Search found 834 matches

by odysseus
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Boycotting as an ethical method
Replies: 3
Views: 288

Boycotting as an ethical method

Lately, I've started boycotting more companies and their products. Not gonna mention who they are, but it's for various reasons like animal testing, employee abuses, and bad customer service. My list of boycotts is not big, so it's easy to do without brooding over it every time I shop. I can mostly ...
by odysseus
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Is Dharma practice a struggle for you?
Replies: 42
Views: 3101

Re: Is Dharma practice a struggle for you?

Queequeg wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:56 pm
How can this be anything but the Joy of the Dharma?
Yup, Buddhism is meant to bring happiness. It's not a competition.
by odysseus
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:38 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Is Dharma practice a struggle for you?
Replies: 42
Views: 3101

Re: Is Dharma practice a struggle for you?

It's up to us! I like to say that Buddhism is easy, we just need knowledge and training. But we might create obstacles for ourselves and society can make it difficult too. So if we have difficulties, it's not Buddhism's fault. But this is no reason to blame ourselves either. At this time, I also str...
by odysseus
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Working in the entertainment industry
Replies: 36
Views: 1415

Re: Working in the entertainment industry

Does Buddhism condemn those who work in the entertainment industry (actors, singers, dancers)? Is it considered a wrong livelihood to be in such profession? Nothing wrong with being an artist per se. But this occupation also needs ethics, because artists can influence people and should know what th...
by odysseus
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:38 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: This Western Dharma experiment has been unsuccessful
Replies: 79
Views: 3568

Re: This Western Dharma experiment has been unsuccessful

My view is that Buddhism in the West is doing well. If we view past the prophecy that Buddhism will decline, I think it looks bright. It's only a century since it was introduced. The most important is that it's accessible to people. No worries about bad organisation or bad teachers or lack of teache...
by odysseus
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: In the footsteps of Tilopa and Naropa and Shantideva
Replies: 1
Views: 382

In the footsteps of Tilopa and Naropa and Shantideva

The old tantrics preferrred to work amongst scum and whores. Well, so do I. I know only losers, drug abusers and bully victims.

I don't say this to brag, but what do you think? The deepest suffering is where we find peace and love. But it's tough.
by odysseus
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 am
Forum: Prayers and Aspirations
Topic: I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!
Replies: 58
Views: 3766

Re: I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!

I believe everyone has infinite potential, So do I, but there could happen obstacles on the way. An example is the Angulimala story, to illustrate that he was able to do something to clean up his act, so he could live a happy life but he did never reach Nirvana. He had to wait till another life for...
by odysseus
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 pm
Forum: Prayers and Aspirations
Topic: I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!
Replies: 58
Views: 3766

Re: I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!

Please help me to become a Doctor (MD) so that I can sponsor teachings and retreats! Please pray for me and recite mantras for me and dedicate merit to me so that I may realize my aspiration. :smile: Thank you kindly. :namaste: MD means "managing director" and any health worker using this title is ...
by odysseus
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 am
This post answered your question fully. All you need do is unpack it..which will take some cross-referencing and a little familiarity with the concepts mentioned.
Thanks, even better! You summed it all up for us and I rest my case about the existence of reality.

:applause:
by odysseus
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Another reality is own idea – fabrication, not an idea by any fellows or any other things, which would be again belief in independence of things-ones. That's riiigghht! The concept of "several realities" is like believeing your dreams are real and parts of "the one and only, singular reality". Wars...
by odysseus
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am
The idea that there is one reality is not Buddhadharma. You are not getting it.
I'm sooo sooorrrrry, but I won't take your word for it unless you can clarify with a valid argument and follow up with a conclusion. But no need for empirical evidence, buddy. :zzz:
by odysseus
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Man, what do you mean? Do you hold that reality doesn't exist at all? Please elaborate, your statement is arousing our curiousity. All realities arise through interdependent origination. Ultimately, what reality is there to talk about? Indeed, there's only one reality in existence so there is no po...
by odysseus
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

There is no 'one and only single reality'. That's Vedanta, not Buddhadharma. Man, what do you mean? Do you hold that reality doesn't exist at all? Please elaborate, your statement is arousing our curiousity. :popcorn: It's also still on-topic what you claim, so I will try to prove that reality exis...
by odysseus
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

heart wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:51 am
Do you think relative truth is an reality, yes or no?

/magnus
DGA is not me, but a relative truth is also something real = a part of the one and only, singular reality. :hi:
by odysseus
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

DGA wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm

That's OK. I think it's an important distinction, but not all of us agree.
Are you sure that all of us don't agree?

Reality: something that is real = part of the one and only, singular reality
Truth: a fact one is unable to refute.
by odysseus
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:29 am
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'
Replies: 75
Views: 3620

Re: Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 am

Pep's genius is very likely to give rise to dukkha sooner or later.
It's the other way around, because a thrilling soccer match is entertaining and brings joy. :D
by odysseus
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:23 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Beneath that there is an ultimate reality, "Ultimate reality" is a moronic idea, it just means some type of a common truth which is valid for everyone. The "ultimate truth" is that there exists only "the one and only, singular" reality in the Universe. It is a quite normal Buddhist idea, if you thi...
by odysseus
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Beneath that there is an ultimate reality,
"Ultimate reality" is a moronic idea, it just means some type of a common truth which is valid for everyone. The "ultimate truth" is that there exists only "the one and only, singular" reality in the Universe.
by odysseus
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?
Replies: 61
Views: 3915

Re: Where is Sakyamuni Buddha?

Where is Shakyamuni Buddha?

He is mostly in Nirvana, but he appears to people on Earth via a dimension door in our solar system. But he is not omnipotent like a creator-god.
by odysseus
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Unkindness at dharmawheel
Replies: 137
Views: 8917

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

DGA wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:55 pm
Sure, but lying to myself
Can you hear yourself in your head? Then it's not lies, because Buddha speaks the truth. Even if Mara wants to be Buddha, he is not able to lie to you if he ever manages to become the Buddha - no! :good:

Go to advanced search