Greetings from Cape Cod MA

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
DiamondMeru

Greetings from Cape Cod MA

Post by DiamondMeru »

Hi, my name is Lisa and I have been studying/practicing Buddhism for a year without a teacher or Sangha. I don’t know if I can say I am a Buddhist but I believe in The Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, meditation, and Buddha mind. I would like to learn more and am looking for books on the most important Sutras and teachings and am having trouble with knowing where to start as their is so much information. I have been reading Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa Rinpoche, the Abhidhamma manual by Bhikkhu Bodhi, What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, and am currently reading The Way to Buddhahood by Yin-shun.
I have also been watching Bhikkhu YuttoDhamma on the Dhammapada verses, and Dalai Lama online videos.
I just want to know out of all this information, what is most valuable to practice besides meditation. I do mantra chanting, and mindfulness, along with Hindu Kundalini Chakra meditations.
Thank you,
Lisa
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Greetings from Cape Cod MA

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Besides meditation I find it useful to practice breath awareness, mindfulness or mantra recitation throughout the day, prostrations, cultivating loving kindness and wholesome habits in small things we do towards developing the Six Paramitas.

Welcome to DW, Lisa.

_/|\_
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Are you fond of sand dunes and salty air Lisa? :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:cheers:
DiamondMeru

Post by DiamondMeru »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 pm Are you fond of sand dunes and salty air Lisa? :smile:
Honestly, I am more of a nature trail girl. I love marshes and snow on the beach in the winter. I would love to go to Tibet or Nepal to see the Himalayan mountains covered in snow. :namaste:
DiamondMeru

Post by DiamondMeru »

Thank you for the warm welcome. :namaste:
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Hi Lisa,

Nature is so nice, I have spent a couple months before. . . I recommend so much.

Shantideva, Vimalakirti.

Meditation is the key, it is wisdom.
Cianan

Post by Cianan »

Welcome! Glad to have you here. :smile:

Besides the ever-important practice of meditation, it is highly beneficial to contemplate, and there are many possible areas of contemplation that you will find in dharma. Shantideva's Bodhisattvacaryāvatāra, A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, is a remarkable text replete with inspiring words of wisdom to contemplate all along the path.
“All is an adornment for clarifying wisdom,
And is purified simply by realizing this.”

Return to “Introductions”