Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas Weeks

Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here are 22 keys from Master Hua: http://www.cttbusa.org/precious_teachin ... irit/1.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

Post by catmoon »

A marvellous posting as usual, Will!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

catmoon wrote:A marvellous posting as usual, Will!
Master Hua was a marvel through and through. These teachings of his are here presented in a Vegas manner, but that may make them more memorable.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A short sketch, in several parts, of his life: http://www.advite.com/sf/life/lifeindex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

This is excellent material, Will. :twothumbsup:
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Basic question:

What was Master Hua's main form of meditation practice?

I recall asking one of his disciples about this some time ago, but maybe my memory is getting blurry.
Now, I'm aware that he taught many forms, and probably mastered many forms, but what was the one that really got him there in the end?

~~ Huifeng
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Huifeng wrote:Basic question:

What was Master Hua's main form of meditation practice?

I recall asking one of his disciples about this some time ago, but maybe my memory is getting blurry.
Now, I'm aware that he taught many forms, and probably mastered many forms, but what was the one that really got him there in the end?

~~ Huifeng
Dharma Master Heng Shou (aka Dharmamitra) wrote "Ch'an" - which is not surprising, but no details (also not surprising) he is busy translating. Glad you like this Master Hua thread. By the way, in the Pilgrimage section of the "advite" link he writes:
I am a monk from the Changbai (Eternally White) Mountains, a Chan cultivator from the Black Waters.
[my underlining]
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Will wrote:I am a monk from the Changbai (Eternally White) Mountains, a Chan cultivator from the Black Waters.
Then if we consider what Hsuan Hua meant as Chan practice, it's not that difficult. Although even this interpretation is still quite inclusive.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

once he was familiar with his own nature, all things had become samadhi and there was no longer entering or leaving samadhi. rather just formless meditation... seeing nature... seeing all things just as they are whether awake or asleep.

best wishes, Tom.

my gratitude to Venerable Hui Feng who almost a year ago wrote the words that enabled me to see own nature, and then on... the non dual nature of all things. Thank you Venerable Hui Feng. truly appreciated.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Master Hua talks to doctors and nurses: http://www.gbm-online.com/online/dharma/cheng.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

On impermanence - with added pix: http://www.cttbusa.org/impermanence/cttb.asp#rt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The Fiftieth Anniversary of Master Hua bringing the Dharma to the West will be celebrated in June 2012:

http://www.cttbusa.org/50anniversary/dharma.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chismith

Post by chismith »

Hope that most of the events will be recorded on the Internet for those who can't attend.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

I will always be grateful to this Master for his teachings and how they helped open the beauties and power of Buddhism to me years ago :bow:
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Thanks for sharing.
upasaka_/\_

Post by upasaka_/\_ »

hi,

you seem to know a lot about hsuan hua? i'm trying to figure out what place mala practice has in chan/zen buddhism. i've read some of master huas writings and seen many pictures of him with a mala around his neck. do you know what he taught or practiced involving mala? thanks.
Nicholas Weeks

CHAN: The Essence of All Buddhas

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Master Hua on Chan practice: http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/VenHua/Chan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
upasaka_/\_

Re: CHAN: The Essence of All Buddhas

Post by upasaka_/\_ »

Will wrote:Master Hua on Chan practice: http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/VenHua/Chan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not sure if this is in reply to my question or not, thanks if it is:) however in lieu of reading all 8,051 words on that page (and i'm sure it's great, i really enjoy his writings) could you tell me if he explains mala practice, and if so, how?

i did a ctrl+f search of the document for "mala", "beads" "mantra" and "chant" and didn't find anything about those things except a small mention of "mantra" but nothing about mala practice.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

upasaka_/\_ wrote:
Will wrote:Master Hua on Chan practice: http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/VenHua/Chan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not sure if this is in reply to my question or not, thanks if it is:) however in lieu of reading all 8,051 words on that page (and i'm sure it's great, i really enjoy his writings) could you tell me if he explains mala practice, and if so, how?

i did a ctrl+f search of the document for "mala", "beads" "mantra" and "chant" and didn't find anything about those things except a small mention of "mantra" but nothing about mala practice.
Layman, no, my post had nothing to do with your question, but is just part of the thread about Master Hua.

In future try to address by name who you are asking and/or copy the post into your questioning post as you did here.
upasaka_/\_

Post by upasaka_/\_ »

Will wrote:
upasaka_/\_ wrote:

Layman, no, my post had nothing to do with your question, but is just part of the thread about Master Hua.

In future try to address by name who you are asking and/or copy the post into your questioning post as you did here.

i have my orders! thank you sir! i shall carry them out forth with. from now on all posts shall be addressed by name to whom they are addressed to per request of you, sir!

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”