Very Amazing Experience

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Malcolm

Re: Very Amazing Experience

Post by Malcolm »

YogaDude11 wrote:Have you had any experiences similar to what i have described?

Yes, but they are just experiences.

N
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Feelings of vibration in parts of the body are common experiences and don't mean much. Fewer thoughts and a feeling of bliss are signs of progress in shamatha. The general instruction is not to seek or try to prolong any experiences that arise in meditation and that applies here. Also, don't worry about what "level" or "attainment" you've reached in meditation.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

The fewer thoughts is happening as well. When that state happens that i described, there is absolutely nothing. I mean the mind is still.
krodha

Post by krodha »

YogaDude11 wrote:The fewer thoughts is happening as well. When that state happens that i described, there is absolutely nothing. I mean the mind is still.
When you rest your attention in naturalness without thinking anything whatsoever and maintain constant mindfulness in that state, you may experience a vacant and blank state of mind which is neutral and indifferent. If no vipashyana of decisive knowing is present, this is exactly what the masters call 'ignorance'. It is also called 'undecided' from the point of being unable to express any means of identification, such as "It is like this!" or "This is it!" Being unable to say what you are remaining in or thinking of, this state is labelled 'ordinary indifference'. But actually, it is just an ordinary and nonspecific abiding in the state of the all-ground.

Although nonconceptual wakefulness has to be developed through this method of resting meditation, to lack the wisdom that sees your own nature is not the main part of meditation practice. This is what the "Aspiration of Samantabhadra" says:

"The vacant state of not thinking anything
Is itself the cause of ignorance and confusion."

........(continues on from here)....

- Mipham Rinpoche

Mipham's explanation continues from there, into a form of pointing out instructions which wouldn't be appropriate for me to post (I apologize for building you up and not delivering!), but know there is some important insight to be gained from direct introduction that a teacher like Namkhai Norbu can provide... and I hope you do pursue it because you've built a strong foundation for yourself to correctly perceive what he'll be pointing at and it's nature.

Return to “Meditation”