Dzogchen Practice in Everyday Life

Sönam

Dzogchen Practice in Everyday Life

Post by Sönam »

This text "Dzogchen Practice in Everyday Life" http://www.dharmamind.net/teachings/DZOG.html credited to Dielgo Khyentse Rinpoche, is to be found everywhere on the net, but nowhere there is any reference. The approach in this text does not sound very much DKR. Does anyone has a serious and credible reference for it?

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
MrDistracted

Re: Dzogchen Practice in Everyday Life

Post by MrDistracted »

I agree.

I've emailed the owner of the site you linked. Will post reply.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

This is famously and widely known as DKR's teaching.. how it is translated to English varies a bit. I did hear that he wanted it to be freely and widely disseminated. I wonder why you doubt it is his teaching?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

I have wondered about it simply because it is a very 'open' teaching and I've found it to have a different style to other teachings, and I guess because I've never seen a reference to it, and i've only seen it on the web, it's made me wonder. If it's an original work then that's all good.

edited 'gravy' for 'all good'.... :smile:
Last edited by MrDistracted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Adamantine wrote:I wonder why you doubt it is his teaching?
Because it's not his usual style, this teaching sounds more like to be a ChNN's teaching than a DKR's one ... that's why it would be interseting to have some references ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Hmm, I remember this topic coming up back on e-sangha and I thought the consensus was it was actually a teaching of Chogyam Trungpa that was mistakenly attributed to his guru, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. Maybe I remember wrong, or maybe that was never correct, though.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Hmm, I remember this topic coming up back on e-sangha and I thought the consensus was it was actually a teaching of Chogyam Trungpa that was mistakenly attributed to his guru, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. Maybe I remember wrong, or maybe that was never correct, though.
sounds more like DKR than CTR to me
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

No matter who is the author, this teaching is excellent.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

This teaching is a teaching the Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche gave his disciple Rigdzin Shikpo while still staying in Scotland. You can find the full version of this pithy teachings plus some info on the background in "the collected works of ctr" book number 1, selected writings.

best
tashi

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8302474/The-Way-of-Maha-Ati" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this

"Trungpa Rinpoche gave the Maha-Ati teachings in this text directly to me from his personal inspiration; they weren't translated from Ti­betan, but emerged from his insight, based, I'm sure, on traditional Dzogchen upadesa [instruction or teaching]. I wrote them down over a period of time with Rinpoche's guidance and encouragement, link­ing them together using his terminology. The text was probably completed in 1968 at Biddulph Old Hall, shortly before Rinpoche left for India . Some time later the text was translated into Tibetan so that Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche could check what was said; as far as I know he approved. Thus there seems to have been a textual translation involved, but remarkably it was from English into Tibetan!

After Rinpoche left Britain , some copies of the text found their way into hands other than those of his students. It was published in part by Dr. John Crook in his The Yogins of Ladakh and more com pletely in Chime Yungdung's magazine Vajra. This latter version was photocopied and circulated within Vajradhatu [the main organization founded by Trungpa Rinpoche in the United States ]. Unfortunately the text was incorrectly described in Vajra as a translation made by Rinpoche and me; there was also confusion in places between the main text and the interleaved commentary and the title was changed to "Maha-Ati."

Alone this might not have mattered too much, but in the Sham bhala Sun of September 1998 and subsequently in the Shambhala Sun website up to the present day, a new version of the text appeared, full of arbitrary, idiosyncratic editorial changes. The Vajra version with its errors was used as the basis for this . . . revision.

Rinpoche referred to the original text as self-secret, so it's proba bly suitable for a wider distribution than most Vajrayana texts, but I feel it's important to keep to Rinpoche's intention as closely as wecan.... It may help matters if the original text is published, so I have attached it to this e-mail.''

For The Collected Works Rigdzin Shikpo has provided the authoritative and original edition of this text. Its editor continues to live in Oxford , where he and Rinpoche originally met. He was one of Trungpa Rin poche's early students in England and continued to study with him until Rinpoche's death. He was one of the first truly scholarly students that Rinpoche worked with, and he took voluminous notes on their conver sations about many aspects of Buddhist doctrine and practice, particu larly focused on the ati teachings. With encouragement from his teachers, he later founded the Longchen Foundation as a vehicle to fur ther the study and practice of this tradition, and he continues to teach in England . Another article that he and Chögyam Trungpa worked on together, on teachings related to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, appears in Volume Six of The Collected Works."- foreword of the collected works book one
Last edited by Dhondrub on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Thank you Dhondrub!

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

also here rigdzin shikpo writes about the kind of dzogchen teaching the vidyadhara gave

http://books.google.de/books?id=qT7xLbS ... po&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Thank you Sonam, Dhondrub.

:anjali:
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
udawa

Post by udawa »

Sönam wrote:This text "Dzogchen Practice in Everyday Life" http://www.dharmamind.net/teachings/DZOG.html credited to Dielgo Khyentse Rinpoche, is to be found everywhere on the net, but nowhere there is any reference. The approach in this text does not sound very much DKR. Does anyone has a serious and credible reference for it?

Sönam
It's also worth noticing how different the 'version' in the link given above is to the original. There are a number of bizarre reworkings of the Way of Maha Ati out there (some involving marmots). I have seen it said that these are different translations. Rather difficult since the original was given in English in the first place.....

Also, just for the record, Biddulph Old Hall is in England, not Scotland.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

udawa wrote:
Sönam wrote:This text "Dzogchen Practice in Everyday Life" http://www.dharmamind.net/teachings/DZOG.html credited to Dielgo Khyentse Rinpoche, is to be found everywhere on the net, but nowhere there is any reference. The approach in this text does not sound very much DKR. Does anyone has a serious and credible reference for it?

Sönam
It's also worth noticing how different the 'version' in the link given above is to the original. There are a number of bizarre reworkings of the Way of Maha Ati out there (some involving marmots). I have seen it said that these are different translations. Rather difficult since the original was given in English in the first place.....

The original should be this one http://www.scribd.com/doc/8302474/The-Way-of-Maha-Ati" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And English, Scots... these people all look the same to me...
udawa

Post by udawa »

Dhondrub wrote:
udawa wrote:

Sönam

The original should be this one http://www.scribd.com/doc/8302474/The-Way-of-Maha-Ati" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And English, Scots... these people all look the same to me...
Indeed. :smile:

But given there are distorted versions of this wonderful text all over the place, and the ongoing confusion about authorship, it does no harm to be clear.

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

I totally agree, udawa
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

MrDistracted wrote:I agree.

I've emailed the owner of the site you linked. Will post reply.

This is the reply from Aloka David Smith:

'The teaching has been on the group website for some years, and from memory I found it on a website somewhere so I have no knowledge of its origin or any other information.

I'm sorry I can't help you.'
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

this approach is not unusual, however it may deny the importance of seeing dharma nature. we can just be, but unless we see the nature of this being, its subtle radiance and non duality... do we really come anywhere near buddhahood.

great masters have said theres nothing to worry about. great masters have said there is. being and seeing... two approaches that surely need to come together. once true nature is seen then its just a matter of seeing this in all things. in being, living and breathing.

or perhaps as DKR may say, dont worry about anything. i have a friend who says ''just breathe to receive''.

not taking a position on this.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Dhondrub wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 pm
The original should be this one " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The document has been deleted from scribd and is not available any longer.
Would appreciate if someone can help out. Thanks.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
passel

Post by passel »

"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Return to “Dzogchen”