Hi y'all!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Retaco

Hi y'all!

Post by Retaco » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:18 am

I'm a person interested in buddhism. I've read several books on the topic, mainly allan watts and stephen bachelor and I became intrigued by it. I've always liked philosophy, specially the questions regarding the self and the meaning of what we do, existentialism is a school of philosophy that I really enjoy, so it's normal that I have been drawn towards buddhism. Trying to understand a little more I watched a university course on buddhism (if someone is interested, search for TTC Video - Buddhism in your favourite torrent search engine) and a PBS documentary. Both things helped me to understand a bit more, but I knew that no matter how many books I read, how many videos I watch or how many lectures I hear I woudn't understand 100% what's all about if I don't practice it.

So the last couple of months I've tried to meditate, and I say tried because I have no clue of what I'm doing. My "meditation routine" is to sit down legs crossed for half an hour counting breaths with my eyes almost closed. If a thought crosses my mind I try to acknoledge it and try to move on, if I cannot move on I begin to focus hard on my breath once again. Of course what happens most of the time is that I keep rushing betwwen thoughts and ideas, which I have no clue if it is supposed to be like this or I'm doing it completely wrong.

With all that said, how one "goes deeper"? I guess the answer will be: find a teacher, but there are several problems with that. There aren't that many buddhist in my country (Spain), the nearest buddhist centre is affiliated with a group that has a very polemic reputation, to put it kindly, and the next one is 150 km away (100 milles more or lees).

Anyhow, this is getting too long, so TL;DR: I just wanna say hi! :D

Virgo
Global Moderator

Re: Hi y'all!

Post by Virgo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:30 am

Welcome sir.

Kevin

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:31 am

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Welcome. :smile:

Some venerable FB-friend of mine is from Valencia. She's a Tibetan Buddhist nun. Then Ösel Hita is from Spain. And I met some Tibetan Buddhist persons in meatspace - they were from Barcelona. All followers of the Dalai Lama. :smile:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Welcome.

I know of a spanish Sakya group called Sangha activa. Don't know if that helps.
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

Retaco

Post by Retaco » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Thank you all for this warm welcome :D