Showing your real picture

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Strive

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by Strive »

dzogchungpa wrote:
odysseus wrote:I read the passage. But a picture on the internet is just this, a picture. It's a virtual representation of the body only. However foul this body could appear, it is what we are known by. We have to live with it, and it is also needed to live the holy life.
Well, I don't have a photo handy, but this is a pretty good likeness:

lol :twothumbsup:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

TharpaChodron wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
TharpaChodron wrote:btw, are there any other women on this forum? i would like to know.
One of the mods is a woman.
thank you, good to know. a balance of both men and women is healthy. is there a thread about that topic? i'm relatively new so i won't press the issue...yet. :D
A good balance is healthy but my experience has been that online forums (regardless of subject) appeal more to men than to women. In real life, women outnumber men in dharma centres. Online, it's the other way around.
That said, there are plenty of people here, both men and women, whose user names and posting style don't reveal their gender. And why should it matter, in the dharma? Good sense is good sense - and nonsense is nonsense - whether it comes from someone who sings soprano or someone who sings bass, or whether it comes from a 15-y-o or a 75-y-o.
:thinking:
And I'm not sure that the better communication which comes from knowing these things is a big enough benefit to make up for the (often unconscious) bias and prejudgement that will come with the knowledge.

What I would like, more than a picture, is a location - at least to country or state level. It's a simple addition to anyone's ID information and tells everyone useful stuff about each other.

:namaste:
Kim
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kevin
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

pic copy.jpg
pic copy.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
This is a picture of me. Wow, that took some work to figure out.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Kim O'Hara wrote: What I would like, more than a picture, is a location - at least to country or state level. It's a simple addition to anyone's ID information and tells everyone useful stuff about each other.

Kim
Well, as a mod, you've already got us there, Kim—unless we go to extreme lengths to simulate another location.
TharpaChodron wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: One of the mods is a woman.
thank you, good to know. a balance of both men and women is healthy. is there a thread about that topic? i'm relatively new so i won't press the issue...yet. :D
A good balance is healthy but my experience has been that online forums (regardless of subject) appeal more to men than to women. In real life, women outnumber men in dharma centres. Online, it's the other way around.
That said, there are plenty of people here, both men and women, whose user names and posting style don't reveal their gender. And why should it matter, in the dharma? Good sense is good sense - and nonsense is nonsense - whether it comes from someone who sings soprano or someone who sings bass, or whether it comes from a 15-y-o or a 75-y-o.
:thinking:
And I'm not sure that the better communication which comes from knowing these things is a big enough benefit to make up for the (often unconscious) bias and prejudgement that will come with the knowledge.
I agree with you on both counts. I don't think most women have the presdisposition to engage in involved discussions, and arguments, over the internet about the details of religious doctrines anymore than most women feel compelled to build Linux boxes, construct conlangs or reconstruct the history of the Romulan empire from assorted references.

And unconscious bias is very powerful. It's the stuff of advertising and other forms of mass media manipulation. Unless we are very careful, we will all react to a given stimuli despite ourselves. Just a thought: adding our real pictures prompts unenlightened worldlings to start rating the attractiveness of the poster, outsourcing our evaluation of their ideas to the hindbrain rather than our more evolved forebrain. It would also cause women to be objectified, subconsciously and involuntarily.

See my post elsewhere on the forum about secular burkas.

:thumbsup:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

sorry for derailing this thread. insofar as gender, culture and unconscious judgments etc, i'll check the threads and discuss elsewhere accordingly.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

The Cicada wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:One of the mods is a woman. There are a few others, but it's mostly a sausage fest.
I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

Duly noted.

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Jonzenti89

Post by Jonzenti89 »

I'm new to this forum but here I am in Russia, 2013

and me in October of last year
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Some bad tongues said that "Buddhism is the sole bastion of males." But I think women are more involved, as they appreciate the kind nature of the Buddha more. As women. Modern men are too macho and need to be pacified.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote:Some bad tongues said that "Buddhism is the sole bastion of males." But I think women are more involved, as they appreciate the kind nature of the Buddha more. As women. Modern men are too macho and need to be pacified.
yes, I don't think Buddhism is just for men, that's just silly. There are many female Buddhist teachers and writers. But the online forum is more of a male dominated area (apart from perhaps Pinterest ha), men do like to argue semantics etc more as women are often culturally trained to avoid conflict imo. Hence, I want to engage but have a hard time not being so damn agreeable on everything.

tbh, I would never find myself on an online forum except a friend showed me how to get on.

But, the secular Burkha thing, not my bag that's for sure. :shock:
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Dzogchungpa is such a literalist..

:heart: :heart:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

dzogchungpa wrote:
The Cicada wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:One of the mods is a woman. There are a few others, but it's mostly a sausage fest.
I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

Duly noted.

Of course you agree...or rather, he agrees. He's a psychic, after all!
Magic!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

conebeckham wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
The Cicada wrote: I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

Duly noted.

Of course you agree...or rather, he agrees. He's a psychic, after all!
Magic!
I agree.

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Stop that flirting and get back to topic, how old are you really! I am 44 and an adult.

Where is the problem in coming out officially as a Buddhist and show it to the world? The Buddha wanted us to display our conviction.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

odysseus wrote:Stop that flirting and get back to topic, how old are you really! I am 44 and an adult.

Where is the problem in coming out officially as a Buddhist and show it to the world? The Buddha wanted us to display our conviction.
Party pooper. :smile:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

odysseus wrote:Where is the problem in coming out officially as a Buddhist and show it to the world?
Depends where you live and sometimes on your job. In some countries people face discrimination and even persecution for going public with a minority religion. It doesn't affect Buddhists here in Australia, but it is a problem for some Muslims. :thinking:
But even here - and far more so in the US - anyone working (e.g.) in a Christian school would be silly to make a big public show of their Buddhist faith.

Kim
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Kim O'Hara wrote: But even here - and far more so in the US - anyone working (e.g.) in a Christian school would be silly to make a big public show of their Buddhist faith.

Kim
I am not talking about a Pride Parade! I am talking about standing up for your conviction and be a representant of Buddha.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

odysseus wrote:I am not talking about a Pride Parade! I am talking about standing up for your conviction and be a representant of Buddha.
Well, in all seriousness, I AM standing up for my conviction. My avatar is the best representation of my true nature that I can find, and the Buddha already has plenty of much better representants than me.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Hey, I put up my photo again. A less pretentious one this time :)
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

I am having trouble posting an avatar. Every picture I find seems to be too large in kb or whatever. Is there any way to size down the pic?

Return to “Introductions”