Hi, everyone

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Redzen

Hi, everyone

Post by Redzen »

I'm Paul, in Sydney, Australia, and I'm here to learn and hopefully get some questions answered. I've been something of Buddhist dilettante in the past, something of an interested sceptic, if you like, but I feel the time has come to take it as seriously as it truly warrants. That is not to say I am without doubts. I have several doubts, but these can and will be resolved, I am sure.
lobster

Re: Hi, everyone

Post by lobster »

:smile:

Hi,

Maybe your doubts will be replaced with a better class of doubt . . . :shrug:

:namaste: Hope your serious commitment works out :twothumbsup:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Hi Paul, I'm Jonathan, also from Sydney Australia.

There are two kinds of doubts - nagging worries about 'will this be any good, will this work out OK?, is this really something worth pursuing?' They are what I would call 'small doubts'.

There is also the 'great doubt', of which Zen Master Hakuin said 'At the bottom of great doubt lies great awakening. If you doubt fully, you will awaken fully.'

And welcome to the Forum.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Redzen

Post by Redzen »

I see. I would say that my doubts are of the small sort. I cannot understand what Hakuin means by great doubt.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Welcome to the forum and best wishes.
Gwenn
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Redzen wrote:I see. I would say that my doubts are of the small sort. I cannot understand what Hakuin means by great doubt.
I don' have it.
It’s eye blinking.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Redzen wrote:I see. I would say that my doubts are of the small sort. I cannot understand what Hakuin means by great doubt.
The gist of it is the state of mind that arises from wresting with the difficulties of Zen training and going through states of complete perplexity and deep questioning. (There is a reasonable entry on Hakuin on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakuin_Ekaku). I only made the remark because of your comment about 'doubts', didn't mean to imply that it is something you ought to know about! And, welcome again.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Redzen

Post by Redzen »

jeeprs wrote:
The gist of it is the state of mind that arises from wresting with the difficulties of Zen training and going through states of complete perplexity and deep questioning. (There is a reasonable entry on Hakuin on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakuin_Ekaku). I only made the remark because of your comment about 'doubts', didn't mean to imply that it is something you ought to know about! And, welcome again.
Thanks, your explanation is helpful.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
Redzen

Post by Redzen »

A belated thank you, one and all for your warm greetings from April 6-23, 2014. It is only four and a half years since I posted my introduction, but what does that matter? I'm back and here to learn once more. And that's all that matters. I am particularly interested to learn more about Pure Land Buddhism, and its relationship to Zen Buddhism, in the Sino-Japanese tradition. That ought to keep me occupied here for a while.

I hope all is well with you, troops! Best wishes! Paul

Return to “Introductions”