Search found 1860 matches

by krodha
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

There is as far as the Geluk presentation is concerned, as stated before there are four. If they were not existents they would not be objects of knowledge and could not appear to the mind. Unconditioned phenomena cannot be direct objects of knowledge (i.e., objects of mind), they do not appear to t...
by krodha
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:58 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

There is the selfless: divided into two, non-existents, and existents. What is "the selfless"? All phenomena are selfless because they lack an essential nature. There is no entity called "the selfless" that is capable of being divided or remaining undivided. A synonym of 'non-existent' is 'non-phen...
by krodha
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

But cessations are existent phenomena... A cessation is merely an absence of a cause, and absence of arising, etc., if cessations are existent then they are conditioned by definition. You just cited the two forms of cessation below as unconditioned dharmas, which they are, therefore they are not co...
by krodha
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

Yes it would be correct to say it [nirvana] does not exist. Not according to Madhyamaka. Overall, nirvāṇa is a cessation and cessations are not existent entities, so I would argue the fact that nirvāṇa lacks existence goes without saying. Then there is also the undeniable point that only conditione...
by krodha
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:44 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm
krodha wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am
Grigoris wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am
It is not true for the unconditioned.
Do you mean to suggest there is an "unconditioned" that possesses some sort of existence?
Nirvana is unconditioned, right? Would it be correct to say that it does not exist?
Yes it would be correct to say it does not exist.
by krodha
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am
Aryjna wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am
:D That is true for everything anyway...
It is not true for the unconditioned.
Do you mean to suggest there is an "unconditioned" that possesses some sort of existence?
by krodha
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 69
Views: 1001

Re: Rabbit's Horns

Just as the horns on rabbits' heads,
Do not exist except in the imagination,
Phenomena are all precisely like that,
Merely imagined, having no existence.
- Dharmadhātustava
by krodha
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Choosing Yogacara over Madhyamaka
Replies: 9
Views: 260

Re: Choosing Yogacara over Madhyamaka

The Hevajra tantra says one should employ Madhyamaka in the wake of learning about Yogācāra to ensure no misconceptions of substantialism form or remain. Also worth noting, the implications of this (post Yogācāra application of Madhyamaka) is that Madhyamaka is capable of refining Yogācāra. Which m...
by krodha
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Choosing Yogacara over Madhyamaka
Replies: 9
Views: 260

Re: Choosing Yogacara over Madhyamaka

The Hevajra tantra says one should employ Madhyamaka in the wake of learning about Yogācāra to ensure no misconceptions of substantialism form or remain.
by krodha
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: How to believe in rebirth
Replies: 132
Views: 9306

Re: How to believe in rebirth

But who can provide evidence of the existence of other realms and other life-bearing planets? I am open to any evidence, but what evidence is there? There are organisms that live in volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean, that in and of itself demonstrates (i) that our notion of a proper "life b...
by krodha
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

smcj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:48 am
When a westerner can do the things I've seen Tibetans do then fine. Until then, stick to the undiluted source.
Tibetans are also exempt from misinterpretation and misassumptions?
by krodha
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

If someone wants to practice he Vajrayana this subject is important to understand. Given the common misinterpretations made by westerners I suggest asking a lama from Tibet. He will assume you understand the answer if he gives a brief explanation. Make sure you make your questions clear, otherwise ...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:29 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

Hold your teacher in high regard, but don't be naive or dumb about it. Obviously if they're out of pocket and start getting weird you should wise up and call a spade a spade. That’s exactly not seeing your teacher as a Dharmakaya Buddha. See your teacher as a dharmakāya Buddha when receiving teachi...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:36 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

Same idea, and not that radical. How do you feel about DJKR’s FB post in response to Sogyal R’s abuses? In it he tried to explain how to see an admittedly imperfect teacher as Buddha and he got flamed for it. I almost got run out of town for trying to discuss it in the abstract (without defending S...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

That quote is saying that one should see ones personal teacher, that guy sitting there playing with his iPhone, as being on par with Guru Rinpoche, Milarepa, or even Sakyamuni. You don’t find that radical? Have you checked out the DJKR thread? The prajñāpāramitā warns not to view the tathāgata as r...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:54 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

In Vajrayāna you are to view the guru as a Buddha, specifically a dharmakāya Buddha as Khenpo Ngachung states: Seeing one’s teacher as an ordinary pandit, a sublime Arhat, a sublime Bodhisattva, a nirmanakaya Buddha, or even a sambhogakaya Buddha will not do: you have to see him as the dharmakaya B...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

I disagree. Besides the quotes Astus just provided I'd like to quote Kalu R. from "Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism". Unfortunately I gave away my copy so I cannot give an exact quote. Perhaps someone else has a copy handy and can give correct my post. (It's from the first paragraph in the chapter d...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:54 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

" Our capacity to receive the compassion and blessings of the teacher and the Three Jewels, therefore, depends entirely on devotion and faith. Once, a disciple called out to the master Jowo Atisa, "Jowo, give me your blessing!" "Lax disciple," Atisa replied, "give me your devotion ... " So absolute...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 am
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: enlightment in one life
Replies: 45
Views: 1781

Re: enlightment in one life

There is no "primordial enlightenment." There is only primordial purity. Enlightenment [awakening] is an event that occurs when that primordial purity is recognized. The distinction is basically this: in cittamatra, phenomena are mental events. The way Lonchenpa explains it is like this. Bodhicitta...
by krodha
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”
Replies: 104
Views: 2604

Re: The concept of the teacher’s “blessings”

Malcolm wrote before: Byin rlabs [blessing] means quite literally "conferral [rlabs] of power [byin]." Byin is defined in Tibetan as "the ability or power to transform the minds and vision/appearances of another." The word Byin rlabs is defined in Tibetan as "the power to remain in any subject of th...