Search found 297 matches

by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

I mean according to you. I am a kilometre from the Danube, the second largest river in Europe and has about the same length as the Ganges, however, it comes from the Black Forest and not the Himalayas. The world maps usually have some part of West Africa in the middle, however, since often here "th...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

Astus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 pm
tatpurusa wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:27 pm
And that is the center of the universe?
According to some, yes. See: Lake Anavatapta.
I mean according to you.
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

Exactly. Emptiness is not a thing and avyakta prakriti is not a thing. Ulitmately speaking there are no things, just congruences of causes and conditions. I have my serious doubts about "emptiness of emptiness". Why does that not surprise me. But now we ARE veering off topic. Thanks for the irony. ...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:06 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

It is simply emptiness. Emptiness is not a thing. That is why one of the "types" of emptiness is the emptiness of emptiness, to avoid grasping at emptiness as a phenomenon. Exactly. Emptiness is not a thing and avyakta prakriti is not a thing. That is the point. I have my serious doubts about "empt...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:52 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

Prakriti refers to "the material world, nature, matter, physical and psychological character, constitution, temper, disposition". That is one interpretation as it is given in the Monier-Williams Sanskrit English Dictionary http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/ebooks/mw/0600/mw__0687.html Yes, that is ex...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

You were the one talking about karmic vision a second ago... Yes. Meaning that we as humans are not able to percieve Devaloka. Some can. Regardless, just because we cannot see something does not mean it does not exist. Anyway, even at the most basic level, different animals see the same world diffe...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

Avyakta Prakṛti is by no means form. It is void of any qualities and forms. It is potentiality, without neither tattvas nor tathatā. So it is something that comes from nothing. I think Nagarjuna just blew a valve. It is simply emptiness. PS. There are two further very interesting terms connected to...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:41 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/prakritishunyata No it does not. Prakṛtiśūnyatā refers to the emptiness (dependently arisen nature) of form. Here you arbitrarily translate prakṛti as "form". This is not a translation but an interpretation. There are two basic possibilities to translate this te...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:27 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

You are just talking about distant things from our own realm. Exactly. And Mount Meru is within our realm too according to the descriptions. That's where the four great rivers, like the Ganges, come from. One just needs to follow them back to their source. And that is the center of the universe?
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:09 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

The clue is imagined. In order to imagine something unpercievable to us we need symbols. Beyond the room I'm sitting in the rest of the world I can only imagine. And even where I now sit is processed by the mind. But it doesn't mean the idea of a street outside refers to something imperceptible. Si...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:06 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:37 pm
tatpurusa wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 pm
What is the point you are trying to make?

That the world is exactly like this?
You were the one talking about karmic vision a second ago...
Yes. Meaning that we as humans are not able to percieve Devaloka.
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:04 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

Prakṛtiśūnyatā corresponds to Avyakta Prakṛti https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/prakritishunyata No it does not. Prakṛtiśūnyatā refers to the emptiness (dependently arisen nature) of form. Avyakta Prakṛti refers to form that has yet to be manifested. Avyakta Prakṛti is by no means form. It is vo...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:10 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

Astus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm
... how they imagined the world to be.
The clue is imagined.
In order to imagine something unpercievable to us we need symbols.
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:00 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

Agree, not directly. But a lot of terms originating from Samkhya have been used, even if often reinterpreted. Not at all. I would say. If you have some evidence of it's use I would like to see it. Prakṛtiśūnyatā corresponds to Avyakta Prakṛti https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/prakritishunyata
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

In order to connect to, visualize, imagine or understand other realms and other beings we need symbols. There are four major and eight intermediate continents around Sumeru, all populated by humans, so easily perceptible to us. The southern one, where all of us is supposed to be, is described just ...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

No. Atman has nothing to do with ego. Ego is part of human prakṛti, called ahamkāra. As it is part of prakṛti it is considered material, though pertaining to a very subtle layer of it. But neither Atman nor ahamkāra are part of Buddhism. Prakṛti also has nothing to do with Buddhism. Agree, not dire...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

Or would you say the descriptions found in various texts from Asanga's Abhidharmasamuccaya (p 82) to Mipham's Gateway to Knowledge (vol 2, ch 8) are somehow meditation instructions? In order to understand mythology and cosmology it is important to consider karmic vision. It is said that all beings ...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

These are descriptions of the way how to visualize it for certain meditative practices. That does not negate the cosmological view. Just because there is meditation on the six realms, it does not mean those realms do not actually exist. Quite the opposite, one meditates on them because they are rea...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What is Mount Meru?
Replies: 130
Views: 2076

Re: What is Mount Meru?

What has not yet been discussed is: who says what Mount Meru is? The Pali Canon mentions it only a few times (mainly: SN 13.11 ; 22.99 ; 56.49 ; 56.50 ; AN 3.80 ; 7.66 ; 10.29 ). Most of the cosmological explanations are found in commentaries, and not even the Abhidhamma elaborates on it. However, ...
by tatpurusa
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:52 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Observation = Ego?
Replies: 47
Views: 728

Re: Observation = Ego?

Tirisilex wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 am
Ego is self.
No. Atman has nothing to do with ego.
Ego is part of human prakṛti, called ahamkāra. As it is part of prakṛti it is considered material, though
pertaining to a very subtle layer of it.
But neither Atman nor ahamkāra are part of Buddhism.

Go to advanced search