Search found 186 matches

by Acchantika
Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Karma and the Ten Powers
Replies: 34
Views: 5184

Re: Karma and the Ten Powers

Also, on this level you either believe it or not all these things. Exactly; and on this level one is a sentient being. Therefore, any action perpetuates karma, including striving for liberation. Because liberation only applies to a sentient being, this is a genuine problem irrespective of level of ...
by Acchantika
Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:18 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Karma and the Ten Powers
Replies: 34
Views: 5184

Re: Karma and the Ten Powers

Emptiness is not an unconditioned reality opposite to conditioned reality. It is because all is conditioned that it's empty, it's actually the same thing. I was referring to karma, not dependent origination. Karma is the result of ignorance and is conditioned. The realisation of emptiness is non-ig...
by Acchantika
Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:05 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Karma and the Ten Powers
Replies: 34
Views: 5184

Re: Karma and the Ten Powers

Therefore, a Buddha's actions are not deterministic nor are they random, nor is the process of liberation deterministic, nor is it random. Or so I understand it. This is more or less my understanding as well, but if I could ask you to clarify one point for me. When you say that a Buddha's actions a...
by Acchantika
Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Karma and the Ten Powers
Replies: 34
Views: 5184

Re: Karma and the Ten Powers

Buddhism is not deterministic, karma is deterministic. In Mahayana, everything practioners "do" or "cultivate" is due to Bodhichitta and no other reason. True Bodhichitta is not the result of attachment to self-interest, but compassion, specifically the absence of attachment to self-interest. Since...
by Acchantika
Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 pm
Forum: Sūtra Studies
Topic: Karma and the Ten Powers
Replies: 34
Views: 5184

Re: Karma and the Ten Powers

The notion of a doer/actor who is responsible for karma is an illusion, and we are essentially marionette puppets on strings controlled by mysterious eternal forces of conditioning until for some inexplicable reason fate decides to cut our strings and we become Buddhas outside of conditioned existe...
by Acchantika
Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:22 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

If God doesn't exist, then there is no reality of God for a theist beyond their concept of God. They cannot be experiencing what doesn't exist. So it would be true that "the reality of God to a theist is precisely the same as what they express about that reality". No, I don't think that is the case...
by Acchantika
Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:45 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

Now you're trying to say that the reality of God to a theist is precisely the same as what they express about that reality. My point is that we don't actually have access to that reality (or non reality, if we take it to be illusory) - maybe you're more clairvoyant than I, but I personally would ne...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:33 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

BradleyWiggens wrote: you take it on faith.
After carefully reviewing your argument, I am confident the following video can answer any questions you may have.

phpBB [video]
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:06 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

BradleyWiggens wrote: I'd like to see the evidence.
Image
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:43 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

BradleyWiggens wrote:
Acchantika wrote:when condensing the root of all of them, there are two: proponents of eternalism and proponents of nihilism.
So he's studied ALL of the different concepts of God, fully understood all of them, and decided that they are all rubbish?
Yes.
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:37 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

Different people mean different things by the word "God". It doesn't matter. Mipham Rinpoche states in the Khenjuk: "Although [non-Buddhists*] have many different beliefs, when condensing the root of all of them, there are two: proponents of eternalism and proponents of nihilism. The proponents of ...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:00 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

In regards to how God ought to be defined: I think this has clearly been incredibly contested over an incredibly long period of time. [...] So, I think that a thread which asks "what is Buddhisms take on God" has to - HAS TO - take into account that multiplicity. Is that a ridiculous task? Indeed. ...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

But it's interesting, isn't it, that we're happy to get our conceptions of theism from "ordinary definitions/common folk" but not our conceptions of Buddhism. In reality, there are only so many definitions of god that one arrive at i.e. creator, etc. In just this thread, God has been defined as a c...
by Acchantika
Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:25 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

Katy wrote:
Acchantika wrote:We have just replaced a word with another word.
Just quickly, the Christian tradition does contain many teachings about cause and effect.
That may be so. It is still the case that changing the word "reality" to the word "God" tells us nothing about either.
by Acchantika
Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:49 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Interfaith Dialogue
Replies: 2049
Views: 179266

Re: Buddhism on God

If "God" is in fact a name for "Reality" then it might give Buddhists a bit more insight into where people of other traditions are coming from. Whether Buddhists care at all about understanding people of other traditions is entirely up to them. I'd like to think that Buddhists would make an effort ...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Why is Vajrayana Better?
Replies: 55
Views: 7384

Re: Why is Vajrayana Better?

  • "Cease all activity that separates."

    ~ Tilopa, Vajrayana practitioner
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Why is Vajrayana Better?
Replies: 55
Views: 7384

Re: Why is Vajrayana Better?

My statements are in the general context of paths. Individual circumstances do of course vary, and this is exactly why Vajrayana isnt for everyone. But, based upon the theory, methods, and diversity of Vajrayana it is (in my opinion) clearly superior as a path in general. As are mine, or else we wo...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Reasons for Conventional Reality
Replies: 172
Views: 23805

Re: Reasons for Conventional Reality

Perhaps we need to define what a "view" is. View or position (Pali diṭṭhi, Sanskrit dṛṣṭi) is a central idea in Buddhism. In Buddhist thought, in contrast with the commonsense understanding, a view is not a simple, abstract collection of propositions, but a charged interpretation of experience whic...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Why is Vajrayana Better?
Replies: 55
Views: 7384

Re: Why is Vajrayana Better?

My statements are in the general context of paths. Individual circumstances do of course vary, and this is exactly why Vajrayana isnt for everyone. But, based upon the theory, methods, and diversity of Vajrayana it is (in my opinion) clearly superior as a path in general. As are mine, or else we wo...
by Acchantika
Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Why is Vajrayana Better?
Replies: 55
Views: 7384

Re: Why is Vajrayana Better?

It just sounds arrogant to assert that one path is "better" or "faster" than another. Agreed. It is not faster in all cases. Therefore, it is not better in all cases, even if we allow the superficial conclusion that faster equals better. Speed to Buddhahood is not the only reason it is superior. Al...

Go to advanced search