Hello world

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Cobalt

Hello world

Post by Cobalt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi! I’m Cobalt, I'm 33, and my pronouns are she/her/hers. If you forget and need to default to "they," that's okay too.

I live in the midwestern USA, and while I've been doing some variety of dharma practice for almost ten years now, mostly that has taken the form of building better mental habits and my concentration skills.

I've meditated with Dromtonpa Kadampa and chanted with some local SGI people, but I don't think either of those orgs will be a fit for me. I'm a member of Ar nDraiocht Fein, a druid group that focuses more on common practices than common beliefs and which has proven itself to be a non-creepy and relatively safe segment of my local Pagan community. Next on my list to check out are the local zen center and an LGBTQ-specific meditation night at a local yoga studio.

The Buddhist teachers I've found most useful are Rev. angel Kyodo williams, Thich Nhat Hanh, Stephen Batchelor, and Cheri Huber. Being able to connect my ethics and values and my political engagement is pretty crucial to me, since the alternative feels like... well, not doing that. I'm focused on building skills and habits in this life since I don't have any evidence of another one where I'll be able to get things done for myself and others.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Hello world

Post by Queequeg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:17 am

Welcome to DW!
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:41 am

Welcome to DW!

purple rose
Site Admin

Post by purple rose » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 am

Welcome to Dharma Wheel. :smile:

Cobalt