Search found 377 matches

by BrianG
Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Resources on Dharma Protectors
Replies: 20
Views: 1846

Re: Resources on Dharma Protectors

Sherab Dorje wrote:
rai wrote:would that be possible that he just simply died?
In the end, everybody simply dies. They breath out one last time and...
Prince Siddhartha did not die
by BrianG
Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 am
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: How do buddhas contact people?
Replies: 52
Views: 5480

Re: How do buddhas contact people?

The Buddha has contacted people for prayers recently.

I don't know how the Buddha contacts people, because I am not a Buddha.
by BrianG
Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 am
Forum: Wellness, Diet and Fitness
Topic: Yoga Camp
Replies: 1
Views: 2863

Yoga Camp

Hey everyone, Here's what is going to be a great introductory series, if you are interested in doing physical yoga. This is a good introduction, because the instructor is friendly, and has a gentle approach( no arm balances on day 1! ) Physical yoga has a number of benefits for Dharma practice. 1. B...
by BrianG
Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:30 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain
Replies: 21
Views: 2747

Re: I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain

Sorry to hear you're so often in pain. Have you tried all available treatments/therapies /lifestyle changes? There is growing evidence to support the claim that sub-hallucinogenic doses of lsd & the active component in shrooms [psyclobin] can cure or at least diminish the severity of cluster-headac...
by BrianG
Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:50 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra
Replies: 25
Views: 8622

Re: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra

Are you serious. Are you saying because there is secret mantra, I should not freely spread dharanis to people who are entited, by nature, and by the Buddha way, to receive and practice them? By the way, this dharani is a special practice of Vajrapani, so careful what you say badly about it. You are...
by BrianG
Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:44 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Yogacara + Tathagatagharba = Shentong
Replies: 280
Views: 26005

Re: Yogacara + Tathagatagharba = Shentong

smcj wrote:
....ChNN has explained many times that gzhan stong view is not actually compatible with Dzogchen.
Be that as it may, evidently Karma Kagyupas think Shentong is compatible with Mahamudra.
Karma Kagyupas also think Mahamudra is sutra. They are not that great at scholarship.
by BrianG
Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:41 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra
Replies: 25
Views: 8622

Re: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra

You should not be teaching people dharanis, when there is Secret Mantra.
by BrianG
Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:45 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: such a great (not an) individual
Replies: 16
Views: 2054

Re: such a great (not an) individual

of course you are right about the relative self, as in "my self" existing dependently. and we agree also that self-centered attitude (is close to) what causes samsara. so let's return to two question of this post. What causes Samsara is relative to the state of a mindstream. From the point of view ...
by BrianG
Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:27 am
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra
Replies: 25
Views: 8622

Re: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra

In closing, I tell you this: there are many teachings in this world, and much clinging to tantra and secret practices and secret teachings. None of them can be said to be beyond the Treasure Chest Seal. If you learn it and gain samadhi with it, you should not feel inferior to any other practice. No...
by BrianG
Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:37 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: such a great (not an) individual
Replies: 16
Views: 2054

Re: such a great (not an) individual

now. here we are in samsara. we think about Rachel. what a great nurse she was caring selflessly for the dienfrachsed and other living beings as well. but in the case of Rachel, her achievement is enlightenment and selflessness. it went, went beyond, went way way beyond. "...in emptiness there is n...
by BrianG
Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:04 pm
Forum: Buddhist Tantra Talk
Topic: Dharmadoya
Replies: 1
Views: 1192

Re: Dharmadoya

If this is moved to "Buddhist Tantra Talk" I can answer.
by BrianG
Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:01 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain
Replies: 21
Views: 2747

Re: I spend the majority of the day in agonizing pain

Right now I'm suffering from a severe gout attack, but I'm pretty happy anyway.

I'd recommend practicing Vajrayana Buddhism, where it should not be that difficult to make progress.
by BrianG
Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:21 am
Forum: Meditation
Topic: Unable to visualize
Replies: 36
Views: 9335

Re: Unable to visualize

Try visualizing your teacher in the form of the deity. Yes, I understand that this is a method. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. But "in the form of the deity" means you need to visualise the deity. The images I generate of deities seem rather wooden. Maybe what I'm asking is how to connect more de...
by BrianG
Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:41 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Yogacara + Tathagatagharba = Shentong
Replies: 280
Views: 26005

Re: Yogacara + Tathagatagharba = Shentong

The point is that there is only one vehicle, not many. That's why I object to yana snobbery. All authentic teachings come from unsurpassed enlightenment, the ultimate perspective. It's not as if the lower yanas were taught from a lower level of realization. And every generation of realized masters,...
by BrianG
Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:40 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Realizing four thoughts
Replies: 15
Views: 2117

Re: Realizing four thoughts

pael wrote:What if, only thing you realize in this life is precious human birth and then die, does it help? If in next life you are not human? Which of four thoughts is the most important, if you must choose?
Impermanence, because it is the most meritorious of the four thoughts.
by BrianG
Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:04 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Prayer beads
Replies: 4
Views: 588

Re: Prayer beads

Hello, I was wondering if prayer beads made from different materials have different meanings in Buddhism? I was wondering if prayer beads are only used for meditation purpose. Yes. They have different meanings. For instance crystal malas are often used for Avalokiteshvara practice. The reason is th...
by BrianG
Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:35 am
Forum: Meditation
Topic: Unable to visualize
Replies: 36
Views: 9335

Re: Unable to visualize

I have no problem visualising images of the masters I admire but I find deity visualisation harder. All the advice in this thread is helpful but I'd be interested in views on this. It seems to me that it's easier where the visualisation is based on a photograph or, of course, where you can visualis...
by BrianG
Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:52 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: such a great (not an) individual
Replies: 16
Views: 2054

Re: such a great (not an) individual

dearestwhen we honor a buddhist human and say that he or she was so great, nagajuna, chandrakirti, rabjampa, padmasambava, etc... ....are we currupting the whole path like a tele-evangelist? No, it is extremely virtuous. ...what I mean, if the whole path is focused on emptiness... Emptiness was tau...
by BrianG
Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:12 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Lamas and Monks that Drink and Smoke - Is it Normal?
Replies: 32
Views: 5077

Re: Lamas and Monks that Drink and Smoke - Is it Normal?

Achariya Mun was a Theravada monk. Since tobacco is an American plant, it was not around for the Buddha to have an opinion about, so it's not mentioned in the Vinaya. Many Burmese monks smoke whacking great cheroots. Many Thai monks smoke. They don't consider it a violation of the precepts, since s...
by BrianG
Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:23 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Buddha, true death and escape from reincanation.
Replies: 28
Views: 2942

Re: Buddha, true death and escape from reincanation.

dazdaryl wrote:It is my opinion that a Buddha is one who has attained total liberation from reincarnation, and that therefore Buddha is dead.
That's not quite right. The Buddha attained total liberation from rebirth, by realizing that there is nothing that can die, and therefore quit grasping.

Go to advanced search