Quack!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Quack!

Post by 明安 Myoan » Sat May 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Taking a page out of Nicholas Weeks' book, I decided to start using my dharma name for something other than just sitting on a piece of paper in the attic :) My previous forum name was duckfiasco.

I took refuge in the Kagyu school a few years ago, but the full name "Karma Monlam Tharchin" is too long for the forum software. The name means "consummation of aspirations". We'll see about that!! :rolleye:

In passing, I'm curious what others use their "official" dharma names for.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen

Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Quack!

Post by Ayu » Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Congrats on this beautiful name, Monlam Tharchin.
It is good to have a name with an inspiring meaning.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat May 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Monlam Tharchin wrote: In passing, I'm curious what others use their "official" dharma names for.
I first took refuge about a decade ago. I retook my refuge vows last year as I considered that a lot had happened since then but I also had a much better appreciation of refuge. I considered legally changing my middle name to my refuge name but eventually decided against it.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun May 10, 2015 8:12 pm

:thumbsup:

You can call yourself Monlam Tharchin but . . .

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck then . . .

yan kong

Post by yan kong » Mon May 11, 2015 4:07 am

I only use it on the forum and when other practitioners ask me what it is.

I did an exploring monastic life program in Taiwan and they gave me a different Dharma name which I used for the duration there.

I know some Taiwanese people who use their Dharma name all the time, but I'd just seem weird if I did that.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 pm

I don't actually have a "dharma name." :emb:

Anyway, nice to meet you Monlam Tharchin.

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Wed May 13, 2015 11:21 pm

My refuge name is Karma Gonpo Gyaltsen. But I think my real name is more strange, so I use that instead.

:shrug: :alien:

I'm from France. Do you have any beer--I want to consume mass quantities!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

bryandavis

Post by bryandavis » Thu May 14, 2015 3:19 am

Well,

My mother named me Bryan. But at times in reciting confession in certain text when it says "insert name here" i use my dharma name just because. Since I mostly have rolled with Gar Rinpoche and by default he is a Drikungpa my name lottery came out to be: Konchog Jamden Chogyal.

I'm not French, I prefer dark rum and lime juice, but I had three beers and some taco's at a shit kicker mexican restaurant last night.

Cheers :cheers:

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Thu May 14, 2015 3:30 am

Nice name MT :)
Wondering if I should switch to Quang Hiển.

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi » Thu May 14, 2015 4:22 am

Hm, three Karmas here, maybe we will be related in a future life. Maybe nice ducks.

I got my dharma name from Lama Norlha Rinpoche. KDT = auspicious accomplishment of aims. I like Tashi.

I didn't know going in about the whole refuge name thing I thought most of the peeps on esagnha really were Tibetan hehe.

kajibabu

Post by kajibabu » Sat May 16, 2015 5:36 am

Monlam Tharchin wrote:Taking a page out of Nicholas Weeks' book, I decided to start using my dharma name for something other than just sitting on a piece of paper in the attic :) My previous forum name was duckfiasco.

I took refuge in the Kagyu school a few years ago, but the full name "Karma Monlam Tharchin" is too long for the forum software. The name means "consummation of aspirations". We'll see about that!! :rolleye:

I also like to change my username to my Dharma name, how to do it?
Babu, from Nepal

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Sat May 16, 2015 6:38 am

kajibabu wrote:
Monlam Tharchin wrote:Taking a page out of Nicholas Weeks' book, I decided to start using my dharma name for something other than just sitting on a piece of paper in the attic :) My previous forum name was duckfiasco.

I also like to change my username to my Dharma name, how to do it?
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p282955
:namaste:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

sattva

Post by sattva » Wed May 20, 2015 10:49 pm

I took the name online of sattva many years ago. It means being, pure, buoyant, etc. However, since then I received a Dharma name. It is Junjou. It means pure heart, a very hard name to live up to!!! My "real" name is Louise. I only use my Dharma name when writing to my teacher. :namaste:

Return to “Introductions”