Search found 969 matches

by Sherab
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

That was wise of them. Perhaps, but I do hope that we can keep arguing about the oracle stuff. :popcorn: Predicted response: Sherab will argue that precedence is not sufficiently reasonable..... This is really uncalled for since I have already stated that it is both unskillful and unnecessary for a...
by Sherab
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Buddhas have no intentions. So how does that makes it impossible for a Buddha to manifest specifically through a medium since having no intentions does not preclude the Buddha from manifesting as as anything anyway. Sure it does, a buddha cannot manifest as a mara, for example. All the activities o...
by Sherab
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Aryjna wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:10 am

Of course.
What does "fake" exactly mean?

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28200
That they are lying and putting on a show of being mediums.
That is one possibility. Another possibility is that the mediums were channelling beings who posed as Buddhas or Bodhisattvas.
by Sherab
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:53 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:22 am
Sherab wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:40 pm


Yes, they cannot.
Why?
Buddhas have no intentions.
So how does that makes it impossible for a Buddha to manifest specifically through a medium since having no intentions does not preclude the Buddha from manifesting as as anything anyway.
by Sherab
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:40 pm
Sherab wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 pm


The post I was responding asserted that a Buddha CANNOT manifest through oracle.
Yes, they cannot.
Why?
by Sherab
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Just to echo an older discussion on the topic of oracles, JKhedrup, who spent some time at Sera Je: There is a huge difference between manifesting THROUGH oracles and manifesting AS AN oracle. A Buddha can manifest as or emanate anything. Therefore, there is no reason why a Buddha cannot manifest o...
by Sherab
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:33 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye
Replies: 329
Views: 6388

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Just to echo an older discussion on the topic of oracles, JKhedrup, who spent some time at Sera Je: I just checked with Geshe Sonam now to confirm what I have relayed here is accurate. He said every lama he has heard teach on this topic has stated that fully enlightened Buddhas cannot manifest thro...
by Sherab
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:25 pm
Forum: Nichiren
Topic: Relationship between provisional and true
Replies: 12
Views: 411

Re: Relationship between provisional and true

...honestly discarding the provisional teachings, the Thus Come One must now reveal the truth. - Lotus Sutra, chapter two I'm gonna review the preceding posts several times before I comment further. My 2 cents: Discarding of the provisional teachings should only be done when one has progressed far ...
by Sherab
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:38 am
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Non-Duality in Dzogchen vs Advaita Vedanta
Replies: 488
Views: 37243

Re: Non-Duality in Dzogchen vs Advaita Vedanta

This is not the forum for that argument. Just saying, that's all. But you must have posted the quote in response to my post for a purpose. Otherwise your post is pointless. I am guessing that the purpose of your post was to suggest that Buddhism may not be the only religion that argues that there a...
by Sherab
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:31 am
Forum: Discovering Mahayana Buddhism
Topic: Why samsara exists
Replies: 77
Views: 3633

Re: Why samsara exists

Hello, can anyone explain me, why samsara exists? Why we are unperfect and imprisoned in samsara? Is it some kind of punishment? I know that we are in samsara because of our karma, but why samsaric system generally exists? Thank you, Arcturus My opinion: Samsara "exists" because some form of consci...
by Sherab
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:08 am
Forum: Discovering Mahayana Buddhism
Topic: Why samsara exists
Replies: 77
Views: 3633

Re: Why samsara exists

Hello, can anyone explain me, why samsara exists? Why we are unperfect and imprisoned in samsara? Is it some kind of punishment? I know that we are in samsara because of our karma, but why samsaric system generally exists? Thank you, Arcturus Samsara (and nirvana) exists because some form of consci...
by Sherab
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:44 am
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Non-Duality in Dzogchen vs Advaita Vedanta
Replies: 488
Views: 37243

Re: Non-Duality in Dzogchen vs Advaita Vedanta

I would even argue that in Buddhism, there is no such thing as a miracle. It is merely a phenomenon whose working is not understood. 'Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature' ~ St Augustine And you do not think that what St Augustine said might just be in...
by Sherab
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:53 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Non-Duality in Dzogchen vs Advaita Vedanta
Replies: 488
Views: 37243

Re: Non-Duality in Dzogchen vs Advaita Vedanta

I don't think there is any difference. There is a monumental difference. My understanding is that Advaita posits a single unified cosmic conscious that all of us are individual expressions of (albeit, unknowing). Mahamudra/Dzogchen/Prajnaparamita/Tahagatagarbha theory says nothing of the sort. Inde...
by Sherab
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:29 am
Forum: East Asian Buddhism
Topic: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought
Replies: 283
Views: 8295

Re: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought

You hold the view that there is only cognition that is conventional, i.e. cognition that goes through a sense media. I hold that there is cognition which goes through an intermediary and a cognition which does not. This is a point of disagreement. The issue is that you are conflating contexts. In t...
by Sherab
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 am
Forum: Academic Discussion
Topic: ‘Dharmas do not arise’
Replies: 49
Views: 1784

Re: ‘Dharmas do not arise’

Thought I throw in something off the beaten track into the mix. It is quite close to the perspective in this thread I think, just from a different angle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSrzlkfA0jk
by Sherab
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Mind-streams: Separate?
Replies: 114
Views: 2148

Re: Mind-streams: Separate?

We're not quite connecting here. My point is, the onion or plantain tree as a metaphor leaves something to be desired. it suggests that it is possible to peel the layers back and get to some "zero". In a way it is possible, and that is the standard analysis performed in vipasyana. "when they are br...
by Sherab
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:56 pm
Forum: East Asian Buddhism
Topic: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought
Replies: 283
Views: 8295

Re: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought

The basic problem is this: when recognition is convention, it is non-veridical. Recognition is a conventional occurrence. What are we ideally recognizing? The dharmatā of phenomena, which is their non-arising. We present that non-arising as the ultimate truth of the given dharma in question, but ev...
by Sherab
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 pm
Forum: East Asian Buddhism
Topic: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought
Replies: 283
Views: 8295

Re: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought

You did not explain tome that Richardson already proved Madhyamaka does not stand up when cast in the language of Quine. You made a statement to that effect only if I remember correctly. I did say that I cannot comment on Richardson as I have not read it. Early Madhyamaka in China. That is your ass...
by Sherab
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:27 pm
Forum: East Asian Buddhism
Topic: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought
Replies: 283
Views: 8295

Re: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought

An ontological non-duality [sanatanadharma] is where everything is reduced to a single substance that exists alone by itself. For example if subject and object were merged and we then held a view that the union of the two as a single X is truly substantial and valid. This cannot be true as it impli...
by Sherab
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:11 pm
Forum: East Asian Buddhism
Topic: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought
Replies: 283
Views: 8295

Re: "One Mind" in Hua Yen thought

Actually, you just disproved your own logic. I just took the form of your argument and simply changed the terms. I substituted the term "pipe" for ultimate truth, the definition of a "pipe" for the definition of ultimate reality as "veridical perception of a given entity." I also used the term "jus...