Greetings from Canada

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
kausalya

Greetings from Canada

Post by kausalya »

Not much to say about myself, but if everyone else is doing it, I don't see why not to introduce myself :tongue:

I've been all over the map, in terms of religion/philosophy, but I settled on Buddhism in 2010 as the most beneficial for my mind (coinciding with when I met my Root Lama). I had a lot of help getting there, sometimes from unlikely sources! Growing up Christian, I had a mother who is/was deeply skeptical of other faiths, but she actually volunteered to give me my first introduction to Dharma, in the form of Acariya Mun Bhuridatta Thera's spiritual biography. Much of the text was dry, but I sensed something so unique about him that I had to explore more, and I did so without special regard toward any one tradition.

If books can be counted as teachers, then Thich Nhat Hanh, the late Kalu Rinpoche, Lama Surya Das and Shunryu Suzuki Roshi were some of my first.

All of my formal practice has taken place within the Gelug lineage, which wasn't my plan when I was setting out, but which has had tremendous effects on my development, and has given me a life I never thought possible. Perhaps my experiences and understandings will be of some use.

:anjali:
Virgo

Re: Greetings from Canada

Post by Virgo »

Welcome. :)

Kevin...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:namaste:
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Welcome!

I live in Oakville and also have a strong connection to Kalu Rinpoche through my late teacher.

What part of the GWN are you from, eh?

Geoff
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Karma Dorje wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:08 pm Welcome!

I live in Oakville and also have a strong connection to Kalu Rinpoche through my late teacher.

What part of the GWN are you from, eh?

Geoff
I split my time between Ottawa and Kingston :)

Kalu Rinpoche spent a little time with my lama during a Mahamudra retreat, and I'm led to believe it had a major impact on him. I've often wished we could have met... maybe in the next life!
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)

Return to “Introductions”