote:Oh absolutely. The Republican lineup is a disaster. There would be a greater chance of this guy winning if he ran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuumGX-6uc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I prefer the One True God Matayoshi Jesus
phpBB [video]
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Lounge”