Yay and Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Mahina_Nima

Yay and Hello!

Postby Mahina_Nima » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi there! My name is Krystelle. I'm 21 and have been reading about Buddhism on and off for 5 years. I got interested in Buddhism at relatively a young age, after reading many books on quantum physics and the mentioning of Buddhism and the science connection to it. Therefore at the age of 15 I thought I should just read more on Buddhism since physics is just catching up to an ancient science and philosophy.

Until recently, I started taking Buddhism seriously and I'm trying to integrate it into my life. I have been drawn to the Nyingma tradition, however I'm starting to get a little bit confused as I progress through my Buddhist studies. It seems that with the Nyingma tradition there isn't a clear path as with the Lamrim in the other traditions. Is there anything like that in the Nyingma tradition? Any material that helps give a clear path through practicing Nyingma Buddhism. At the moment I do not have a teacher, but I am constantly looking for one.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

I'm excited to be sharing and exploring this community with everyone! :twothumbsup:

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Re: Yay and Hello!

Postby Admin_PC » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Lobsang Chojor

Postby Lobsang Chojor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Mahina_Nima wrote:It seems that with the Nyingma tradition there isn't a clear path as with the Lamrim in the other traditions. Is there anything like that in the Nyingma tradition? Any material that helps give a clear path through practicing Nyingma Buddhism. At the moment I do not have a teacher, but I am constantly looking for one.

Hello and welcome,

Words of My Perfect Teacher is a Nyingma commentary on Atisha's Lam Rim so that might be a good starting point.

Where are you from? Someone here may know of a centre near you they can recommend.

:namaste:
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
    Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

Mahina_Nima

Postby Mahina_Nima » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Mahina_Nima wrote:It seems that with the Nyingma tradition there isn't a clear path as with the Lamrim in the other traditions. Is there anything like that in the Nyingma tradition? Any material that helps give a clear path through practicing Nyingma Buddhism. At the moment I do not have a teacher, but I am constantly looking for one.

Hello and welcome,

Words of My Perfect Teacher is a Nyingma commentary on Atisha's Lam Rim so that might be a good starting point.

Where are you from? Someone here may know of a centre near you they can recommend.

:namaste:

Hello! Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely take a look at it. :twothumbsup:

I'm from Vancouver, BC

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

Welcome to DW!

:meditate:

Punya

Postby Punya » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello and welcome Krystelle. :hi:

These recordings of discussions about WOMPT might help too http://dharma-101.blogspot.com.au/2009/ ... eek-1.html.

Alex Trisolgio is a senior student and instructor with Siddhartha's Intent and is based in Vancouver. I'm don't know how often he teaches there now. Even though Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche doesn't like to be categorised, Siddhartha's Intent has a fairly strong Nyingma flavour. If you're interested, you could check out the local group http://northamerica.siddharthasintent.o ... vancouver/

If you haven't already done so, you might also consider visiting/contacting some of the Nyingma centres on this list http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province. ... ince_id=10.
If we do not believe in what we cannot see, it does not mean that it does not exist.
~ Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Rabga Drime

Postby Rabga Drime » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:47 pm

According to my teacher, you shouldn't read "Words of my Perfect Teacher" without the transmission of the text first.

There really is no "clear" path in Nyingma, because we rely on different terma (treasures revealed after the time of Guru Rinpoche). Best thing to do is find a Nyingma Lineage, then you will receive a clear path. I found the Palyul Lineage of Nyingma after two years of searching, best to go slowly and rely on your gut.

If you go to a centre and the teachers don't sit the best with you, don't force it, they're not your teacher. Also important to research Lineage. If you cannot find a clear connection between a local teacher and a main Lineage Holder or teacher, then maybe best to keep away (for example, my teacher is Tulku who was raised in Namdroling and taught by Penor Rinpoche).

Again, take your time, go slowly, and trust your gut. If you ever find yourself in Toronto, look up the Palyul Centre here. :)

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Really great to meet you, Mahina Nima, and welcome to the site.

Nyingma is one or the one which I don't know anything about, but I still wanted to say welcome.

Hope you become an active person at Dharmawheel and make friends and enjoy and share and learn a lot.

Best wishes,
Jacob
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Mahina_Nima

Postby Mahina_Nima » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:08 pm

joy&peace wrote:Really great to meet you, Mahina Nima, and welcome to the site.

Nyingma is one or the one which I don't know anything about, but I still wanted to say welcome.

Hope you become an active person at Dharmawheel and make friends and enjoy and share and learn a lot.

Best wishes,
Jacob

Thank you!

Mahina_Nima

Postby Mahina_Nima » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Rabga Drime wrote:According to my teacher, you shouldn't read "Words of my Perfect Teacher" without the transmission of the text first.

There really is no "clear" path in Nyingma, because we rely on different terma (treasures revealed after the time of Guru Rinpoche). Best thing to do is find a Nyingma Lineage, then you will receive a clear path. I found the Palyul Lineage of Nyingma after two years of searching, best to go slowly and rely on your gut.

If you go to a centre and the teachers don't sit the best with you, don't force it, they're not your teacher. Also important to research Lineage. If you cannot find a clear connection between a local teacher and a main Lineage Holder or teacher, then maybe best to keep away (for example, my teacher is Tulku who was raised in Namdroling and taught by Penor Rinpoche).

Again, take your time, go slowly, and trust your gut. If you ever find yourself in Toronto, look up the Palyul Centre here. :)

Okay nice to know! And thank you for your advice. Thank you!

Mahina_Nima

Postby Mahina_Nima » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Punya wrote:Hello and welcome Krystelle. :hi:

These recordings of discussions about WOMPT might help too http://dharma-101.blogspot.com.au/2009/ ... eek-1.html.

Alex Trisolgio is a senior student and instructor with Siddhartha's Intent and is based in Vancouver. I'm don't know how often he teaches there now. Even though Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche doesn't like to be categorised, Siddhartha's Intent has a fairly strong Nyingma flavour. If you're interested, you could check out the local group http://northamerica.siddharthasintent.o ... vancouver/

If you haven't already done so, you might also consider visiting/contacting some of the Nyingma centres on this list http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province. ... ince_id=10.

Thank you for your advice! And yes I've heard of Siddharthas Intent and I'm very interested. I will definitely take a look! Thank you!

Return to “Introductions”