Greetings and a question

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Muso

Greetings and a question

Post by Muso »

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to be part of this online Sangha. I consider myself a secular Buddhist, though I have spent some time at the local Gelug temple, received a Je Tsongkhapa empowerment a few years ago and also went on meditation retreats and the Vajrasattva purification retreat as well as participated in several pujas over the years etc... though I find the ritualism of Tibetan Buddhism unsuited to my needs, it is a magnificent form of Buddhism that captivates and intruiges me. I was drawn to this site not only out of need of being part of a Sangha but also because I have a question.

I was perusing my Facebook profile yesterday and came across a picture of an elderly Tibetan monk, I have no idea who he is but his image left a peaceful impression on my mind. Shortly after logging off the words Palden Lhamo popped into my head, I had no idea who that was and why that popped into my mind out of nowhere, the thought persisted until I googled it and I was surprised to learn about this fierce female Dharma protector. I felt no negativity associated with her image at all, in fact I felt peace. I find the images of Dharmapalas very peaceful.

I suppose the thought came up because somewhere I must've read about her and it left an impression on my mind. Or maybe having just recently broken up with my girlfriend had something to do with it :lol: :?

Anyway, I look forward to your replies.
:buddha1:
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Greetings and a question

Post by kirtu »

Welcome Muso, nice to meet you. I hope you will like it here.

But what was your question?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Muso

Post by Muso »

Thank you Kirt

Yes I realised after reading my post that I had phrased it rather poorly and left out the question. I'd like to know if that persistent thought of Palden Lhamo that popped into my head out of the blue has any significanc other than just being a mental imprint, from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective?

Thank you
:namaste:

kirtu wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 am Welcome Muso, nice to meet you. I hope you will like it here.

Kirt
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Muso wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am I'd like to know if that persistent thought of Palden Lhamo that popped into my head out of the blue has any significanc other than just being a mental imprint, from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective?
No one can say. People have all kinds of experiences and thoughts almost all of which have no significance wrt deepening one's good qualities.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
Muso

Post by Muso »

Thank you very much!

:thanks:
Admin_PC wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
Muso

Post by Muso »

Thank you Kirt, that makes a lot of sense :twothumbsup:
kirtu wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:10 am
Muso wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am I'd like to know if that persistent thought of Palden Lhamo that popped into my head out of the blue has any significanc other than just being a mental imprint, from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective?
No one can say. People have all kinds of experiences and thoughts almost all of which have no significance wrt deepening one's good qualities.

Kirt
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Welcome to the Forum Muso!

You find Ritualism unsuited for you but then Palden Lhamo pops up? -Interesting.

Visioning of Palden Lhamo? Listen to your heart about the meaning- sometimes first thought is best thought (Ch. Trungpa)

But don't ponder so much about the why. Just look and let go.
Maybe your vision of Palden wants to remind you to cut through confusion and ignorance.
Maybe your ego is jsut bored and makes things up.
Maybe maybe.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:yinyang:
tranides

Post by tranides »

Muso wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am Thank you Kirt

Yes I realised after reading my post that I had phrased it rather poorly and left out the question. I'd like to know if that persistent thought of Palden Lhamo that popped into my head out of the blue has any significanc other than just being a mental imprint, from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective?

Thank you
Hey on forum,
If you are highly realized one, then it does. If not, then it does not :).
If u didnt reach Boddhisattva stage, thinking it has some significance can lead to attachment and wrong view, which can lead to ego clinging and so on.
My teacher told me once - observe, dont get attached and i would say its best in that case - since u can work with impermanence and interdependend origination :) - observe and learn.

regards,
Luke
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Muso wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am Thank you Kirt

Thank you
kirtu wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 am Welcome Muso, nice to meet you. I hope you will like it here.

Not necessarily. I was once told (from somewhere) "Gaze Into the Diadem" only i didn't know what a diadem was. I had to look it up later. Also, I was also almost trampled by a huge ox in a dream which I looked at and knew it was called an Aurochs. I had no idea what an aurochs was, and Googled it later to discover it was the origin of the modern "cow" or "ox" which all cattle descend from, extinct in the 1600's. Why i had the dream, no idea. Again, I had no idea what these words meant. The universe could have simply written that note and put it in your mind.

Kirt
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

yes i messed up the quotation, sorry guys. Moderator can delete this please , my bad
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Return to “Introductions”