Showing your real picture

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
joy&peace

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by joy&peace »

Miroku wrote:Well here is my mugshot. Pardon my looks but I was having a hangover and my friend didnt take no as an answer. :D
Miroku, you are handsome. There looks to be so much goodness in this picture.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Old Stan

Post by Old Stan »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Your real picture looks much better than your animated avatar. Just sayin' (a compliment)
Haha:) Thanks ! :twothumbsup:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Here I am in Cuba last October, looking for my father's long lost home.
Attachments
IMG_6996 (1).jpg
IMG_6996 (1).jpg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Thanks folks, but when I posted this thread I was not looking for a beauty contest and who is "hot or not". Stop the adolescent flirting, please. I just wanted us to come forward and put our money where our mouths are and proclaim your face that you are Buddhist. Of course, only if you are ready to tell. The Buddha wanted us to display our conviction, of course in a gentle manner mind you. No need to dress up in Tibetan dresses or wear saffron robes. Just don't be shy and be sad if you want to, but on this forum it cannot hurt to be Buddhist or whatever?
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

We have some gorgeous Buddhists around here, what can I say :twothumbsup:

hint hint Tharpa ;)

(Had to tease old odysseus a bit Lol)

Practice, Practice, Practice
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

CedarTree wrote:We have some gorgeous Buddhists around here, what can I say :twothumbsup:

hint hint Tharpa ;)

I am not old. I am 44. I mean it's alright with beauty, but it is skin deep. With 500 million Buddhists in the world, there must be at least one of them who are beautiful, but you don't have to be beautiful to turn me on to Dharma. Oh, rambling now but if there are 500 million Buddhists we cannot be shy to say we are too. :stirthepot:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote:
CedarTree wrote:We have some gorgeous Buddhists around here, what can I say :twothumbsup:

hint hint Tharpa ;)

I am not old. I am 44. I mean it's alright with beauty, but it is skin deep. With 500 million Buddhists in the world, there must be at least one of them who are beautiful, but you don't have to be beautiful to turn me on to Dharma. Oh, rambling now but if there are 500 million Buddhists we cannot be shy to say we are too. :stirthepot:

Intelligence really is far more attractive than someone's physical beauty, of course. The less timid or shy we are, though, seems like it makes things more lively. :smile:

As someone said earlier, too, I think learning where someone is from is also very interesting. there's more acceptance of Buddhism (that I can see) in non-US western societies, and I enjoy talking to my fellow Dharma practitioners around the world.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

TharpaChodron wrote:
Intelligence really is far more attractive than someone's physical beauty, of course.
Are you sure? Some guys I knew said they rather wanted beauty than intelligence. Some "beautiful" women will settle for money instead of intelligence. :offtopic:
TharpaChodron wrote: The less timid or shy we are, though, seems like it makes things more lively. :smile:
That's why I want your pictures, so I can recognise who I am talking with. It's better communication, because you can have a sight of the person in your mind.
TharpaChodron wrote:
As someone said earlier, too, I think learning where someone is from is also very interesting. there's more acceptance of Buddhism (that I can see) in non-US western societies, and I enjoy talking to my fellow Dharma practitioners around the world.
I heard that Buddhism is accepted in USA and there are 10 million Buddhists in USA. We should maybe learn to accept our conviction, but I understand many people come from Christian backgrounds and have issues because of that. I have been to Asia and they just say they are Buddhists, they are like everybody else. No reason to hide on a forum, even if you only ever heard about the First Noble Truth. Buddhism is not an elite club, anyone can join.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote: Are you sure? Some guys I knew said they rather wanted beauty than intelligence. Some "beautiful" women will settle for money instead of intelligence. :offtopic:

I heard that Buddhism is accepted in USA and there are 10 million Buddhists in USA. We should maybe learn to accept our conviction, but I understand many people come from Christian backgrounds and have issues because of that. I have been to Asia and they just say they are Buddhists, they are like everybody else. No reason to hide on a forum, even if you only ever heard about the First Noble Truth. Buddhism is not an elite club, anyone can join.
Well, I guess I'm referring to being attractive as a human being and someone people like to be around, not for procreation etc.

10 million sounds like a big number, although it could be. There's the Asian immigrants who may be technically Buddhist, but don't really practice or are about as Buddhist as I am Christian just because of my cultural background. For the most part, it appears that 99.9% of Americans are pretty ignorant regarding Buddhism. Especially if you live in a small city, like I do. There are some very ignorant born-again Christian type churches around here that teach people other religions are devil worship and witchcraft. Crazy, sad but true! Now that I live here I see it with my own eyes.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

TharpaChodron wrote: 10 million sounds like a big number, although it could be.
What I heard. I don't know how it is counted.
TharpaChodron wrote: For the most part, it appears that 99.9% of Americans are pretty ignorant regarding Buddhism.
We don't need them to be knowledgable about Buddhism. Just do your best in daily life.
TharpaChodron wrote: There are some very ignorant born-again Christian type churches around here that teach people other religions are devil worship and witchcraft. Crazy, sad but true! Now that I live here I see it with my own eyes.
Hm, that's not so cool. If they are so fundamenatlists, there is difficult to convince them otherwise.

That makes me think about why I now have to "appease" Christians and Moslems and Hindus, just because I am Buddhist. Why the need to find "common ground" with them and then they want me to suddenly "perhaps" belive in their god.

If you live in an environment like that, I wish you the very best to uphold your Buddhism and don't believe them about our "devil worship".
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote: If you live in an environment like that, I wish you the very best to uphold your Buddhism and don't believe them about our "devil worship".
San Francisco and my practice center is two hours by car away, so it's not too bad. I met someone from Munich recently at my center and he was complaining about the lack of Dharma centers near him, and here he came all the way to California for some teachings. I guess it's all about our perspective.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

My own center is 1 hours drive. But I don't own a car, so with public transport it takes 3,5 hours.

You say you live in a small town with zealous Christians, but you live close to San Francisco and that's a big city. Well, take a break and go out for a meal in a restaurant and visit your Dharma center when you can. I tell you I am lucky that here in Norway, the most hardcore Christians keep to their own groups and hardly make too much out of themselves. I guess this country is a sinner's place with not much religious people, even if they claim to be. You can fight the born-again people, but I have to fight narcissists and nihilists. Welcome to Norway, they claimed it to be the happiest country in the world. But Samsara exists also here.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote:My own center is 1 hours drive. But I don't own a car, so with public transport it takes 3,5 hours.

You say you live in a small town with zealous Christians, but you live close to San Francisco and that's a big city. Well, take a break and go out for a meal in a restaurant and visit your Dharma center when you can. I tell you I am lucky that here in Norway, the most hardcore Christians keep to their own groups and hardly make too much out of themselves. I guess this country is a sinner's place with not much religious people, even if they claim to be. You can fight the born-again people, but I have to fight narcissists and nihilists. Welcome to Norway, they claimed it to be the happiest country in the world. But Samsara exists also here.
Yes, the popular impression of Norway here is of some sort of utopian paradise, yet we know that Samsara is endless, indeed. I don't fight the born again zealots, most people here are pretty tolerant. In fact, I have an old Catholic deacon who I chat with at work and who takes a sincere interest in Buddhadharma. Anyways, the born agains have a market here and it's perhaps a unique element of US religion that emphasizes a personal relationship with Jesus or god over religious tradition. So, anyone can basically say they're a prophet and start a little church, and spread their ideas unchecked. Like there was a makeshift church in a house across my street. I'd hear the preacher telling his flock that Steve Jobs died of cancer because he practiced Hinduism. Wrong on so many levels, but they have no clue.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

TharpaChodron wrote: Yes, the popular impression of Norway here is of some sort of utopian paradise, yet we know that Samsara is endless, indeed.
And the American Dream is a hallucination? I am kind of glad I live here, but I thought of emigrating to USA for work. But all countries have some fault or another, seems so.
TharpaChodron wrote: I don't fight the born again zealots, most people here are pretty tolerant. In fact, I have an old Catholic deacon who I chat with at work and who takes a sincere interest in Buddhadharma.
Good to hear. You scared me a bit with your description of your habitat. :-)
TharpaChodron wrote: Anyways, the born agains have a market here and it's perhaps a unique element of US religion that emphasizes a personal relationship with Jesus or god over religious tradition. So, anyone can basically say they're a prophet and start a little church, and spread their ideas unchecked.
We also have some groups who gathers billions of dollars on spreading their magical revelations and healing. They have their own TV channel, like in USA.

TharpaChodron wrote:
Like there was a makeshift church in a house across my street. I'd hear the preacher telling his flock that Steve Jobs died of cancer because he practiced Hinduism. Wrong on so many levels, but they have no clue.
Never heard of Steve Jobs conviction. But that's a really backward thing to say, when we all know physical diseases come from nature and not our religious inclination.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote:
And the American Dream is a hallucination? I am kind of glad I live here, but I thought of emigrating to USA for work. But all countries have some fault or another, seems

Good to hear. You scared me a bit with your description of your habitat. :-)
I actually still believe in the American Dream (probably catch some flak around here for that), but I know no country is perfect.

My habitat is very agricultural based. The fact that Google and silicon valley etc are only two hours away i guess speaks to the diversity of California, and the US. Come visit!
Kris

Post by Kris »

It's your boy Kris, looking dapper as usual :twothumbsup: :tongue:
btw the Henny is all gone
:cheers:
21106364_1915218638493810_4776763782531349704_n.jpg
21106364_1915218638493810_4776763782531349704_n.jpg (57.77 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

odysseus wrote:So, maybe it is time for the members to show their faces? Drop the good old symbolic icons to prove you are a Buddhist. I would like to see more lovely faces on here, maybe we even can be friends. How cool is that, really?
How do I add my picture? :tantrum:
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

KrisW wrote:It's your boy Kris, looking dapper as usual :twothumbsup: :tongue:
btw the Henny is all gone
:cheers: 21106364_1915218638493810_4776763782531349704_n.jpg
cheers!
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
odysseus wrote:So, maybe it is time for the members to show their faces? Drop the good old symbolic icons to prove you are a Buddhist. I would like to see more lovely faces on here, maybe we even can be friends. How cool is that, really?
How do I add my picture? :tantrum:
Click on your name in the upper right corner, then click: User Control Panel > Profile tab > Edit Avatar.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

TharpaChodron wrote:Come visit!
Thanks!

Return to “Introductions”