Search found 1663 matches

by Sönam
Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:10 pm
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: Rainbow body question
Replies: 8
Views: 891

Re: Rainbow body question

... (4) When one ever moves from that state, One becomes free from the conceptualizations of apprehending characteristics, and transcends the objects of attachment, the objects of abandonment and their antidotes, and everything is simultanously perfected and free from deliberate apprehensions, the ...
by Sönam
Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Quotes Thread
Replies: 148
Views: 9006

Re: Dharma Quotes Thread

The unexcelled Buddhahood is impossible to attain until one completes the paths and stages. ... Wether Buddhahood is attained in sixteen lives, etc., or very fast as in one life time, one has to proceed through the levels of the paths and stages as they are, because it is necessary that the defileme...
by Sönam
Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:06 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Quotes Thread
Replies: 148
Views: 9006

Re: Dharma Quotes Thread

Having thus praised the Blessed One from the point of view of qualities useful to himself, the author praises him from the point of view of qualities useful to others: "He has drawn out the world from the mire of transmigration." Transmigration is a mire, because the world is bound up in it, and bec...
by Sönam
Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:00 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Quotes Thread
Replies: 148
Views: 9006

Re: Dharma Quotes Thread

Om Homage to the Buddha. 1. He has, in an absolute manner, destroyed all blindness; He has drawn out the world from the mire of transmigration: I render homage to Him, to this teacher of truth, before composing the treatise called the Abhidharmakosa. Desiring to compose a treatise, with the intentio...
by Sönam
Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:01 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: Dharma Quotes Thread
Replies: 148
Views: 9006

Re: Dharma Quotes Thread

Respectfully, this thread should be renamed "Dhamma Quotes Thread" ... this is not anodyne, being in "A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism", and refering to the discussion in the Batchelor's thread.

Sönam
by Sönam
Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:15 pm
Forum: Lounge
Topic: A Physicalist Theory of Mind
Replies: 250
Views: 13244

Re: A Physicalist Theory of Mind

dzogchungpa wrote:I don't think I'm particularly invested in scientific materialism, but I have never really understood the five elements thing.
honestly I don't really understand that one cannot understand (see) the five elements (in everything)? :shrug:

Sönam
by Sönam
Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:21 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Unreality of Thoughts
Replies: 167
Views: 7579

Re: Unreality of Thoughts

No Word will never get you closer to the meaning ... they are all intellectual artifacts. Guide-post are bringing you to the palace ... however, no matter how near you will be, if you can't get in you will never experiment the deliciousness of his garden. To what extent, in discussions like this, a...
by Sönam
Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:47 pm
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Unreality of Thoughts
Replies: 167
Views: 7579

Re: Unreality of Thoughts

emptiness ? ... simply what allows beings and phenomena to appear. Without, nothing can exist, everything would be as hard as the rock with no gap, it is the base of every things and phenomena. Resting in emptiness without discursivity is the supreme source.

Sönam
by Sönam
Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:55 am
Forum: Mahāyāna Buddhism
Topic: Unreality of Thoughts
Replies: 167
Views: 7579

Re: Unreality of Thoughts

No Word will never get you closer to the meaning ... they are all intellectual artifacts.

Guide-post are bringing you to the palace ... however, no matter how near you will be, if you can't get in you will never experiment the deliciousness of his garden.

Sönam
by Sönam
Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Samaya--Comments by Thrangu Rinpoche
Replies: 4
Views: 803

Re: Samaya--Comments by Thrangu Rinpoche

conebeckham wrote: ...
From Shenphen Osel, Vol 5, No. I, and I believe this was later published as a book on Kongtrul's Creation and Completion text.
Yes, page 92, in "Commentary by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche" - Devotion and Pure Vision

Sönam
by Sönam
Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:31 pm
Forum: Tibetan Buddhism
Topic: Female Dzogchen or Mahamudra Teachers
Replies: 14
Views: 1490

Re: Female Dzogchen or Mahamudra Teachers

heart wrote:
Stewart wrote:Khandro Rinpoche: http://www.khandrorinpoche.org/
I second that.

/magnus
I third that.

Sönam
by Sönam
Fri May 23, 2014 6:42 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

santa100 wrote:That's what I expected you'd say.
Honestly this ego journeying is ... childish and boring. I'm surprized you still argue in this place.

Sönam
by Sönam
Fri May 23, 2014 6:25 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

And FYI there is not such thing as "Buddha's own words" ... If you don't even have a provional assumption that the Sutta Pitaka is the Buddha's own words then you shouldn't be here nor on any Buddhist Forum whether it's Mahayana, Theravda, or Vajrayana because all schools believe in the authority o...
by Sönam
Fri May 23, 2014 3:57 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

TRC, I'm not surprize of your approach and the necessity you have to refere to Buddha Shakyamuni. It just proves you have no idea what buddha is ... from Mahayana/Vajrayana perspective. You stick too much to a particular Nirmanakaya ... you should read Uttaratantra and others before starting to argu...
by Sönam
Fri May 23, 2014 1:43 pm
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

... Malcolm, in the light of what we know today about the development of Buddhism, a literal belief in all of the above is somewhat naive, don't you think? I ask myself how this discussion is relevant to my practice and I come up empty-handed. There is much that you say that is actually very useful...
by Sönam
Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

This is the attainment of an Arhat, not even that of a first stage bodhisattva. It is completely different. And no, King Indrabhuti and many other siddhas attained buddhahood merely through receiving empowerments. Then prove it by providing the Buddha's own words, not your interpretation nor some c...
by Sönam
Thu May 22, 2014 11:36 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

These are just more claims. Claims without being backed-up with evidence are baseless. Just because it is said, doesn’t mean it is so. I didn’t think I would need to be saying this on a Buddhist forum, but there you go. So let’s look at what we have here: We have one Buddhist tradition among many c...
by Sönam
Thu May 22, 2014 4:01 am
Forum: Dharma in Everyday Life
Topic: why is Vajrayana considered the fastest way to buddhahood?
Replies: 258
Views: 13800

Re: why is Vajrayana considered the fasted way to buddhahood

TRC wrote:
Looks like we will just have to leave the "quickest path" rhetoric in that very category - rhetoric, without actual evidence.
I can like that ... when one start to speak about actual and evidence. This is about cessation of suffering ... to be experimented if requested.

Sönam
by Sönam
Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 am
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: when to start studying and practicing Dzogchen
Replies: 45
Views: 5429

Re: when to start studying and practicing Dzogchen

Motova wrote:
That sounds to good to be true. :rolling:
Doubt is a main obstacle ...

Sönam
by Sönam
Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am
Forum: Dzogchen
Topic: when to start studying and practicing Dzogchen
Replies: 45
Views: 5429

Re: when to start studying and practicing Dzogchen

Motova wrote:Questions about starting:

What level of meditation stability should one have?
none
What sort of qualities should one have?
none
How does one go about asking for a direct introduction from a lama?
One goes to a (true) Dzogchen master and asks for direct introduction

Sönam