Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Wu Wei

Greetings

Post by Wu Wei »

Hello, there are those that call me Tim

I'm more of a seeker here, I have been looking at Buddhism for a long time, mostly Chan/Zen and I have not every been really looked into Tibetan Buddhism.

I have read a few books by the Dalai Lama several years ago and it never really appealed to me and at times I have not agreed at all. However I recently read "Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World" by H.H. Dalai Lama and at every point I started getting that old feeling of not agreeing he went on and explained his position and I found myself agreeing completely in most cases.

It is enough to get me to go back an reread those books and look more at Tibetan Buddhism
- Nothing in this world is difficult, but thinking makes it seem so. Where there is true will, there is always a way. - Wú Chéng'en
- A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Greetings

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome Tim/Wu Wei!

I hope that we will be able to clarify some of the points that may be leading to your misunderstanding.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Welcome, Oh Tim!

:sage:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hi Wu Wei and welcome. :smile: I went through a similar process when I started out too.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
mandala

Post by mandala »

Hi Tim,

Welcome! Re-reading dharma books can be like reading them for the first time - always a new surprise!
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

gregkavarnos wrote:Welcome Tim/Wu Wei!

I hope that we will be able to clarify some of the points that may be leading to your misunderstanding.
Thank you.
When I run into them I am sure I will post them

Nilasarasvati wrote:Welcome, Oh Tim!

:sage:
Thank you
Tim the Enchanter (Sorry, I think I may have watched to much M0nty Python)
Punya wrote:Hi Wu Wei and welcome. :smile: I went through a similar process when I started out too.
Good to hear, at least I know it is not just me :)

Thank you
mandala wrote:Hi Tim,

Welcome! Re-reading dharma books can be like reading them for the first time - always a new surprise!
Thank You

I have run into this with other books and I look forward to running into it again with these. What is amazing me is that when I sat them down I was certain I would never pick them up again because I was very much in disagreement with them. What that disagreement was I can no longer remember but I will be rereading them
- Nothing in this world is difficult, but thinking makes it seem so. Where there is true will, there is always a way. - Wú Chéng'en
- A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

The first time I read Word of My Perfect Teacher I was furious for pages and pages. So offended and put off. :tantrum:

The next time I was rapt and engrossed--this had become so much more complex and interesting. :reading:

The next time I was overwhelmed with feelings of awe and devotion, and how profound it all was. :crying:

My teacher said that first read is actually the most beneficial. All kinds of karma is being purified. You may not believe in all this stuff, but it makes a lot of sense when you experience it :P
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

Nilasarasvati wrote:The first time I read Word of My Perfect Teacher I was furious for pages and pages. So offended and put off. :tantrum:

The next time I was rapt and engrossed--this had become so much more complex and interesting. :reading:

The next time I was overwhelmed with feelings of awe and devotion, and how profound it all was. :crying:

My teacher said that first read is actually the most beneficial. All kinds of karma is being purified. You may not believe in all this stuff, but it makes a lot of sense when you experience it :P
Actually I do not doubt that at all...not sure if it is or is not karma...but I do believe it happens
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

lobster

Post by lobster »

Nilasarasvati wrote:The first time I read Word of My Perfect Teacher I was furious for pages and pages. So offended and put off. :tantrum:

:woohoo:
I knew a good book was worth reading at least 25 times over the years.
. . . now where is my suggested reading list . . . :smile:
:anjali: Hi
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

After much reading, meditation a few life changing events (well, they were life changing for me), I realize, that as much as I am interested in Buddhism, I am not a Buddhist, which is what I was seeking when I came here back in 2013. Although I have not contributed much on the forum, I have learned a lot... .Thank you

I am still not exactly sure what I truly am, I am currently not all that worried about it, however I am finding that I my view of things tend to be much more in line with Philosophical Taoism.....I will likely not be any great contributor in the future but I wanted to say thank you to those that help me along the way

:yinyang:
lobster

Post by lobster »

Fare thee well ...
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Welcome Tim! I love the Dalai Lama, Ethics for the New Millennium is one of my favorite books!

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

I'm back for a bit
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome back!

:meditate:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Tim,

You know there's a dedicated Zen/Chan/Seon forum now (address in my sig).

_/|\_
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

DNS wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 am Welcome back!

Thank You
Dan74 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:40 am Hi Tim,

_/|\_
I shall check it out. But of late I have had my head turned by Tibetan Buddhism, more so than I did when I first came to Dharma Wheel almost 5 years ago
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Wu Wei wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 am Welcome back!

Thank You
Dan74 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:40 am Hi Tim,

_/|\_
I shall check it out. But of late I have had my head turned by Tibetan Buddhism, more so than I did when I first came to Dharma Wheel almost 5 years ago
Good for you! More importantly, imo, is that you connect with a good teacher and sangha.

_/|\_
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

Hi

Its just me again. I have been exploring Buddhism lately so I thought I'd log in and look around. Still leaning towards the Taoist side of things, but I have an interest in Buddhism.

Been reading:

An Introduction to Buddhism by the Dalai Lama

I also have become intrigued with the Heart Sutra so I am also reading
The Other Shore: A New Translation of the Heart Sutra by Thich Nhat Hanh

Return to “Introductions”