Intro and a question

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Savoir

Intro and a question

Post by Savoir »

[Mod note: For those wishing to reply to Savoir's question, do so carefully, as responses could easily violate the Terms of Service...]

Hi all,

Lovely to be a member of this online Sangha. I've been engaged in Dharma practice for a few years mainly within Tibetan Buddhism. I have a question but due to the terms I won't use names or specifics. After being involved with a controversial organisation and realising what it is and how off the path it is I was not in a good frame of mind and took all the books and images that I bought while a member and burnt them. I felt a sense of relief. However is there negative karmic associations with doings so? I feel that it was justified because of what those images and books were an extension of and a corruption of pure Dharma.

I apologise if I have transgressed the terms in any way but I really need an answer or at least an opinion. The level of confusion caused by being involved with a controversial organisation is quite traumatic.

I'm now a member of the Karma Kagyu school under H.H. the 17th Karmapa.

Thank you
:buddha1:
anjali
Former staff member

Re: Intro and a question

Post by anjali »

Greetings and welcome to Dharma Wheel, Savoir! Hopefully you have found a good Karma Kagyu dharma center near where you live. There are some long time practitioners in that tradition on this board. I'm sure they would be glad to answer any questions you may have about that tradition. To answer your question, no, as far as I'm concerned there are no adverse consequences.
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

Hi anjali,

Thank you for your reply and welcoming message. The Kagyu centre in my area is the Kagyu Samye Dzong, a branch of the Kagyu Samye Ling Monastery in Scotland.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Savoir wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:44 am Hi anjali,

Thank you for your reply and welcoming message. The Kagyu centre in my area is the Kagyu Samye Dzong, a branch of the Kagyu Samye Ling Monastery in Scotland.
:thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

If you are worried about it, why don't you just light an incense, burn some gold paper and ask that your relationship be finished.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

All cults use fear and guilt to trap their victims, practice equanimity and continue on your path my friend. Everything will be okay. There are others here with the same experience as you and they are all doing fine since leaving the cult. :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Savoir wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 pm
However is there negative karmic associations with doings so? I feel that it was justified because of what those images and books were an extension of and a corruption of pure Dharma.
No bad intention there so no bad karma either. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am All cults use fear and guilt to trap their victims, practice equanimity and continue on your path my friend. Everything will be okay. There are others here with the same experience as you and they are all doing fine since leaving the cult. :smile:
Thank you very much for your response Grigoris! It is much appreciated. :smile:
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am If you are worried about it, why don't you just light an incense, burn some gold paper and ask that your relationship be finished.
I'm not worried. I asked more out of respect for the Buddha and the Dharma texts as I don't want to desecrate holy objects. However as mentioned the images and books were full of the organisations teachings and thus not in line with what the high lamas and lineage holders of Vajrayana Buddhism teach. I personally feel that even H.H. the Dalai Lama would agree with what I did. I just wanted to rid myself and my home of all that negativity, and I did.
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am If you are worried about it, why don't you just light an incense, burn some gold paper and ask that your relationship be finished.
But thank you for that tip! :thanks:
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

DNS wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 am Welcome to DW!

:thanks:
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

seeker242 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Savoir wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 pm
However is there negative karmic associations with doings so? I feel that it was justified because of what those images and books were an extension of and a corruption of pure Dharma.
No bad intention there so no bad karma either. :smile:
That's very insightful. Thank you very much :smile:
Savoir

Post by Savoir »

Admin_PC wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
Thank you! Glad to be here :namaste:
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Welcome to DW, Savoir. May you enjoy and profit of it.

We are all confused beings wandering in Samsara. Some more, some less, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Don't worry too much, just never forget to keep your eyes (i.e. ALL your senses you are equipped with) open on your path!

I have to quote Lewis Caroll here because somehow it feels as for you this entering DW is like a graduation from whatever you've been in before:
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
(interpretative remark: by here probably the whole world is meant, that's at least as I read it)
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Return to “Introductions”