Brief members bios - please contribute!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Virgo

Re: Brief members bios - please contribute!

Post by Virgo »

Welcome Emmet. Glad to have you here. :twothumbsup:

Kevin...
fikrilast

Post by fikrilast »

Hi. Im a 26 years old from malaysia and just started to learn more on spiritualism and buddhism to try to get away from my depression. I was on Dm as i had no buddhist friend here to talk about buddhism or perhaps to study further on this. Living in malaysia and was born muslim, i am surrounded by muslims friend or family who are oblivious to the practice of meditation amd mindfulness. Plus they wont tolerate my decision to learn more about budhhism, while the more secular friends seem to not bother at all about spiritualism. I started to be interested in eastern philosophy while reading schopenhaur whom had been mentioning a lot about the vedict philosophy. Then i came across "what the buddha taught" by walpola rahula and started reading more on buddhism and shivaite practice. I hope this could be the first platform for me to learn more and maybe be in a buddhist comunity. And if theres anyone here from malaysia i would love to be friend in real life. Thank you :)
Injrabodi

Post by Injrabodi »

Welcome Fikrilast. I have a Muslim friend and he typically just replaces the Buddhist paraphernalia with Islamic ones. Meditating while laying or in the prayer position, chanting the names of Allah instead of more typical mantras, always having a Quran close by, etc. This seems to get him by in the local community without too much trouble. From what I understand they merely see it as weird instead of blasphemy.
Kjetil_Amanaki

Post by Kjetil_Amanaki »

Hello :)

I am a 41 year old Theravada lay-buddhist, I was born and raised in Norway and still living here with my fianceè
Buddhism has been a part of my life for over 20 yers now and in many ways it has helped me thru difficult times and in happiness too.
Luckely for me my family was and still are very supporting of my path in life.

I have experienced loss of family member a few times to much (Both parents passed away) but you know, that has only been a teaching about why we are here as human being. Lif is a challenge but it is a reason why we are here :)

I always try to be open toward everyone and compassion has become a part of me during the path :)

Adding a photo of me so you know how i look :)
Attachments
18095012_1885331978414275_1623231113692446720_n.jpg
18095012_1885331978414275_1623231113692446720_n.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 29670 times
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

I never noticed this thread before! :shrug:

I am 64 years old.

I got started in Buddhism while I was serving in the RCAF. I was home on leave one time around 1978 and feeling nostalgic for the 1960s. I saw a book by Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen", and thought that Zen was a thing in the 60s so I should read it. I bought the book and it had a profound effect on me. I made notes of his bibliographic references and ordered those books. Then, using the publisher's information card in a couple of those books, I got myself on the mailing lists of a couple of publishers and ordered many more books on Buddhism.

The town I was stationed in had, to the best of my knowledge, no Buddhist groups, so once I realized that I was Buddhist myself, I took refuge by myself in front of a visualized assembly of Bodhisattvas.

At that point, I was starting to understand that being a soldier (in whatever branch of the service) was not Right Livelihood. I served out the remainder of my committment and then left the Air Force. The remainder of my career, until retirement a few years ago, was in IT.

Moving to a larger city, I was able to find a Tibetan group meeting weekly for basic meditation. I attended that group for several years, followed by another when that group's teacher moved away. In 1985, one of my friends from the meditation group went on a Buddhist pilgraimage to India, organized by a group (about 30 people) out of L.A., and I tagged along. We spent two weeks in Dharamsala receiving teachings from H.H. the Dalai Lama, including a private group audience with His Holiness. The pilgrimage also included visits to Bodh Gaya, Sarnath, Rajgir, Lumbini and Kushinagar, as well as touristy visits to Varanasi, the Taj Mahal and Katmandu.

I eventually got married and moved out to the one of the Gulf Islands on Canada's west coast. The islands were full of original and neo hippies, and I was not surprised to find another group to practise with out there. More recently, we moved to Nova Scotia. In spite of the presence of the Shambhala organization here, I have not found any meditation groups close enough to practise with, so I do a daily practice on my own.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Witschnerd1

Post by Witschnerd1 »

Hello I'm James, 41 years old
Father of 6 boys
Been a practicing Christian for many years
Just read a book about Buddhist and think it has a lot of truth in it. I have never known a practicing Buddhist. I would like to learn more and maybe clarify a few things. The book I read says to practice with a teacher or a group. I'm not sure if that is possible for me to do in my current situation. I would welcome anyone who knows more than me to guide me if possible.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Welcome to DharmaWheel :hi:

DharmaWheel is not really an interfaith forum as it's dedicated to Buddhism, but there are quite a few interfaith books and resources I am aware of that might be of help. There is quite a flourishing exchange of views between Christian and Buddhists particularly in Zen. Just consider that it's not necessarily a 'one or the other' kind of choice.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Dharmapaths.com is our sister forum for interfaith dialog.
Douglas Westbury

Post by Douglas Westbury »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 am (Our blog is here.)
Namaste dear Wayfarer !

I tried the link to your blog ... http://dhammagroup.blogspot.com/ ... but it must be out of date by now ...

Do you have a new link ? I would be interested to follow up on this !!!

Many thanks !!!

Douglas
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Douglas Westbury wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Wayfarer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 am (Our blog is here.)
Namaste dear Wayfarer !

I tried the link to your blog ... http://dhammagroup.blogspot.com/ ... but it must be out of date by now ...

Do you have a new link ? I would be interested to follow up on this !!!

Many thanks !!!

Douglas
Hi Douglas - that particular group ceased activities at the end of 2016 and the blog was deleted. Buddhist LIbrary Camperdown still has many other talks and regular presentations, you can find them at buddhistlibrary.org.au.

I am thinking about forming a Mahāyāna study group which would meet at the library, although it probably won’t be this year as I have a lot going on.

If you would like to get in touch privately by all means send me a PM.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
hermitseb

Post by hermitseb »

Hello there, I am Seb, from Canada. I'm a lay resident at a monastic retreat center in Canada, and thought I would come and join this forum once again. I used to post here occasionally, a long time ago, but I dont recall what name or email I might have used, and besides, I was probably a child, in terms of understanding anything at all, back then!

I'm a bit of a recluse and a hermit, though not 100% - one has to live in this world.. Especially in chilly winters :lol:

I am not sure what else to write, but hopefully I will be able to learn a lot from you folk here (as opposed to a random non-buddhist forum with misc spirituality where I hung out before this), and maybe even contribute a word or two, here and there!

:namaste:
Douglas Westbury

Post by Douglas Westbury »

hermitseb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:34 am Hello there, I am Seb, from Canada. I'm a lay resident at a monastic retreat center in Canada, and thought I would come and join this forum once again. I used to post here occasionally, a long time ago, but I dont recall what name or email I might have used, and besides, I was probably a child, in terms of understanding anything at all, back then!

I'm a bit of a recluse and a hermit, though not 100% - one has to live in this world.. Especially in chilly winters :lol:

I am not sure what else to write, but hopefully I will be able to learn a lot from you folk here (as opposed to a random non-buddhist forum with misc spirituality where I hung out before this), and maybe even contribute a word or two, here and there!

:namaste:
Namaste Seb !!!
Silent Bob1

Post by Silent Bob1 »

KathyLauren wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm I never noticed this thread before! :shrug:

I am 64 years old.

I eventually got married and moved out to the one of the Gulf Islands on Canada's west coast. The islands were full of original and neo hippies, and I was not surprised to find another group to practise with out there. More recently, we moved to Nova Scotia. In spite of the presence of the Shambhala organization here, I have not found any meditation groups close enough to practise with, so I do a daily practice on my own.

Kathy
Kathy--Without knowing just where on Nova Scotia you are, there is a newly formed retreat center near Baddeck, formed by Kagyu monastics who've left Gampo Abbey. There is also Terry Henderson's Big Hill retreat center, but I don't know if they host regular sittings.
I hope this helps.

Chris
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Silent Bob1 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 pm
Kathy--Without knowing just where on Nova Scotia you are, there is a newly formed retreat center near Baddeck, formed by Kagyu monastics who've left Gampo Abbey. There is also Terry Henderson's Big Hill retreat center, but I don't know if they host regular sittings.
I hope this helps.

Chris
Hi, Chris. I replied to your PM. Thank you!

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Karmazangmo

Post by Karmazangmo »

Hello my name is Karma Tutob Zangmo. I have been a buddhist since 1999 when I took my refuge vows with my husband by a very old lama. In 2004 in April I received my bodhisattva vows via Lama Kathy Wesley of the Karma Kagyu lineage. My Root guru is Precious One, Lama Zopa Rinpoche. I have been a student of his since December 2004.
This year the 104rth Ganden Tripa will be giving the Yamantaka initiation in October 2019 in Austria. This is my main deity which I have a karmic connection with.

This is my short bio Thank you all. 📣🙏🙏🙏
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Karmazangmo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 am Hello my name is Karma Tutob Zangmo. I have been a buddhist since 1999 when I took my refuge vows with my husband by a very old lama. In 2004 in April I received my bodhisattva vows via Lama Kathy Wesley of the Karma Kagyu lineage. My Root guru is Precious One, Lama Zopa Rinpoche. I have been a student of his since December 2004.
Lama Zopa is really great!
Karmazangmo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 am This year the 104rth Ganden Tripa will be giving the Yamantaka initiation in October 2019 in Austria. This is my main deity which I have a karmic connection with.
You shouldn't post all of that.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

I presume this is a "Buddhist bio" based on other offerings-- so that it shall be.

I began Buddhist practice in my early 20's. I say began Buddhist practice as opposed to becoming a Buddhist as I really had to grow into serious practice and study. That was a great blessing, as I had the framework of a practice in which to commit all of the mistakes of youth. As it is said, it is better to have vows and break them, to have none at all. And so it was. And rough blocks of a practice really helped guide me. Into Buddhist practice. Into being a decent human being. Because of my upbringing, I had a great deal working against that, and am grateful.

My first exposure to Buddhism was through my father who had an intellectual interest in Chan Buddhism. As well as other spiritual subjects ranging from contemplative Christianity to Qaballah. He never had a teacher. A dilettante. But I am indebted to him for knowing that something called Buddhism actually existed and was available in the world. Also through him an exposure to Asian languages, I Ching, and other classical Asian cultural things: calligraphy, music, poetry, history. Also exposure to many terrifying and dark things-- but that's a whole other narrative.

I'd like to say I had some profound reason for becoming a Buddhist. I was actively seeking-- something. I was exposed to depraved violence while in college, and seeing my own violent response in defense of others and self-preservation, I was very compelled to understand violence. And the pain I felt. Where it came from inside of us. No real noble aspiration. No touching story like seeing the Dalai Lama and bursting into tears. Pain. My pain, others' pain. What's that about? I felt a bit like Marlowe's Doctor Faustus. I went through a lot of things in that search: politics, psychology, science...

... and landed with Buddhism. Quite randomly really. I'd like to credit myself-- but I can't. There used to be a free university where I lived, and all of us who had no money and few options would pore through the offerings. And one day I saw a class on Tibetan Buddhism. Offered by a this older man. Interesting enough. I bought this old copy of Waddell's Tibetan Buddhism from Dover Books. Some weird stuff I thought. But I went to the class and it was a good solid introduction. And this man was a great teacher, a great interlocutor. Passionate. Truly passionate. There on this college campus in Tibetan religious robes.

One day, he invited this cohort out to the gompa. For puja. Not really knowing what either gompa or puja were. And so we went. And I'd like to say there was some profound spiritual insight on my part. Nah. Nothing like that. I was hooked by the look and feel of the texts. This cheap rough paper from India. Their smell. The look and sound of Tibetan. And-- the smell of the incense. I was hooked. I was home. It was visceral. Like being woken from a sleep. Like remembering a favorite childhood meal.

This lama referred me to another lama. And I remember going to my first major empowerment. Being blown away by the sheer energy and brilliance of the teacher and the complexity, nuance and beauty of the ritual itself. And whatever happened to me. Something. Afterwards getting this set of sadhanas to practice. And starting at the first line-- OH. OK. I don't know what that word means. Write that down to look up. Then the second line... repeat. This was before Snow Lion or the internet. A hard long schlog. Line by line. Word by word. Not exactly well prepared.

And I've done this ever since. More or less in this style. Gut. Chance. Accident. And cutting and plodding through.
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

Well met everyone on this, there are truly very interesting and inspirational bios here!
I am currently a 33 years old single male lay person with a job in IT industry.
I was borned in Asia, but my family immigrated to Canada when I was very young.
And I was lucky to have heard about the wondrous sublime dharma and received my 5 precepts at the Chen-Tien Chan Temple before my family immigrated. I am very thankful for Buddhism for helping me to lead a mostly upstanding and moral life, and be able to cope with the many challenges in life overall.

I had not followed the Buddhist teachings deeply when I was younger, so my childhood years were rough.
My parents divorced led my dad to lose tons of money in stock-market, which led to him to seek out girlfriends one after another in a continuous ditch-then-find loop, one at a time. Luckily both my parents still alive and in stable relationship for now. I was a bit too greedy with fame "skills" & personal comfort, which led me to some verbal or "vengeful-tricks" fights with classmates and step-moms and step-siblings (but never to any extremely-violent level).
in my teen years I was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive mental disorder issue when I refused food, obsessing over clean nasal & mouths. Then I keep changing schools and homes, so I did not make any real long-term friends. And I used to be very hateful against any god-based religion because I hate the idea of a supreme god who allows sufferings and evils in this human world while not directly helping. Seems way too tyrannical and unfair: to curse humankind to inferior existences beneath the heavens. But later I realized there are actually some very caring and kind people in other religions too. And once I let go my bigotry and wrong views, it becomes easier to see the commonalities between Buddhism and other god-based religions, namely: virtues, ethics, and overall goal to make the world a better place to live in.

Anyways as a result of my "peoples" and social issues, I still prefer loner introvert and frugal lifestyle here in Canada.
I don't really have any super-close personal friends around my age. But I still cherish the close bonds with my immediate family members.And now to me, it seems most people are actually inherently good if you keep a respectful distance, and not block their way of their worldly non-harmful pleasures.
Downside here in Canada is maybe excessive taxes and traffic fines and freezing winters! But on the plus side: freedom and mostly peaceful and safe stable society.
On hindsight, maybe universal healthcare and child education and general society welfare isn't so bad after: to care for the weak and the unfortunate, its just maybe too inefficient and costly in taxes.

Truly Shakyamuni Buddha was the one of the best and most-truthful teacher in this world. My own experience validates his teaching, as money and sense-based pleasures is very fluid only lasts for short time, and tend to cause more suffering overall if gone overboard with greed attachment upon it. Best to keep it at a manageable and balanced levels. And revenge is not always the best answer, sometimes wisdom with mercy & compassion are better paths to deal with others. Also haste makes waste, sometimes you gotta take it slow to deal with some complicated lessons or tasks properly.

I still find the 4th precept about speech as the hardest to uphold, especially if it relates to money or invades personal privacy and comfort. Also living a rushed lifestyle while pursuing wisdom and truth generally leads to lots of guessing and theories - very difficult to be 100% truthful and accurate, especially following the detailed scientific trial and errors path.
But I still believe truth and respect is sill the best policy most of the time, so I will try to keep at it.
Maybe I should just mostly stick to the noble silence and avoid interactions with other people!
I cannot lie if I am silent! :tongue:

Now I realized I must be more vigilant with stricter adherence to Buddhist ethics and meditation practices if want to proceed further on the righteous dharma path and remove my own unwanted mental-conditioning and fetters: like uncontrollable sleeplessness and restlessness and unwanted thoughts, etc.
To help myself and others to avoid harm suffering and unnecessary conflicts, in this very flawed world full of unwanted conditioning and sufferings, and hopefully move onto a much better world at the proper time.
The afterlife Buddha pure lands (Sukhavat, Vulture-peak... etc.) just seems much better, where one gets to receive precious teaching directly from a living fully-realized Buddha! :jumping:

Wishing all sentient beings to be well and happy,
well wisher
Placidus

Post by Placidus »

Greetings! I am Placidus from Australia. Over the years I have travelled and studied in East Asia and during this time I became attracted to Buddhism. I have visited temples and tried to read some scriptures and books about Buddhism. I have gained a strong impression of faith, devotion and prayer practised by Asian Buddhists whereas in “western” countries Buddhism seems to emphasise meditation and de-emphasise prayer and ritual. My impression may or may not be valid.
I am interested in various topics, including the nature of the self, reincarnation and the decipherment of Buddhist scriptures in the Gandhari language.
tonysharp

Post by tonysharp »

Hi everyone,

My name is Tony. I'm 37 years old, and I reside in midwest America. I've been a practicing Buddhist for about 12 years now, I think. I've been a member of dhammawheel for about 10 years as "mettafuture", and I was on eSangha before that. My primary objects of meditation are buddhanusati and metta. I consider myself a Theravada Buddhist, but I'm open to learning from other schools as well, hence my membership here. Tibetan and Zen Buddhism have occasionally piqued my interest.

:hi:

Return to “Introductions”