Search found 5753 matches

by DGA
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:33 pm
Forum: Nichiren
Topic: Gohonzon Offerings
Replies: 8
Views: 98

Re: Gohonzon Offerings

As far as prayers for offerings, that may be one area where schools differ considerably; and within as well. In my experience in SGI and NSA offerings are preceeded and followed by not much more than a gassho and possibly daimoku. I should think suitably dedicating the merit wouldn't be out of plac...
by DGA
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights
Replies: 61
Views: 1767

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:51 pm
For what it's worth, and my knowledge of Zen is rather less than zero, the Zennist who most impresses me, and I find always worth reading, is Meido.
Agreed.
by DGA
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Dont follow a lineage (etc.), follow a teacher
Replies: 65
Views: 1308

Re: Dont follow a lineage (etc.), follow a teacher

walk in my shoes... then, tell me that. As far as I know in zen, ordinary mind is not judgemental mind.... not even close Rely on the message of the teacher, not on his personality Rely on the meaning, not just on the words Rely on the real meaning, not on the provisional one Rely on your wisdom mi...
by DGA
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm
Forum: Zen Community Round Table
Topic: Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)
Replies: 143
Views: 1533

Re: Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

I'm headed up to Takoma Park for Ka Shin Zendo, in the morning. They have the same meeting days as the days I have off. Plus they have people who know people who know people i know. Perhaps things dont always happen randomly; maybe they do, but fortuitious circumstances are always welcomed :sage: i...
by DGA
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:43 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: Hello! I am back
Replies: 14
Views: 269

Re: Hello! I am back

Its a bit challenging because it seems black and white without the grey area which addresses the question on how lay people can optimise their Buddhist practice as lay people before taking up robes. Well there are so many threads to look through but I guess there is not harm in starting a thread wh...
by DGA
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: and because they are synonymous with Mind, they are sentient beings
Replies: 18
Views: 291

Re: and because they are synonymous with Mind, they are sentient beings

Interesting discussion. So it's not that the rock has a separate mindstream, according to the Ven Dōgen quote, it's that the rock is in your head. Not seperate after all Dogen does not discuss things in that way. Look at his comment on the story quoted in Sangai-yuishi (SBGZ BDK ed, vol 3, p 66-67):...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 102
Views: 1739

Re: Rabbit's Horns

Is a digital image of a rabbit with antlers the same as a rabbit with horns? If so, then... how on earth is that anything but incoherent? Socially useful fiction. Ok ... Your turn, show me 2+2=5. PS: Just because 2+2=4 is not like “all grey elephants are elephants” or “all swans are white” doesn’t m...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Preparing for Ordination
Replies: 17
Views: 247

Re: Preparing for Ordination

Dharmasherab wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:22 am
how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist
Find a trustworthy teacher.

Listen with care to that teacher's instruction.

Follow the guidance you are given to the very best of your ability.

Go on like this.

Keep going...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 am
Forum: Engaged Buddhism
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 4
Views: 178

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

"Engaged Buddhism" appears to be a strawman in this post. With whom do you disagree, specifically? On what grounds ?
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 am
Forum: Nichiren
Topic: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts
Replies: 25
Views: 368

Re: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts

The competition in Japan, if anything, was more intense than in China. A lot of pressure to invent some new way to frame something. It leads to brilliant insights occasionally, this pressure for Imperial patronage and funding, but it also leads to some BS being pedalled, if I am not out of bounds t...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 am
Forum: Nichiren
Topic: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts
Replies: 25
Views: 368

Re: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts

I think I may have just thought of a potential application of shōju by the Zen Master Dōgen in his Shōbōgenzō. National Teacher Enkan Saian in Kangshū Province was an esteemed Master under Baso. He once pointed out to his assembly, “All sentient beings are possessed of Buddha Nature.” Right away, w...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 am
Forum: Nichiren
Topic: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts
Replies: 25
Views: 368

Re: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts

What qualifies a person to undertake such practices as shakubuku and shoju? Does this vary by sect or person-to-person or context?

I'm sorry if this question has already been covered in this thread. I've had a hard time following some of it. Thanks.
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 am
Forum: Nichiren
Topic: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts
Replies: 25
Views: 368

Re: Shakubuku and shoju a few thoughts

yeah but we are on a total Buddhist site...we are debating with long term buddhists... Nichiren was trained in Tendai debate techniques, perhaps he is making his argument to others similarly qualified. This is an interesting topic. I'd like to know more about it. Was Nichiren addressing the Tendai ...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 102
Views: 1739

Re: Rabbit's Horns

it's incoherent and it doesn't mean a damned thing 2+2=4. There's nothing incoherent about a rabbit having horns. 1. the "it" I was referring to was the totality of incoherent and meaningless experiences we refer to as samsara. 2. if your claim is correct, then you should be able to show me a rabbi...
by DGA
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:25 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 102
Views: 1739

Re: Rabbit's Horns

From the Gelug POV: “The horns of a rabbit do not inherently exist because they do not exist at all. The mere realization of their non-existence reveals that the horns of a rabbit do not inherently exist; therefore, the non-inherent existence of the horns of a rabbit is not an emptiness. An emptine...
by DGA
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights
Replies: 61
Views: 1767

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

CedarTree wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 pm
DGA wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 pm
CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm
I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

...
thankful I didn't make this list
The periods implied you.... Start talking...
But I'm not really a heavyweight, am I? BMI of 27.
by DGA
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights
Replies: 61
Views: 1767

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

CedarTree wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm
I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

...
thankful I didn't make this list
by DGA
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 am
Forum: Academic Discussion
Topic: how much does chicago style change?
Replies: 4
Views: 140

Re: how much does chicago style change?

chicago style is more or less inedible

more like a casserole than a pizza, really

Da Bearsssss
by DGA
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Rabbit's Horns
Replies: 102
Views: 1739

Re: Rabbit's Horns

From the Gelug POV: “The horns of a rabbit do not inherently exist because they do not exist at all. The mere realization of their non-existence reveals that the horns of a rabbit do not inherently exist; therefore, the non-inherent existence of the horns of a rabbit is not an emptiness. An emptine...
by DGA
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Winter festivities
Replies: 35
Views: 497

Re: Winter festivities

I'm a year-round drinker but no one asked about spring, summer, or fall winter is time for bourbon and rye. Or well-aged, fruity reds. I like the booze that gives teenagers the worst hangovers I'm partial to the ryes - year round. These days my go to is Michters. I don't even need to go out of my w...