Hello All

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
No_Mind

Hello All

Post by No_Mind »

Hi Everyone,

I am from India. For some years I have been a participant in the sister sites DhammaWheel and DharmaPaths.

I believe in Theravada Buddhism and also Hinduism (I do not see them as competing but as complimentary philosophies). I was born a Hindu (not exactly a mainstream Hindu but sort of very watered down Hindu, I guess), I have been SBNR (spiritual but not religious) for most of my life and developed belief in what is called Tao - pervading force behind the universe. In Hinduism it is called Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma in Buddhist suttas).

I am here to read and understand what other branches of Buddhism are like, what are their fundamental teachings and practices.

:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello All

Post by DNS »

Welcome to the (other) DW! Good to see that you are here too.

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Welcome, No Mind.

Not sure how representative the Forums are of any branches of Buddhism. It's a bit like a flea market or a trash and treasure box. Lots of discarded thoughts, with a very occasional collectible. Good luck assembling a reliable picture out of it.

I'd first suggest reading some introductory books, maybe watching vids. Then asking questions here.
fuki

Post by fuki »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am Hi Everyone,

I am from India. For some years I have been a participant in the sister sites DhammaWheel and DharmaPaths.

I believe in Theravada Buddhism and also Hinduism (I do not see them as competing but as complimentary philosophies). I was born a Hindu (not exactly a mainstream Hindu but sort of very watered down Hindu, I guess), I have been SBNR (spiritual but not religious) for most of my life and developed belief in what is called Tao - pervading force behind the universe. In Hinduism it is called Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma in Buddhist suttas).

I am here to read and understand what other branches of Buddhism are like, what are their fundamental teachings and practices.

Dan makes a very good point, there's a good chance you will get bombarded and attract trolling for mentioning Hindu references on buddhist forum so not sure if this is the exact place to learn about Buddhism without being told you cannot practise both or that traditions cannot co-exist. My tradition is in Ch'an/Zen but also have a relationship with Advaita Vendata, especially the teachings of Nisargadatta. To me many religions/philosophies/practises can compliment each other but most on forums will not agree. So be ready for that.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

fuki wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm Dan makes a very good point, there's a good chance you will get bombarded and attract trolling for mentioning Hindu references on buddhist forum so not sure if this is the exact place to learn about Buddhism without being told you cannot practise both or that traditions cannot co-exist. My tradition is in Ch'an/Zen but also have a relationship with Advaita Vendata, especially the teachings of Nisargadatta. To me many religions/philosophies/practises can compliment each other but most on forums will not agree. So be ready for that.
Hi.

I am here to mostly read and not take part in conversation. Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).

I am mostly interested in Zen Buddhism and concept of Dharmakāya in Mahayana Buddhism.

Hopefully I will not be trolled. I come in peace :smile:

fuki

Post by fuki »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm
Hi.

I am here to mostly read and not take part in conversation. Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).

I am mostly interested in Zen Buddhism and concept of Dharmakāya in Mahayana Buddhism.

Hopefully I will not be trolled. I come in peace :smile:

Sounds good No-Mind, nice to meet you. :)
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Welcome no mind. Make sure you participate in the discussions. The California school of buddhism is alive and well here too. :lol:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Um... so welcome to the Forum, No Mind! :hi:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Yes that too... :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

A number of posts split to Can other religions/philosophies/practises complement Buddhadharma?

No_Mind, welcome aboard! May your explorations of the Buddhadarma here be fruitful.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

fuki wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm
No_Mind wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am Hi Everyone,

Dan makes a very good point, there's a good chance you will get bombarded and attract trolling for mentioning Hindu references on buddhist forum so not sure if this is the exact place to learn about Buddhism without being told you cannot practise both or that traditions cannot co-exist. My tradition is in Ch'an/Zen but also have a relationship with Advaita Vendata, especially the teachings of Nisargadatta. To me many religions/philosophies/practises can compliment each other but most on forums will not agree. So be ready for that.
If you take a look at the quality of discussion on most "non dualism. " etc. forums, much less those with an even wider net, I think it makes a good argument for limiting discussion to mostly Buddhist topics. Indeed, there is no reason for knee-jerk reactions to mention or interest in other traditions, but forums which tend towards universalism are usually also hotbeds for misinformation and what you might call "platitude-based learning" about Buddhism, if the alternative is that people here are a little stodgy, I'm good with that.

That said, welcome to the forum No_Mind, while many people bristle at some of the debate here, I have found the place all the more useful for it, so I hope you enjoy your experience, and really take something tangible from it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm ... Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).
Wonderful compassion. You point out the essence of senseless discussion clearly. :smile:

Welcome. :hi:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

1-Blessing Buddha statue.jpg
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Ayu wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 am
No_Mind wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm ... Since Mahayana is not my primary tradition arguing with Mahayanists would be rather pointless since neither of us have anything to prove to one another. Bit like a soccer and rugby player dropping in on a field hockey match (a rugby player would have something to prove to a NFL player and vice versa but I do not believe that is the case here).
Wonderful compassion. You point out the essence of senseless discussion clearly. :smile:

Welcome. :hi:
Sorry... I wanted to write "comparison". :thumbsup:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Hi No_Mind1 :hi:

My approach is similar to yours - although I live in Australia rather than India. But I’m a bit of an eclectic, which came from many years of visiting the Adyar Bookshop, which used to be run by the Theosophical Society, although it went out of business long since. I am not formally a part of any school or organisation although I identify with Zen. Anyway - welcome to DharmaWheel, I hope you find it informative.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Introductions”