Hello I'm Aaron

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
shanyin

Hello I'm Aaron

Post by shanyin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi I'm Aaron.

I became interested in Buddhism when I was about to go to high school. Then I read a book called Dharma Punx that taught meditation. I tried meditation (or whatever you want to call it) by focusing on my breathing and dealing with thoughts and my minds attention on the object of the breath. I live in Northern Ontario. I have a mom and dad, and 2 sisters who are older than me.

I took Bodhisattva vows in the Mahayana tradition at the International Buddhist Temple in Richmond, BC. I am a little confused because I thought it was in Vancouver, now it says Richmond lol!

I view the Bodhisattva path as someone who goes out and helps the world and people and is motivated by compassion and seeks enlightenment. At least that's how I think of them.

I have been living on my own now since about 2012. I am poor but my family helps out alot.

I am interested to be a part of this Dharma Wheel community. It seems my only experience with Buddhism is focusing on my breathing, reading Buddhist books, meeting monks, going on one retreat and talking on forums.

I'm hoping this community can help me on my path of awakening.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Hello I'm Aaron

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi, Aaron. Welcome. :smile:

Please join the fray. It can be rough at times, but generally, everyone here has good intentions.

I edited your post a little - I think you'll know how. It's all good.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

shanyin

Post by shanyin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Well I hope you can accept my apology over my private message. I seem to be getting defensive with regards to my illness to the point of anger and, my mind feels like a blank for days and days. Just got back from an injection.

anjali
Global Moderator

Post by anjali » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

shanyin wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm
Well I hope you can accept my apology over my private message. I seem to be getting defensive with regards to my illness to the point of anger and, my mind feels like a blank for days and days. Just got back from an injection.
No worries. It's all good. Welcome to Dharmawheel and well wishes always. :cheers:

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

shanyin

Post by shanyin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 am

I just want to say while there is alot I don't understand about alot of the in depth Buddhist philosophical points, I agree with alot of what Buddhists have to say on forums such as this and newbuddhist about society and current affairs. I think the Sangha often doesn't have much to say (well, doesn't say much) with regard to current events but I like alot of the posts here. I don't have much to say on these topics myself.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Welcome to DW!

Return to “Introductions”