Hello All

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
No_Mind

Hello All

Post by No_Mind » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am

Hi Everyone,

I am from India. For some years I have been a participant in the sister sites DhammaWheel and DharmaPaths.

I believe in Theravada Buddhism and also Hinduism (I do not see them as competing but as complimentary philosophies). I was born a Hindu (not exactly a mainstream Hindu but sort of very watered down Hindu, I guess), I have been SBNR (spiritual but not religious) for most of my life and developed belief in what is called Tao - pervading force behind the universe. In Hinduism it is called Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma in Buddhist suttas).

I am here to read and understand what other branches of Buddhism are like, what are their fundamental teachings and practices.

:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello All

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 am

Welcome to the (other) DW! Good to see that you are here too.

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 am

Welcome, No Mind.

Not sure how representative the Forums are of any branches of Buddhism. It's a bit like a flea market or a trash and treasure box. Lots of discarded thoughts, with a very occasional collectible. Good luck assembling a reliable picture out of it.

I'd first suggest reading some introductory books, maybe watching vids. Then asking questions here.

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am
Hi Everyone,

I am from India. For some years I have been a participant in the sister sites DhammaWheel and DharmaPaths.

I believe in Theravada Buddhism and also Hinduism (I do not see them as competing but as complimentary philosophies). I was born a Hindu (not exactly a mainstream Hindu but sort of very watered down Hindu, I guess), I have been SBNR (spiritual but not religious) for most of my life and developed belief in what is called Tao - pervading force behind the universe. In Hinduism it is called Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma in Buddhist suttas).

I am here to read and understand what other branches of Buddhism are like, what are their fundamental teachings and practices.

Dan makes a very good point, there's a good chance you will get bombarded and attract trolling for mentioning Hindu references on buddhist forum so not sure if this is the exact place to learn about Buddhism without being told you cannot practise both or that traditions cannot co-exist. My tradition is in Ch'an/Zen but also have a relationship with Advaita Vendata, especially the teachings of Nisargadatta. To me many religions/philosophies/practises can compliment each other but most on forums will not agree. So be ready for that.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm

fuki wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm
Dan makes a very good point, there's a good chance you will get bombarded and attract trolling for mentioning Hindu references on buddhist forum so not sure if this is the exact place to learn about Buddhism without being told you cannot practise both or that traditions cannot co-exist. My tradition is in Ch'an/Zen but also have a relationship with Advaita Vendata, especially the teachings of Nisargadatta. To me many religions/philosophies/practises can compliment each other but most on forums will not agree. So be ready for that.
Hi.

I am here to mostly read and not take part in conversation. Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).

I am mostly interested in Zen Buddhism and concept of Dharmakāya in Mahayana Buddhism.

Hopefully I will not be trolled. I come in peace :smile:

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:14 pm

No_Mind wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi.

I am here to mostly read and not take part in conversation. Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).

I am mostly interested in Zen Buddhism and concept of Dharmakāya in Mahayana Buddhism.

Hopefully I will not be trolled. I come in peace :smile:

Sounds good No-Mind, nice to meet you. :)
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Welcome no mind. Make sure you participate in the discussions. The California school of buddhism is alive and well here too. :lol:

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 am

Um... so welcome to the Forum, No Mind! :hi:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 am

Yes that too... :smile:
Taking advantage of a temporary situation. Back for a short time only folks.

anjali
Global Moderator

Post by anjali » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 am

A number of posts split to Can other religions/philosophies/practises complement Buddhadharma?

No_Mind, welcome aboard! May your explorations of the Buddhadarma here be fruitful.

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 am

fuki wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm
No_Mind wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am
Hi Everyone,

If you take a look at the quality of discussion on most "non dualism. " etc. forums, much less those with an even wider net, I think it makes a good argument for limiting discussion to mostly Buddhist topics. Indeed, there is no reason for knee-jerk reactions to mention or interest in other traditions, but forums which tend towards universalism are usually also hotbeds for misinformation and what you might call "platitude-based learning" about Buddhism, if the alternative is that people here are a little stodgy, I'm good with that.

That said, welcome to the forum No_Mind, while many people bristle at some of the debate here, I have found the place all the more useful for it, so I hope you enjoy your experience, and really take something tangible from it.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 am

No_Mind wrote:
... Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).
Wonderful compassion. You point out the essence of senseless discussion clearly. :smile:

Welcome. :hi:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:29 am

1-Blessing Buddha statue.jpg
1-Blessing Buddha statue.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 732 times
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 am

Ayu wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 am
No_Mind wrote:
... Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).
Wonderful compassion. You point out the essence of senseless discussion clearly. :smile:

Welcome. :hi:
Sorry... I wanted to write "comparison". :thumbsup:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 am

Hi No_Mind1 :hi:

My approach is similar to yours - although I live in Australia rather than India. But I’m a bit of an eclectic, which came from many years of visiting the Adyar Bookshop, which used to be run by the Theosophical Society, although it went out of business long since. I am not formally a part of any school or organisation although I identify with Zen. Anyway - welcome to DharmaWheel, I hope you find it informative.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Introductions”