Search found 1427 matches

by boda
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: The World’s First Poor Rich Country
Replies: 44
Views: 585

Re: The World’s First Poor Rich Country

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Back to my initial conclusion... its really about values.
Sure, but how do you think they would need to change exactly?
by boda
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: The World’s First Poor Rich Country
Replies: 44
Views: 585

Re: The World’s First Poor Rich Country

Conservatives, on the other hand, believe that public ownership is inefficient because it lacks profit motive, and is prone to corruption. Private ownership obviously doesn’t always serve the public good, however. CEO’s are like warlords who take care of themselves first, shareholders second, and h...
by boda
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: The World’s First Poor Rich Country
Replies: 44
Views: 585

Re: The World’s First Poor Rich Country

Do you see how different these two notions of ownership are? One is the capitalist one: I’m a private owner, which is to say a selfish, profit-maximizing, soulless human calculator. The other is a social democratic one: I’m a public owner, we own these good together, we share them collectively, we ...
by boda
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 am
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

Well clearly a quick google search isn't enough in this case, because you're clearly missing some context, and that wiki page clearly hasn't been updated in a while and is inaccurate. The Kanzeon Zen Center sangha folded nearly a decade ago. From the Wikipedia page: He continues to serve as preside...
by boda
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:55 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

Well clearly a quick google search isn't enough in this case, because you're clearly missing some context, and that wiki page clearly hasn't been updated in a while and is inaccurate. The Kanzeon Zen Center sangha folded nearly a decade ago. From the Wikipedia page: He continues to serve as preside...
by boda
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:40 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

seeker242 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 pm
what are, in your opinion, the major reasons for such?
He was an alcoholic.
That can’t begin to explain it when other highly respected figures in the Buddhist tradition were celebrated for their “crazy wisdom.”
by boda
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

The problem for me with Watts' alcoholism is that it undercut the root meaning of the principles he wrote about. I recall a line from the Monica Furlong bio, towards the end, when he was asked why he was drinking vodka every day, and he replied something like 'so that I don't feel so terribly alone...
by boda
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 am
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

The problem for me with Watts' alcoholism is that it undercut the root meaning of the principles he wrote about. I recall a line from the Monica Furlong bio, towards the end, when he was asked why he was drinking vodka every day, and he replied something like 'so that I don't feel so terribly alone...
by boda
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:51 pm
Forum: Rinzai
Topic: Rinzai Zen Instructional/Dharma Talk Videos
Replies: 3
Views: 228

Re: Rinzai Zen Instructional/Dharma Talk Videos

The first few are open to viewing by all, and the one with a picture of you giving some poor guy a karate chop. I hope you're not that hard on all of your students. :lol:
by boda
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: No boredom for those who practice
Replies: 6
Views: 277

Re: No boredom for those who practice

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 pm
Do Buddhists have an advantage here?
If this translates to anything like 'don't suffer as much' I should hope so, otherwise, what's the point?
by boda
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm
Forum: Media
Topic: Hidden Zen
Replies: 3
Views: 234

Re: Hidden Zen

Pre-ordered. Pre-thank you for the work. :smile:
by boda
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: What are you doing about the coronavirus?
Replies: 688
Views: 27935

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 pm
As long as the gvts. respond with the proper Keynsian spending, we will all be fine financially.
The two trillion dollar stimulus package doesn’t sound particularly Keynesian from what little I know of it, a lot of it going to corporate bailouts.
by boda
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

He was probably enchanted by his abilities and the reactions they produced and at the same time revolted by what lay beneath the spark, which drove him to drink. And deep down probably afraid to get buckle down to it and immerse himself. Whether due to a lack of self-belief or some other factor.. I...
by boda
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

Meido wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Shambhala says mid-October. We can pick apart the preface to that work then LOL
Thanks, looking forward to it. :P
by boda
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 am
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

Personally, I don't see how anyone couldn't love the guy. I can see how those invested in a particular tradition would want to put distance between their tradition and such an untraditional man. I'm sure he had lovable qualities. As I said, i don't know much about him. The only thing I'm really int...
by boda
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: The beauty of covid-19
Replies: 8
Views: 322

Re: The beauty of covid-19

Admittedly, I'm grateful it will keep my mother-in-law out of town for months longer than planned. :emb:

Less selfishly, I glad she has a safe place to stay until this blows over.
by boda
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:26 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

With all due respect, Meido, you say that you’re not very familiar with the man yet claim to know what practices he had done. Can you clarify? I have no idea what practices, if any, Watts did do, and have not claimed so. But certainly, any of us can say what he didn't do. This is because Watts says...
by boda
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
Forum: Zen
Topic: Alan Watts
Replies: 65
Views: 1340

Re: Alan Watts

Where do you think he missed? I've mention some, one is obviously trying to understanding zen with words, the other that he didn't though meditation was necessary, quoting him: a cat sits and gets up when he fells like to. I am not terribly familiar with Watts. But I recently took a look again at T...
by boda
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Forum: Ethical Conduct
Topic: The Great Abortion Debate
Replies: 202
Views: 2784

Re: The Great Abortion Debate

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:23 pm
You cannot murder a collection of cells.
In truth, there are many many ways. Many many people don't value the truth, I realize.
by boda
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:17 am
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: A Personal Resolve.
Replies: 3
Views: 1424

Re: A Personal Resolve.

Having brought it to our attention, you might have mentioned the point. There’s no apparently reason for this resolve. The public declaration is essentially a means to help you keep this resolve but it will be meaningless without knowing the reason for it.

Go to advanced search