Brief members bios - please contribute!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Emmet

Re: Brief members bios - please contribute!

Post by Emmet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm 59, happily married, a former firefighter/paramedic and social worker, and have been quite fortunate to live within 3 miles of a Zen Center where I practiced for many years, and a Plum Village sangha as well, in a large and very diverse urban area. The Zen Center was very much my home, although with the virtually exclusive focus on zazen, we tended to silently come, sit, and leave. While I developed some deep relationships with some folks, it tended to be a very individualistic thing. I very much liked the TNH sangha with their very strong focus on community and bodhisattvic practice; collectively "flowing as a river", all Buddhism; all the time.
When I was diagnosed terminally ill with a neurologic disorder, we moved to be closer to family. However, when I didn't die on cue, they re-classified me as merely chronic. We now live in the buckle of the Bible Belt in a very homogeneous rural Appalachian village of 311 people; "three hours from anywhere". It's 98% White, 97% American-born, with the highest weekly church attendance in the state (94%); but only Christian churches; there are no temples, mosques, or gurdwaras for miles. When Mother Emanuel AME Church in Charleston was shot up by a White supremacist, killing nine parishioners, a veritable thicket of Confederate flags sprouted overnight across the county, and fanciful odes to the Confederacy, and overtly racist screeds, are regularly published in our weekly paper. We don't exactly celebrate diversity here, and neighbors routinely carry sidearms into the coffee shop or hardware store. Having come from a very diverse multicultural society, It's a very curious place to practice.
As I said, the nearest brick-and-mortar sanghas are nearly 6 hour 'round trips in any direction, and I don't drive. Even if I did, I'd never really be a member of their communities in the true sense; able to attend only rarely, I'd always be a visitor; a stranger. I continue to sit zazen in the little zendo I've set up, listening to on-line Dharma talks, and practicing chado (Ryurei, with allowances for my tremor), shinrin yoku (heavily influenced by TNH's style of walking meditation) in the Nantahala National Forest, and Yang-style Tai Chi; all solitary. Hermitage isn't all it's cracked up to be; I'm going to practice Ango this fall with Treeleaf; an on-line Zen sangha.

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 am

Welcome Emmet. Glad to have you here. :twothumbsup:

Kevin...

fikrilast

Post by fikrilast » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi. Im a 26 years old from malaysia and just started to learn more on spiritualism and buddhism to try to get away from my depression. I was on Dm as i had no buddhist friend here to talk about buddhism or perhaps to study further on this. Living in malaysia and was born muslim, i am surrounded by muslims friend or family who are oblivious to the practice of meditation amd mindfulness. Plus they wont tolerate my decision to learn more about budhhism, while the more secular friends seem to not bother at all about spiritualism. I started to be interested in eastern philosophy while reading schopenhaur whom had been mentioning a lot about the vedict philosophy. Then i came across "what the buddha taught" by walpola rahula and started reading more on buddhism and shivaite practice. I hope this could be the first platform for me to learn more and maybe be in a buddhist comunity. And if theres anyone here from malaysia i would love to be friend in real life. Thank you :)

Injrabodi

Post by Injrabodi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 am

Welcome Fikrilast. I have a Muslim friend and he typically just replaces the Buddhist paraphernalia with Islamic ones. Meditating while laying or in the prayer position, chanting the names of Allah instead of more typical mantras, always having a Quran close by, etc. This seems to get him by in the local community without too much trouble. From what I understand they merely see it as weird instead of blasphemy.

Return to “Introductions”