Search found 20687 matches

by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 pm
Forum: Nyingma
Topic: The Aro Authenticity Debate.
Replies: 3
Views: 39

Re: What it means to be a ngakpa

He's been performing as Doc Togden for years now. I recall a facebook fan page for him maybe seven or eight years ago. What's the harm? He looks healthy and happy. There is no harm in playing music, the harm is that he is teaching a fake terma. Anyway, enough about this. Let's go :focus: How do you...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: New Rigpa letter
Replies: 58
Views: 1935

Re: New Rigpa letter

Of course you don't agree Greg. You never do, about anything. Instead of engaging in ad hom logic fallacies, something which you are doing with increasing frequency nowadays, why don't you just come up with a counter to my interpretation? Why don't you try proving my interpretation wrong? [media]ht...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: New Rigpa letter
Replies: 58
Views: 1935

Re: New Rigpa letter

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm
This is a blanket statement that only people with clairvoyance have the right to exercise judgement about teachers not their own. I think this is one major point people find unconvincing.
I disagree
Of course you don't agree Greg. You never do, about anything.
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: New Rigpa letter
Replies: 58
Views: 1935

Re: New Rigpa letter

However, this is a missive directed to his own students, given the personal nature of the communication: This guidance comes from me now not as a reprimand, but as a result of the fact that I love you all and I am concerned. It comes because I don’t want you to cultivate more negativity which would...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Forum: Nyingma
Topic: What it means to be a ngakpa
Replies: 154
Views: 2702

Re: What it means to be a ngakpa

This is what I love about E-Sangha/DW/Vajracakra, etc. We can have basically civilized conversations about Buddhist hanging judges, that are occasionally soft on rapists, and who condemned Nazis to hang while practicing mindfulness of breathing with their spare time, etc., etc., in the middle of a c...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
Replies: 4964
Views: 422653

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

TaTa wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm
When Chnn says that mantra should be recited underbreath and without interrupting it means that one should also recite during in breath?
Yes.
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: New Rigpa letter
Replies: 58
Views: 1935

Re: New Rigpa letter

I don't think that particular point is what people find unconvincing. That is what I felt as being the main thrust of the letter. Is there something I missed? I think the point some people find unconvincing is the idea that we should refuse to judge lamas on the basis of their observable behavior. ...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: New Rigpa letter
Replies: 58
Views: 1935

Re: New Rigpa letter

A message from Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche that seems to be referring to the current kerfuffle: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dudjomrimpoche/permalink/954458854709277/ Do any DW-ers find this convincing? I do not. Please help me understand how this is convincing. related discussion: https://dharmawhee...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:13 pm
Forum: Kagyu
Topic: Another Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche
Replies: 4
Views: 72

Re: Another Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche

Sonam Wangchug wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm
Crestone colorado.

A local told me that he is stays in a trailer, that he is now a shaivite and smokes from a Chillum.
The wisdom display of awakened beings is amazing! :roll:
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Forum: Nyingma
Topic: What it means to be a ngakpa
Replies: 154
Views: 2702

Re: What it means to be a ngakpa

and wasn't it Kirkpatrick who was into the nudity thing, with Chogyam playing along for a while? It's possible. I was told this by someone who said they liked the Aro trip, but after a while they found the nudity thing too much. My info is old, so perhaps they do things differently. Never hung out ...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:50 pm
Forum: Nyingma
Topic: What it means to be a ngakpa
Replies: 154
Views: 2702

Re: What it means to be a ngakpa

* In contrast to those western Theravada lay people that attend teachings dressed all in white including white gym shoes...common in UK Theravadin circles.. :smile: The origin of the Ngakpa robes, sans red stripes on the upper robe which is a Tibetan innovation, is actually the white robes of the s...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: -ise vs -ize
Replies: 24
Views: 251

Re: -ise vs -ize

The use of -ize in British English is referred to as “Oxford Spelling” and claims to be more etymologically correct. It is regarded as an affectation that is used by the “properly educated” by many people (whereas the American tendency to add -ize etc. to everything is seen as just wrong e.g. burgl...
by Malcolm
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 am
Forum: Nyingma
Topic: What it means to be a ngakpa
Replies: 154
Views: 2702

Re: What it means to be a ngakpa

It would be worthwhile for someone to do an objective study (ethnography or at least participant observation) of what contemporary ngapkas outside of the Tibetan cultural sphere actually do with their time and their practice. I have been led to understand from an insider that they do their ganapuja...
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 pm
Forum: Media
Topic: Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character
Replies: 8
Views: 177

Re: Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character

Daniel Dae Kim to play a former monk turned LA police detective. https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/upcoming-tv-show-about-a-buddhist-detective-aims-to-bring-the-dharma-to-prime-time :coffee: All I can say is that they better get the damn robes right. Has that been an issue in shows/movies? Oh, for ...
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Where are 1% of Americans?
Replies: 38
Views: 732

Re: Where are 1% of Americans?

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm


As with the US, we really need a change of regime. Sadly, politics has become polarised and the left is now virtually communist and sees Venezuela as a role model, so we are between a rock and a hard place.
Hopefully, November will usher this in.
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Where are 1% of Americans?
Replies: 38
Views: 732

Re: Where are 1% of Americans?

My experience in the UK is that facts really don't matter; so I'll just say what I am detecting: Poor whites and poor blacks and poor asians all feel they are treated worst of all, have the least privileges, suffer the most discrimination etc. These things ebb and flow, but after terrorist attacks ...
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm
Forum: Media
Topic: Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character
Replies: 8
Views: 177

Re: Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm
Daniel Dae Kim to play a former monk turned LA police detective.
https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/upcom ... prime-time

:coffee:
All I can say is that they better get the damn robes right.
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm
Forum: Nyingma
Topic: What it means to be a ngakpa
Replies: 154
Views: 2702

Re: What it means to be a ngakpa

And it is also one reason why I generally discourage people from "becoming ngakpas." And I think that this is the tragic mistake you are making: You are confounding the external appearances, with the Ngakpa practices per se. Of course they are related, but... Instead of warning people about getting...
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Where are 1% of Americans?
Replies: 38
Views: 732

Re: Where are 1% of Americans?

It seems like you missed the main point of my post, but i'll bite I guess. There are plenty of white people (both urban and rural) low down enough of the socioeconomic ladder, with no prospects for education, work or betterment, whose communities are often dogged by the exact same plagues as minori...
by Malcolm
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Parinirvana without remainder
Replies: 14
Views: 502

Re: Parinirvana without remainder

Basically, the rainbow body is received after death of the physical body, because the function of mind/jnana is not absorb into the absolute nature (nirvana), thus it has to continue to function, and the rainbow body is manifestation aspect of this mind/jnana. This is completely wrong. Why is it wr...