Hello everybody!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Radman622

Hello everybody!

Post by Radman622 »

Hi, I have recently become interested in Buddhism, and am looking for a community of practitioners in order to learn more about the different perspectives and teachings concerning Buddhism and its teachings. I am not quite sure if I would call myself a Buddhist just yet, but from my readings, so far I agree with all of the ethical and philosophical positions espoused by Buddhism (by my understanding.) I am having a little more trouble with some of the supernatural/cosmological doctrines, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I've registered here and on Dhamma Wheel to gain as wide a selection of possible perspectives as possible. Sharing your insights about Buddhism with me would be of great service, and deeply appreciated, since I am temporarily unable to attend services in my local area and find a teacher.

Thanks, and I look forward to having fellowship with you all. :)

:namaste: -Conrad
lobster

Re: Hello everybody!

Post by lobster »

Hi Conrad, :hi:

Buddhism s quite simple. It has insight into the way things are and how to improve things.
People are at all stages of internal evolution. Some quite bizarre forms of Buddhism exist. For example I like to become 'possessed' by the spiritual form of a sixteen year old, green skinned fantasy (known as Tara).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deity_yoga
Of course that is weird. You know it. I know it.

Study of the more mundane and sensible aspects of dharma is something most people are content with . . . good luck

I tend to always start with wikipedia . . . :meditate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
Radman622

Post by Radman622 »

Thanks, lobster. :) I did start with a lot of reading on Wikipedia and the internet, and am working my way through every book I can find on the subject. There is such a wealth of information that it is hard to take it all in at once, and although much of it confirms things I had already observed about the world and the nature of life, much of it is so patently foreign to a western, Platonic way of thinking that it can seem very exotic.

On that, I would simply remark that if that helps you to experience inner peace, mindfulness, compassion, love, patience, honesty, etc, then more power to you. XD

:namaste: -Conrad
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
:buddha1:

Return to “Introductions”