Search found 3546 matches

by heart
Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Lamas and their empowerments
Replies: 4
Views: 212

Re: Lamas and their empowerments

Tenma wrote:I've tried to look up the lamas, but I haven't been successful. Could anyone please name a lama I can contact for this?


Any qualified Nyingma master, up to you who you want to approach.

/magnus
by heart
Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:09 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Is Kunjed Gyalpo the word of Garab Dorje ?
Replies: 2
Views: 220

Re: Is Kunjed Gyalpo the word of Garab Dorje ?

In a way i consider the kunjed gyalpo collection as a reactionary tantra against the schema of 8 yanas and their methodologies. But how well known was this schema at the time of Garab Dorje ? My thoughts are that the repeated rejection of this schema it was generated as a reaction and a response to...
by heart
Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:19 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Tsa Lung
Replies: 40
Views: 3769

Re: Tsa Lung

Jyotish wrote:So it seems like tsa lung and tummo are different systems. Is that true? May be the have same effects on subtle body?


Tummo is a practice based on the system of tsa (channels) and lung (winds).

/magnus
by heart
Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:05 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

conebeckham wrote:Magnus, I think you meant to say "bskyed rim doesn't really work without rDzogs rim," and not "rDzogs chen." At least, I hope so! :smile:


Well rDzogs rim in the context I am talking about is rDzogs chen.

/magnus
by heart
Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

Thinking you need perfect shamata to arrive at vipassana is common but the truth is that shamata always have some vipassana. In fact it is impossible to develop shamata without a little bit of vipassana. Really, so all Hindus have a little bit of vipaśyāna in their śamatha? Really? I don't really k...
by heart
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

4 yogas of Mahamudra. You speak of "realisations", in plural, which I assume would refer to something like "stages". As far as I understand the direct introduction given by Norbu Rinpoche in webcast is either "on" or "off", meaning that you either get it or d...
by heart
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

The creation stage is completely conceptual. Experiences are nothing but concepts. The reason we have a completion stage to begin with is to remedy the conceptuality of the creation stage. That is only true if you practice them in that order, the annutaratantra style. In the Nyingma they are insepa...
by heart
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

4 yogas of Mahamudra. You speak of "realisations", in plural, which I assume would refer to something like "stages". As far as I understand the direct introduction given by Norbu Rinpoche in webcast is either "on" or "off", meaning that you either get it or d...
by heart
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

I don't agree. Doing the generation stage make you have experiences that can't be grasped or understood by conceptual ideas. If Dharma was a conceptual idea everyone would have figured it out by now, enlightenment would be a university course. The creation stage is completely conceptual. Experience...
by heart
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:36 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

...because generation stage practices are the cause of completion stage Let’s say there are two kids being taught a lesson by a parent. The parent picks up a basket ball and tells both kids “kids, the world is a round orb, similar to this ball only a lot bigger, it might take time but you can walk ...
by heart
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:06 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?
Replies: 210
Views: 4125

Re: Mahamudra or Dzogchen without tantric empowerment?

Do teachings or practices of mahamudra or dzogchen without tantric empowerment, and deity practice, exist? There are "rigpai tsal wangs" for Semde, Longde and Mengakde in Dzogchen as well as all kinds of informal direct introductions. http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Atiyoga /magnus
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:57 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission
Replies: 28
Views: 987

Re: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission

Karma_Yeshe wrote:
heart wrote:If he was the son of a prostitute or the son of a king (...).
/magnus


He could also be both at the same time, couldn't he?

KY


Yes, maybe :smile:

/magnus
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:31 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission
Replies: 28
Views: 987

Re: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission

BTW, you will be very surprised to learn that in the Great Chronicle it is claimed that Śakyamuni was the son of a prostitute rather than a king. Those things don't surprise me anymore. :smile: /magnus It is a very strange claim. If he was the son of a prostitute or the son of a king his activity w...
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission
Replies: 28
Views: 987

Re: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission

If I understand correctly Dharma Senge made a "critical edition" of the The Great Image based on five other versions of the same text. At least that is what he says and I see no particular reason to don't trust that. It is anyway pretty clear to me that it is a very inspiring book. His ed...
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission
Replies: 28
Views: 987

Re: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission

If I understand correctly Dharma Senge made a "critical edition" of the The Great Image based on five other versions of the same text. At least that is what he says and I see no particular reason to don't trust that. It is anyway pretty clear to me that it is a very inspiring book. His ed...
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:22 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Nagkpa or Nyingma shawl and dress
Replies: 46
Views: 1278

Re: Nagkpa or Nyingma shawl and dress

Would you say that the above pictured yogins are caught up in the rind because they maintain the samaya of ngakpa garb and accouterments? I would have to meet them personally to find out. I don't judge people from pictures. I went to Tashi Jong and met them many years ago. They live on the sloop of...
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:17 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission
Replies: 28
Views: 987

Re: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission

Hi Magnus: The Great Image translated by Ani Jinpa is a very flawed book (though not because of her translation). If you look at the colophon, you will see that it was cobbled together and edited from various sources in the late 19th century by Dharma Senge because he thought the original terma ver...
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:28 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission
Replies: 28
Views: 987

Re: Q's about reading the Kunje Gyalpo, and transmission

We should just be grown up about it and derive our confidence in the teachings based on what they teach, not where they are supposed to come from. Isn't kama literature based on transmission and this transmission itself based on historical figures ? Are we to disregard that ? To me this is being gr...
by heart
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Nagkpa or Nyingma shawl and dress
Replies: 46
Views: 1278

Re: Nagkpa or Nyingma shawl and dress

I have the aspiration of wearing these robes and be a yogi. I like the idea of not being a monk nor a layman but a dharma practitioner. I have read all the threads about this topic and I still have many questions regarding this so I hope you can clarify this for me. As has already been pointed out,...
by heart
Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:50 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Nagkpa or Nyingma shawl and dress
Replies: 46
Views: 1278

Re: Nagkpa or Nyingma shawl and dress

Pema Khandro has made a 3-year retreat? :smile: When someone say you should ask your teacher they mean the master you are dedicated to and have full confidence in because he/she has introduced you to the nature of your mind. If you have such a master you ask him/her, if not you wait until you find ...

Go to advanced search