Showing your real picture

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Strive
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Strive » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:26 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
odysseus wrote:I read the passage. But a picture on the internet is just this, a picture. It's a virtual representation of the body only. However foul this body could appear, it is what we are known by. We have to live with it, and it is also needed to live the holy life.
Well, I don't have a photo handy, but this is a pretty good likeness:

Image
lol :twothumbsup:

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
TharpaChodron wrote:btw, are there any other women on this forum? i would like to know.
One of the mods is a woman.
thank you, good to know. a balance of both men and women is healthy. is there a thread about that topic? i'm relatively new so i won't press the issue...yet. :D
A good balance is healthy but my experience has been that online forums (regardless of subject) appeal more to men than to women. In real life, women outnumber men in dharma centres. Online, it's the other way around.
That said, there are plenty of people here, both men and women, whose user names and posting style don't reveal their gender. And why should it matter, in the dharma? Good sense is good sense - and nonsense is nonsense - whether it comes from someone who sings soprano or someone who sings bass, or whether it comes from a 15-y-o or a 75-y-o.
:thinking:
And I'm not sure that the better communication which comes from knowing these things is a big enough benefit to make up for the (often unconscious) bias and prejudgement that will come with the knowledge.

What I would like, more than a picture, is a location - at least to country or state level. It's a simple addition to anyone's ID information and tells everyone useful stuff about each other.

:namaste:
Kim


User avatar
jkarlins
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am
Location: Amesbury, MA USA

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 am

pic copy.jpg
pic copy.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 917 times
This is a picture of me. Wow, that took some work to figure out.

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by The Cicada » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote: What I would like, more than a picture, is a location - at least to country or state level. It's a simple addition to anyone's ID information and tells everyone useful stuff about each other.

:namaste:
Kim
Well, as a mod, you've already got us there, Kim—unless we go to extreme lengths to simulate another location.
TharpaChodron wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: One of the mods is a woman.
thank you, good to know. a balance of both men and women is healthy. is there a thread about that topic? i'm relatively new so i won't press the issue...yet. :D
A good balance is healthy but my experience has been that online forums (regardless of subject) appeal more to men than to women. In real life, women outnumber men in dharma centres. Online, it's the other way around.
That said, there are plenty of people here, both men and women, whose user names and posting style don't reveal their gender. And why should it matter, in the dharma? Good sense is good sense - and nonsense is nonsense - whether it comes from someone who sings soprano or someone who sings bass, or whether it comes from a 15-y-o or a 75-y-o.
:thinking:
And I'm not sure that the better communication which comes from knowing these things is a big enough benefit to make up for the (often unconscious) bias and prejudgement that will come with the knowledge.
I agree with you on both counts. I don't think most women have the presdisposition to engage in involved discussions, and arguments, over the internet about the details of religious doctrines anymore than most women feel compelled to build Linux boxes, construct conlangs or reconstruct the history of the Romulan empire from assorted references.

And unconscious bias is very powerful. It's the stuff of advertising and other forms of mass media manipulation. Unless we are very careful, we will all react to a given stimuli despite ourselves. Just a thought: adding our real pictures prompts unenlightened worldlings to start rating the attractiveness of the poster, outsourcing our evaluation of their ideas to the hindbrain rather than our more evolved forebrain. It would also cause women to be objectified, subconsciously and involuntarily.

See my post elsewhere on the forum about secular burkas.

:thumbsup:

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 pm

sorry for derailing this thread. insofar as gender, culture and unconscious judgments etc, i'll check the threads and discuss elsewhere accordingly.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:58 pm

The Cicada wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:One of the mods is a woman. There are a few others, but it's mostly a sausage fest.
I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

:namaste:
Duly noted.

:namaste:
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
Jonzenti89
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Jonzenti89 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm new to this forum but here I am in Russia, 2013
Image

and me in October of last year
Image

User avatar
odysseus
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by odysseus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Some bad tongues said that "Buddhism is the sole bastion of males." But I think women are more involved, as they appreciate the kind nature of the Buddha more. As women. Modern men are too macho and need to be pacified.
Let a man not seek for the respect of his peers, but let him seek wisdom.

-- Dhammapada

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 pm

odysseus wrote:Some bad tongues said that "Buddhism is the sole bastion of males." But I think women are more involved, as they appreciate the kind nature of the Buddha more. As women. Modern men are too macho and need to be pacified.
yes, I don't think Buddhism is just for men, that's just silly. There are many female Buddhist teachers and writers. But the online forum is more of a male dominated area (apart from perhaps Pinterest ha), men do like to argue semantics etc more as women are often culturally trained to avoid conflict imo. Hence, I want to engage but have a hard time not being so damn agreeable on everything.

tbh, I would never find myself on an online forum except a friend showed me how to get on.

But, the secular Burkha thing, not my bag that's for sure. :shock:

joy&peace
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by joy&peace » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Dzogchungpa is such a literalist..

:heart: :heart:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4630
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by conebeckham » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
The Cicada wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:One of the mods is a woman. There are a few others, but it's mostly a sausage fest.
I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

:namaste:
Duly noted.

:namaste:
Of course you agree...or rather, he agrees. He's a psychic, after all!
Magic!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:29 pm

conebeckham wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
The Cicada wrote: I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

:namaste:
Duly noted.

:namaste:
Of course you agree...or rather, he agrees. He's a psychic, after all!
Magic!
I agree.

:namaste:
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
odysseus
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by odysseus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Stop that flirting and get back to topic, how old are you really! I am 44 and an adult.

Where is the problem in coming out officially as a Buddhist and show it to the world? The Buddha wanted us to display our conviction.
Let a man not seek for the respect of his peers, but let him seek wisdom.

-- Dhammapada

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 pm

odysseus wrote:Stop that flirting and get back to topic, how old are you really! I am 44 and an adult.

Where is the problem in coming out officially as a Buddhist and show it to the world? The Buddha wanted us to display our conviction.
Party pooper. :smile:
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:49 pm

odysseus wrote:Where is the problem in coming out officially as a Buddhist and show it to the world?
Depends where you live and sometimes on your job. In some countries people face discrimination and even persecution for going public with a minority religion. It doesn't affect Buddhists here in Australia, but it is a problem for some Muslims. :thinking:
But even here - and far more so in the US - anyone working (e.g.) in a Christian school would be silly to make a big public show of their Buddhist faith.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
odysseus
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by odysseus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote: But even here - and far more so in the US - anyone working (e.g.) in a Christian school would be silly to make a big public show of their Buddhist faith.

:namaste:
Kim
I am not talking about a Pride Parade! I am talking about standing up for your conviction and be a representant of Buddha.
Let a man not seek for the respect of his peers, but let him seek wisdom.

-- Dhammapada

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 am

odysseus wrote:I am not talking about a Pride Parade! I am talking about standing up for your conviction and be a representant of Buddha.
Well, in all seriousness, I AM standing up for my conviction. My avatar is the best representation of my true nature that I can find, and the Buddha already has plenty of much better representants than me.
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 am

Hey, I put up my photo again. A less pretentious one this time :)

User avatar
Lukeinaz
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Lukeinaz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 am

I am having trouble posting an avatar. Every picture I find seems to be too large in kb or whatever. Is there any way to size down the pic?
Staying here without discomfort,
I am at ease and free from worries,
In a state of joyful mind.
Are you well yourself, my dear mother?
-Nyoshul Rinpoche

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests