Search found 79 matches

by SpinyNorman
Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

Malcolm wrote:And as far as [DELETED TO KEEP THINGS CONSISTENT] goes, well:
As my old headmaster used to say: " If the cap fits, wear it".

[INFLAMMATORY INSTIGATION DELETED].
by SpinyNorman
Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:22 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

Opinions, umm, yes, conscious experience appears to contain all I've ever encountered. Don't worry, us Brits are not the least bit interested in the [INFLAMMATORY AND REDUNDANT ADJECTIVE DELETED] ramblings of some [NOT VERY NICE NAME-CALLING DELETED] . Mod Note: How old are we? Let's play nice. QQ
by SpinyNorman
Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:43 am
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

dzoki wrote:Oh no, British have been more part of Europe, than they want to admit.

Definitely. It's also worth remembering that Britain is made up of four nations, each with their own identity and connections to Europe.
by SpinyNorman
Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:18 am
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

Kaccāni wrote:Trump will fix it, then :)
And here is the nightmare we wish to avoid:

Image
by SpinyNorman
Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:39 am
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

Qing Tian wrote:British culture has always been seen as distinctly different from continental European culture.
No, we've always had influxes of EU migrants, like the Danes from the year 793, then the French in 1066. :tongue:
by SpinyNorman
Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:29 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

Bristollad wrote:Anyway, we've our own set of fools we could muster to do the job - Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson spring to mind.
Boris Johnson reminds me a little of Donald Trump for some reason. ;)

Image
by SpinyNorman
Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:10 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

The Scottish nationalists are talking about trying to remain in the EU if Britain votes to leave as a whole. Perhaps in that scenario the English would get Donald Trump to rebuild Hadrian's Wall. :tongue:
by SpinyNorman
Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:56 am
Forum: Mahamudra
Topic: Mahamudra meditation problem: locating the mind
Replies: 476
Views: 32201

Re: Mahamudra meditation problem: locating the mind

The mind is without location. However, it is quite normal to feel that you are looking out from behind your eyes. We, after, all, reside in a body, so to speak. I have had experiences when my mind was somewhere outside of my body. But you cannot function very well in the world that way--i.e. intera...
by SpinyNorman
Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:52 am
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

England should leave. They will be better off for it, no matter what the neoliberal economists claim. The problem is that Britain leaving the EU would be a leap into the unknown at many levels, something the Remain camp have capitalised on. I am expecting a Remain majority somewhere between 55 and ...
by SpinyNorman
Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:52 am
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

Really sad what happened to those 50 humans.It was collective karma. Eh? Whose collective karma? He means the karma-vipaka of all the people who were injured and slain. Of course, the shooter created his own karma. Oh. I was querying the notion of "collective" karma here, which could lead to blamin...
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:17 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

And people in the service only rarely use the full auto setting, and the civilian model only as one setting, semi-auto. Most weapons on full auto are difficult to control and therefore very innaccurate. Yes. As someone pointed out above, it is primarily used for suppressive fire. Yes, it's about vo...
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

And if you want the AR-15 to be fully automatic, you can install a small piece of hardware that makes it an equal to the M-16, except costing the fraction of what an M-16 costs... And people in the service only rarely use the full auto setting, and the civilian model only as one setting, semi-auto....
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:35 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

amanitamusc wrote:Really sad what happened to those 50 humans.It was collective karma.
Eh? Whose collective karma?
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:45 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

Losal Samten wrote:I think the politicisation of mentally ill people's harmful actions is f*cking disgusting, no matter where it comes from.
Indeed. Parliament has been recalled on Monday to pay tribute to Jo Cox, it looks like the EU debate has been shelved until after that.
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:09 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

The other day on FB, I saw a guy making an argument that because the US is the land of the free, the other countries like the European nanny-states, etc, don't understand. I'm glad I don't live in the US, all those guns would scare me. They usually are not visible. A while back I was at work with a...
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:56 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

Dan74 wrote:The other day on FB, I saw a guy making an argument that because the US is the land of the free, the other countries like the European nanny-states, etc, don't understand.
I'm glad I don't live in the US, all those guns would scare me.
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:24 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Update on Orlando Shooting
Replies: 264
Views: 14141

Re: Update on Orlando Shooting

Bottom line is that closing the barn doors after the horses have escaped does no good. Those weapons are all over the place, and people will not give them up--period. So we will continue as we have. Even a Constitutional Ammendment wouldn't remove them from society. The London 7/7 bombers didn't ha...
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:22 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

treehuggingoctopus wrote:Look: They tell us our tomatoes are... fruit.
The horror, the horror!
:applause:
by SpinyNorman
Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:21 pm
Forum: News & Current Events
Topic: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum
Replies: 276
Views: 17158

Re: Britian's upcoming E.U referendum

So what do you say and why? I have decided to vote remain, but I am not entirely sure about this decision. Partly because I think the UK is better off culturally remaining as part of Europe. The political campaign has been pretty shoddy IMO, too many scare tactics from the remain camp, not enough c...
by SpinyNorman
Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: Emptiness
Replies: 312
Views: 21369

Re: Emptiness

rachmiel wrote:Chances are you'll find that you believe the flower actually exists. ...Is it a real entity? Or is it an owner/self we posit to a set of interdependent phenomena?
Though if you drop a "brick" on your "foot" the "pain" feels real enough. ;)