A Goodbye from the Ayahuasca topic

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Ivo

A Goodbye from the Ayahuasca topic

Post by Ivo »

Just to chime in again and to say that I probably won't be participating in DW any longer. I am sure some people will be happy about that and I wish everybody well. I am not emotionally hurt or anything, I just see here censorship of opinion and scare mongering of the highest order and some vocal people do not seem to understand that the karmic path to liberation for different beings is different. As happened in this very thread, a person is asking about, say a car brand, and when someone points him to (good) external resources about this car, someone else comes, closes the topic, edits out the links and says that this particular car is no-good. And this all under the pretext of a compassionate Buddhist behavior. I just can't subscribe to that.

From one of my posts above were completely removed the references to one of the oldest and richest resources for entheogen use on the Internet - one of the very few places which hosts, among other things, a plethora of hidden and semi-hidden discussion boards where leading scientists in the fields of mycology, psychiatry and psychology discuss the current advances in entheogen use research. And this was termed an "ill-considered" post. And the Nexus, which is a similar case but mostly run by chemists and biochemists, was termed "uncritically enthusiastic" about the very topic it was created to discuss - Ayahuasca, which happens to also be the very topic of this current thread here. I hope this all makes sense to you, because it sure does not make sense to me :) In fact, I think that DW is far too uncritically enthusiastic about Buddhism. And I still subscribe to Buddhism myself, btw., I am just not a fundamentalist.

I especially wish to the OP that he finds strength to go over the difficult phase he found himself in, whether through the use of entheogens or through meditation alone. And may he know that Buddhism is still a wonderful path. The Buddhists are the problem, and I do not exclude myself in this particular case. Ayahuasca can be great, it can also be dangerous, as can be anything which is approached by someone who is not prepared to handle it. It is still Samsara, therapy is still Samsara. This doesn't make it useless. In many cases therapy is very much needed, in my opinion.

Warm regards to all! :anjali:
Last edited by Ayu on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title
Karma Dorje

Re: AYAHUASCA

Post by Karma Dorje »

Links removed? I totally get disagreeing with a point of view but censoring reasonable discussion of it?

That's pretty paternalistic, isn't it? Not to mention stupid, given Google. All that is done is to remove any possible context for buddhists that may have an interest in this point of view. It isn't like there is a dearth of information out there.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Ivo

Re: Farewell

Post by Ivo »

Just to say that I never posted in the forum "Introductions", never put a title "Farewell", was never asked whether I want this post moved and made into a separate topic, and, most importantly, would have never done this myself. This was part of the Ahayhasca thread.
I made my screenshot for the record. Now the kind enlightened moderators of this board may delete this thread, as I have no option to do that myself. I wish you all wisdom in the end.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away

So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Til the blue skies
Drive the dark clouds far away
So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them it won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singin' this song
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Ivo wrote:Just to say that I never posted in the forum "Introductions", never put a title "Farewell", was never asked whether I want this post moved and made into a separate topic, and, most importantly, would have never done this myself. This was part of the Ahayhasca thread.
I made my screenshot for the record. Now the kind enlightened moderators of this board may delete this thread, as I have no option to do that myself. I wish you all wisdom in the end.
If you would read our ToS, you would know, meta-discussions within a topic are off-topic and not allowed there.
You can suggest another title for this topic here, if you want.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Or you could delete it as he requested Ayu?

See-ya Ivo. Enjoy the time away from one less distraction.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: A Goodbye from the Ayahuasca topic

Post by Ayu »

Vasana wrote:Or you could delete it as he requested Ayu?
I'm not sure, wether this was a real request and also not wether this topic is of public interest. If there are more complaints we could move them here, instead of having them in that topic, and instead of removing them completly and thus being accused of "censorship".
I don't know, and I recommend having some time to think everything over - for everybody.
maybay

Post by maybay »

Its like there's a balance between the players and the audience. The players want to engage with one another with as little interference as possible. The audience, or their guardians the moderators, want to see order and keep order.

My two cents is give members space to work out their ideas and leave the moderation for as long as possible afterwards. Make the changes, but not so quickly.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It's basically like the threads where people tell others to stop medical treatment, etc. The mods have a responsibility to curb those kind of threads, whether it makes people feel censored or not.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Obviously a complex issue and not everyone will agree. My only hope is that people will make their decisions from a place of wisdom and compassion. Ivo, I wish you nothing but the best.

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
maybay

Post by maybay »

phpBB [video]
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Boris

Post by Boris »

Ivo wrote:Just to chime in again and to say that I probably won't be participating in DW any longer. I am sure some people will be happy about that and I wish everybody well. I am not emotionally hurt or anything, I just see here censorship of opinion and scare mongering of the highest order and some vocal people do not seem to understand that the karmic path to liberation for different beings is different. As happened in this very thread, a person is asking about, say a car brand, and when someone points him to (good) external resources about this car, someone else comes, closes the topic, edits out the links and says that this particular car is no-good. And this all under the pretext of a compassionate Buddhist behavior. I just can't subscribe to that.
Please do continue posting, if at all possible, for the benefit of all. Even with the censorship, I can name at least 5 people that I know personally, who have shared they had benefit from these posts, and some who specifically registered here because of that. I believe that amid great resistance, even a seemingly little benefit can go a long way.
boda

Post by boda »

Monoculturation* is enevitable in religious forums.

* I just coined it! :smile:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Why do people whinge so much about having to abide by the rules of a forum?

Nobody has a 'right' to post, nor a 'right' to insists that their personal crusade should be given succour.

Some topics tend to lead to a huge amount of interest because they are currently 'sexy' or 'cool' and can easily end up with a great deal of ad hom attacks and meta-discussion.

Personally I do discuss the problems and consequences of following a certain cult and its Gyalpo worship, but not here as it isn't welcomed.

It isn't a problem, really.

So if you really want to extoll the virtues of Ayahuasca and post a personal whinge about your treatment when you do, then the answer is simple.

it's a bit like a Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

:coffee:

March of 2016, everyone.
Ivo

Post by Ivo »

DGA wrote::coffee:

March of 2016, everyone.
Exactly.

I said what I had to say. I personally find very little use of Internet forums, including this one, at least as far as Tibetan Dharma is concerned. Malcolm's contributions are very nice, for sure, but the whole existence of such forums I personally find very misleading, especially for newcomers. And if someone wants to discuss something with me, there are tons of ways I can be reached, Facebook being the obvious one.

Mods, admins, please lock this topic.

Regards!

Return to “Introductions”