Search found 4607 matches

by Astus
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:21 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm
any practice one with Mahāyāna motivation becomes a Mahāyāna practice
How can motivation be a sufficient criteria? That would mean even a mistaken idea about the path leads to buddhahood.
by Astus
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:51 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm
Your answer is a non sequitur.
In that case I was simply wrong in my presumption that by that you were rejecting the whole section on there being more to Mahayana than having motivation. :anjali:
by Astus
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 am
I don’t accept the 55 level scheme.
I don't think that's a problem, since it is not important in Zen except for some advocates of gradual practice. The point still remains, however, that to have the bodhisattva motivation one needs some level of faith and understanding as well.
by Astus
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

This refers strictly to āryabodhisattvas. It does not refer to bodhisattvas on the paths of accumulation or application. What I meant is that vow is not enough, one also needs some level of understanding, faith, renunciation, and compassion, since without those even the vow is baseless. So for inst...
by Astus
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Obviously your first contention is wrong since the four foundations of mindfulness are found by that name in countless Mahāyāna sūtras. The name is there, the content varies. Any practice done with Mahāyāna motivation becomes a Mahāyāna practice. Motivation is only one half. "If a bodhisattva abide...
by Astus
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:36 am
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

There are of course differences in the presentations, but it is incorrect to state that the four foundations of mindfulness are absent in Mahāyāna, which was your contention above. My points above were: 1. the four foundations of mindfulness is considered a hearer method, 2. the method taught withi...
by Astus
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: All is One
Replies: 35
Views: 469

Re: All is One

"Two comes from one,
Yet do not even keep the one.
When one mind does not arise,
Myriad dharmas are without defect."

(Sengcan: Faith in Mind)
by Astus
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

There are far more sources for the four foundations of mindfulness than that sutta. Mahāyāna is very rich with them. The question still remains: who practises them? Also, what constitutes a "Mahayana smrtyupasthana" is not the same as in Theravada. Hence it is neither practised nor accepted because...
by Astus
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

No, the four foundations of mindfulness are found throughout all Buddhadharma. And the four noble truths are not? Also, do you know a Mahayana tradition that actually practises what is written in the Satipatthana Sutta? However, even if the four foundations of mindfulness are discussed, it is diffe...
by Astus
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 pm
By whom?
By those who say that the sravakayana is the four noble truths.
by Astus
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

They do not contain zazen instructions which we are talking about. I did not write zazen instructions, I wrote "private instructions and personal stories". It could also be added that meditation manuals were very much present both in the format of translated scriptures and treatises from India, and...
by Astus
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:21 am
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anapanasati That is mindfulness and not control of breath (pranayama). Tiantai and Chan. Tiantai has the " Six Dharma Gates to the Sublime " , while in Chan the whole curriculum of calming and contemplation was categorised as a lower level practice. its worth noting in...
by Astus
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Matylda wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 pm
What do you mean by 'Chan school that started to publish private instructions'? Where and how?
Mainly in the lamp transmission (傳燈) and sayings records (語錄).
by Astus
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

The point is that one cannot find in any early and later Chinese zen texts much information about zazen direct instructions, if any then they are very obscure. That's because Chan was not conceived as the "meditation school", especially not in the format of emphasising sitting. Quite the contrary, ...
by Astus
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:52 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

It must be the case that he carried these kinds of instructions with him, though whether they were passed on in any significant way is anybody's guess. The Yijinjing is a "qigong" manual attributed to Bodhidharma, and one of the sources of "Shaolin kung-fu", even though it was actually written in t...
by Astus
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

The general approach to Zen practice as a yogic or wholly psycho-physical undertaking rather than something purely psychological and intellectual doesn't originate with Hakuin, as I have said before in other threads. The records of early (Kamakura) Zen in Japan clearly show that this emphasis exist...
by Astus
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Western Myth of Zen
Replies: 162
Views: 9841

Re: Western Myth of Zen

Meido wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm
The primary Western myth of Zen is that Zen practice and awakening are psychological affairs.
Aside from Hakuin's incorporation of breath techniques, do you know of any other Buddhist school in East Asia that did something similar?
by Astus
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:11 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Yes, you need a teacher.
Replies: 263
Views: 5770

Re: Yes, you need a teacher.

But I disagree if someone wants to make an absolutist statement and say: "it's impossible to make any progress without a personal teacher" There are always rare exceptions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushi-dokugo That is not the appropriate example, because the need of a teacher discussed here i...
by Astus
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:04 am
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Yes, you need a teacher.
Replies: 263
Views: 5770

Re: Yes, you need a teacher.

Of course there are. There are reams of passages that define the qualities of a kayānamitra. The terms guru and kalayānamitra are intimately connected in Mahāyāna Sūtras. The reason I mentioned the exclusion of the monastic side is because it seems most of the kalyanamitras are within a renounced e...
by Astus
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 am
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Yes, you need a teacher.
Replies: 263
Views: 5770

Re: Yes, you need a teacher.

conebeckham wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 pm
not according to your definition...
These personal teachers are much more than that.
It can be extended, or call it another type, etc. I was mostly referring to the requirement of availability for such a personal teacher you mentioned.