Hi y'all!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Retaco

Hi y'all!

Post by Retaco »

I'm a person interested in buddhism. I've read several books on the topic, mainly allan watts and stephen bachelor and I became intrigued by it. I've always liked philosophy, specially the questions regarding the self and the meaning of what we do, existentialism is a school of philosophy that I really enjoy, so it's normal that I have been drawn towards buddhism. Trying to understand a little more I watched a university course on buddhism (if someone is interested, search for TTC Video - Buddhism in your favourite torrent search engine) and a PBS documentary. Both things helped me to understand a bit more, but I knew that no matter how many books I read, how many videos I watch or how many lectures I hear I woudn't understand 100% what's all about if I don't practice it.

So the last couple of months I've tried to meditate, and I say tried because I have no clue of what I'm doing. My "meditation routine" is to sit down legs crossed for half an hour counting breaths with my eyes almost closed. If a thought crosses my mind I try to acknoledge it and try to move on, if I cannot move on I begin to focus hard on my breath once again. Of course what happens most of the time is that I keep rushing betwwen thoughts and ideas, which I have no clue if it is supposed to be like this or I'm doing it completely wrong.

With all that said, how one "goes deeper"? I guess the answer will be: find a teacher, but there are several problems with that. There aren't that many buddhist in my country (Spain), the nearest buddhist centre is affiliated with a group that has a very polemic reputation, to put it kindly, and the next one is 150 km away (100 milles more or lees).

Anyhow, this is getting too long, so TL;DR: I just wanna say hi! :D
Virgo

Re: Hi y'all!

Post by Virgo »

Welcome sir.

Kevin
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
:anjali:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Welcome. :smile:

Some venerable FB-friend of mine is from Valencia. She's a Tibetan Buddhist nun. Then Ösel Hita is from Spain. And I met some Tibetan Buddhist persons in meatspace - they were from Barcelona. All followers of the Dalai Lama. :smile:
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Welcome.

I know of a spanish Sakya group called Sangha activa. Don't know if that helps.
Retaco

Post by Retaco »

Thank you all for this warm welcome :D

Return to “Introductions”