Brief members bios - please contribute!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Jeff H

Re: Brief members bios - please contribute!

Postby Jeff H » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks for posting, Coëmgenu. I always find it interesting to read others' stories. Do you mind if I ask how you pronounce your names?

BTW, I have no musical sophistication, but I very much enjoyed listening to your Heart Sutra song.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Coëmgenu

Postby Coëmgenu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Jeff H wrote:Thanks for posting, Coëmgenu. I always find it interesting to read others' stories. Do you mind if I ask how you pronounce your names?

BTW, I have no musical sophistication, but I very much enjoyed listening to your Heart Sutra song.
Kəiṽʲʝiːnʲ, but that is an archaic pronunciation, since that spelling, Caoimhghin, is itself an archaic spelling.

"Kee-veen" with the stress on the last syllable is a suitable modern pronunciation that most Irish people will be familiar with. Honestly most people call me Kevin. Coemgenus is the Latin form of Kevin.
"My pure land is not destroyed,
yet the multitude sees it as consumed in fire,
with anxiety, fear, and other sufferings
filling it everywhere."
(Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra XVI)

All these dharmāḥ are the status of dharma, the standing of dharma, the suchness of dharma; the dharma neither departs from things-as-they-are, nor differs from things-as-they-are; it is the truth, reality, without distortion.(SA 296, 因緣法)
揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提薩婆訶(Prajñāpāramitāhṛdayasya Mantra)

Jeff H

Postby Jeff H » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Jeff H wrote:Thanks for posting, Coëmgenu. I always find it interesting to read others' stories. Do you mind if I ask how you pronounce your names?

Kəiṽʲʝiːnʲ, but that is an archaic pronunciation, since that spelling, Caoimhghin, is itself an archaic spelling.

"Kee-veen" with the stress on the last syllable is a suitable modern pronunciation that most Irish people will be familiar with. Honestly most people call me Kevin. Coemgenus is the Latin form of Kevin.

Thanks. I certainly could never have worked it out myself!
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

javier.espinoza.t

Postby javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 am

Hello all, im javier

about 16 my mother showed me a book of Osho, and i learned a lot about universal love and understood a bit my sufferings at that time; i was very rebell before that, very against authority, i was disrespectfull, etc.. so this teachings helped me a lot.

that year -2002 i believe- i attended a hata yoga course, there started to communicate whit the instructor -who was a dzogchen practitioner- and introduced me slowly slowly to dzogchen community. so i receibed direct introduction and started to practice atiyoga at 16 -today i'm near 30 years old- and met ChNN at 17 during a public speach and a retreat here in Chile -south america-. Later -after finish school- i traveled to tashigar-south and attended a retreat from christmass to new year. since then i pracice dzogchen.

around 2008 i became a serious boddhiccitta practitioner. sometimes when i feel it's time i read sutras on this matter, it' is very deligthful.

in 2016 i attended for one day at a retreat on shitro with Younge Kachab Rimpoche -a rimé lama-, for some reason no shitro teaching was given but many explanations on the different paths, then innitiations to buddhism religion was given and in a unexpected manner i decided to take refuge in the three jewells and became buddhist with the name Ogyen Trinley -it's a funny story to me-.

currently i'm finishing studies of industrial engineering -at the thesis stage- and practicing guruyoga as usual, and shitrot a lot, and yantra yoga also.

thankfully my life is very bussy between atiyoga and boddhiccitta practice and research. this year -2017- i found DW. i'm not very schoolar-approach-like to the teachings, i prefer to experiment and do investigation -not citation- so maybe is annoying to read my posts -which almost all came from this-.

tashi deleks

Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:11 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:Hello all, im javier

about 16 my mother showed me a book of Osho, and i learned a lot about universal love and understood a bit my sufferings at that time; i was very rebell before that, very against authority, i was disrespectfull, etc.. so this teachings helped me a lot.

that year -2002 i believe- i attended a hata yoga course, there started to communicate whit the instructor -who was a dzogchen practitioner- and introduced me slowly slowly to dzogchen community. so i receibed direct introduction and started to practice atiyoga at 16 -today i'm near 30 years old- and met ChNN at 17 during a public speach and a retreat here in Chile -south america-. Later -after finish school- i traveled to tashigar-south and attended a retreat from christmass to new year. since then i pracice dzogchen.

around 2008 i became a serious boddhiccitta practitioner. sometimes when i feel it's time i read sutras on this matter, it' is very deligthful.

in 2016 i attended for one day at a retreat on shitro with Younge Kachab Rimpoche -a rimé lama-, for some reason no shitro teaching was given but many explanations on the different paths, then innitiations to buddhism religion was given and in a unexpected manner i decided to take refuge in the three jewells and became buddhist with the name Ogyen Trinley -it's a funny story to me-.

currently i'm finishing studies of industrial engineering -at the thesis stage- and practicing guruyoga as usual, and shitrot a lot, and yantra yoga also.

thankfully my life is very bussy between atiyoga and boddhiccitta practice and research. this year -2017- i found DW. i'm not very schoolar-approach-like to the teachings, i prefer to experiment and do investigation -not citation- so maybe is annoying to read my posts -which almost all came from this-.

tashi deleks

Thanks for this nice introduction. I never read anything from you that annoyed me. :smile:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

javier.espinoza.t

Postby javier.espinoza.t » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:51 am

Ayu wrote:
javier.espinoza.t wrote:Hello all, im javier

tashi deleks

Thanks for this nice introduction. I never read anything from you that annoyed me. :smile:

thank you :smile: . by the way, i'm very happy that i have found this site, it helps a lot on developing diligence and brings a sense of community, even with the argues haha

Penor

Postby Penor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:11 am

My name is Penor, I am a student of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and Ngakpa Karma Lhundup. I studied sutra at Chenrezig Institute and briefly took rabjung vows there.

I met Chogyal Namkhai Norbu around 2002 and Ngakpa Karma Lhundup shortly after. Since that time until the present I continue to receive teachings from both masters.

I have completed the Dudjom tersa ngondro and have been authorised to teach dzogchen by Ngakpa Karma Lhundup.

Thanks

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:06 am

Welcome Penor, very glad to see you have joined here, looking forward to your contributions.

:namaste:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few ~ Suzuki-roshi

Invokingvajras

Postby Invokingvajras » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 am

Hello! I'm 27, recently moved to Portland, OR from Pennsylvania, where I attended school at Penn State and graduated in 2013 with a dual B.A. in Religious Studies and Japanese. I currently consider myself an eclectic Pagan-Buddhist.

My studies started around 2004, when my Japanese teacher introduced me to Pure Land and Zen Buddhist traditions. I have been an artist as far back as I can remember, and as a child was inspired by popular media such as music, animation and video games. After formally studying the culture, I came to notice how much Japanese culture was lost among American audiences, especially regarding religion. In 2007, I had a dream about Amitabha shortly after attending a Jōdo Shinshū temple and picking up taiko drumming, which inspired me to take up a more serious and eclectic study of Buddhism.

My interests cover various subjects within the overlap of Buddhist and Western pagan/occult traditions, including meditation, cosmology, mythology, and gender. After my latest Upavasatha observance, I have come to identify as non-binary/gender fluid and prefer "they/them" pronouns. I've been studying Japanese language and culture since 2004, which has served as a catalyst for my interest in becoming more involved with the POC community. This in turn has provided me with the opportunity to learn and grow within the tradition. You really begin to notice the tropes in Buddhist literature and how they relate to our own experiences interacting with fellow humans. I studied abroad at Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan in 2010 and Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Monastery in Kaohsiung, Taiwan in the summer of 2015.

I have had a few very intense experiences in my 10 years of practicing meditation, which primarily includes mindfulness of breathing. In 2010, I experienced a vision of Vajrapani, a Buddhist deity who was synthesized with Herakles among the Greeks in the area that is now Pakistan and Afghanistan. I didn't know at the time of the experience, but discovered several depictions of this deity that were eerily reminiscent of what I saw in the vision. This historical period, as well as my involvement with the Pagan community, inspired me in 2012 to adopt Paganism as a valid worldview within my practice. I've recently found inspiration in Alexander Duncan's writings in light of these ideas. It's part of my intuition that the widespread nature of folklore and mythology can play a vital role in aiding communication across cultures and potentially building a more cohesive, "global" community.

That being said, I'm mostly a solitary practitioner as I've had bad experiences with other "sanghas," which have been classist, racist, queerphobic, or some combination of these. And I'm absolutely comfortable wandering alone, "like a rhinoceros," but figured I'd try becoming more involved with the online sangha where my skills may prove useful. It's nice to be acquainted with everyone and I look forward to studying more Dharma with y'all!

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Let me be the first to welcome you to DharmaWheel Invokingvajras.
ようこそ!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm

:namaste:
:heart:
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......

Invokingvajras

Postby Invokingvajras » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!
おおきに!どうぞよろしくお願いします :anjali:

Carlos (Chö Dorje)

Postby Carlos (Chö Dorje) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 am

Hi everybody, nice to join this community.

Well, my name is Carlos, I'm 41 and I was born and raised in a small town down in southern Spain, near Gibraltar, but I moved to the Madrid area in 2006.

I considered myself as a buddhist a couple of years before already. As a matter of fact, it seems a bunch of right karmas happened to ripen right then and there where in mid-2005 I managed to take refuge with Lama Zopa Rinpoche, receive my first empowerment from him, engage in the boddhisatva vows, and receive the blessings of the Buddha's relics at the Maitreya Project tour, all on the same day!

So, Lama Zopa Rinpoche is my root guru. My main teachers are Geshe Tsering Palden along with his nephew Geshe Ngawang Losel (Thubten Dhargye Ling center, Madrid) and Geshe Thubten Chöden (FPMT's Nagarjuna center, Madrid). I've been so fortunate to receive teachings, empowerments and transmissions from people like His Holiness' female oracle Rangjung Neljorma Khandro-la (some lamas believe she's Yeshe Tsogyal, some say Vajrayogini, some say Tara...), Geshe Soepa, Dagri Rinpoche, Robina Courtin, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, His Holiness the Sakya Trizin, several touring lamas especially from Ganden monastery... Several months ago I was honored to serve as a Spanish translator for Geshe Thubten Tsundue and Lama Ahbay Rinpoche, and just last week I spent several days with Geshe Lobsang Dakpa, from Namgyal Monastery in Dharamsala.

Back in 2005 I founded www.sanghavirtual.wordpress.com, one of the most well known Tibetan buddhism websites in Spain. In 2007 I had one of the most incredible experiences in my life, when I spent a whole week in Nalanda Monastery (France).

Since October 2015 I run a couple of monthly three-hour classes on meditation basics and Tibetan buddhism-inspired advice for daily life, and Geshe Dakpa was so excited to know, encouraging me to keep it going. Of course this is incredibly inspiring for me, not only because Geshela is a wonderful lama and one of my tantric gurus: He's one of the main teachers, debate expert and examiner at Namgyal.

In my years as a practicioner I've had two or three periods of seriously considering ordination, but... seems those karmas ain't ready yet for some reason! You know, obstacles happen! Next time maybe!

All the best.

Last edited by Carlos (Chö Dorje) on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 am

Welcome to DharmaWheel Carlos!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri May 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Old Stan

Postby Old Stan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am

Hi, I am a guy from Eastern Europe, I live in Poland now but I had been living for 4 years in Vietnam, a little in Thailand as well. I taught English at local schools and during my free time started to practice yoga and got interested in Buddist perception of the world. I lived with monks on a mountain in Vietnam for 1 month and studied life. I keep teaching English at school in my home country and am still interested in Buddism. Hi ! :smile:

Return to “Introductions”