Hi all! New member from SA

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
AfroFries

Hi all! New member from SA

Post by AfroFries »

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a South African, I've been studying and practicing Buddhism in some form or another for about 6 years. My main practice is mindfulness meditation. I'm not a member of any particular group, I've visited the Gelug temple here (the only one on the entire African continent) and I've also visited other schools. I find a minimalistic Zen style approach to be best for me, although I also make use of the Green Tara mantra and Medicine Buddha Sutra when I feel the need.

I have the greatest respect for H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama and H.H. the 17th Karmapa as well as Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh and Ajahn Chah, among others.

I find Buddhism to be a great help in understanding life. To me Buddhism is a look at reality that provides practical and pragmatic solutions to the everyday troubles of the human condition.

Good to be part of Dharma Wheel.
Metta :buddha1:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Hi all! New member from SA

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to Dharmawheel. I hope you'll enjoy some of the discussions. :namaste:
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Thank you very much! :twothumbsup:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hello and welcome. :hi:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:namaste:
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

AfroFries wrote:Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a South African, I've been studying and practicing Buddhism in some form or another for about 6 years. My main practice is mindfulness meditation. I'm not a member of any particular group, I've visited the Gelug temple here (the only one on the entire African continent) and I've also visited other schools. I find a minimalistic Zen style approach to be best for me, although I also make use of the Green Tara mantra and Medicine Buddha Sutra when I feel the need.

I have the greatest respect for H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama and H.H. the 17th Karmapa as well as Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh and Ajahn Chah, among others.

I find Buddhism to be a great help in understanding life. To me Buddhism is a look at reality that provides practical and pragmatic solutions to the everyday troubles of the human condition.

Hi AF

I'm in SA as well, I would love to meet up with you at some stage to discuss the growing Dharma here in Africa. Welcome to the best Buddhist discussion board on the net.

:namaste:
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Hi mym,

Fantastic. Where are you based? I'm in Johannesburg. Which tradition do you practice in?

You can send me an email, I think there's a function for that somewhere here. I haven't explored much yet on this site but yes it does seem like a really great site. Very pure.

Good to make contact :)
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

AfroFries wrote:Hi mym,

Fantastic. Where are you based? I'm in Johannesburg. Which tradition do you practice in?

You can send me an email, I think there's a function for that somewhere here. I haven't explored much yet on this site but yes it does seem like a really great site. Very pure.

Good to make contact :)
Hi

I'm mainly Kagyu, with a Mahamudra practice, but have in recent years also started practicing Dzogchen as far as possible.

I am in Port Elizabeth, I will puzzle out the DM/email function. I know that my own settings are set to allow emails etc.

Best regards
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

OK, my interest lies more in the minimalistic, direct practices found in Buddhism. I'm not settled in any particular school, I'm still looking for a place to settle in that regard. I find the direct more austere approach of the Japanese schools very appealing - from Zen to Nichiren. We have a large Soka Gakkai movement here in Johannesburg, the temple isn't very far away from me actually.

Port Elizabeth is a beautiful place, quite a distance from Johannesburg though :)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

AfroFries wrote:Hi All,

Venerable Robina will be teaching in SA... she is a very good teacher. I posted the flyer here:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 27#p366227
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

A member from the Saṃyuktāgama itself?! I am honoured.

*joking*
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Venerable Robina will be teaching in SA... she is a very good teacher. I posted the flyer here:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 27#p366227
Thanks, I'm subscribed to Lamrim Tibetan Buddhist Centre's mailing list. I got the email about Ven. Robina Courtin :twothumbsup:

Return to “Introductions”