greetings!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
ushi

greetings!

Post by ushi »

hello new friends!

my name is Andy, though i go by "ushi", which is Japanese for "ox". think Year of the Ox, strong as an ox, the Ten Ox-Herding Pictures, etc. you get the idea: the ox is a noble animal!

i came to buddhism about 10 years ago when i was in college and searching for an answer to the problem of suffering. i learned to meditate through a 10-day vipassana retreat in the style of S.N. Goenka, and i practiced in this way off and on for many years, though really i was more of an "intellectual" buddhist, as i collected and read many books but did relatively little in the way of actual meditation.

these days i live in western Colorado, right on the border between the mountains and the desert. i work for our local public library and am currently pursuing a degree in IT.

in my somewhat geographically isolated community, there are not a lot of buddhists. i felt extremely lucky to find a Rinzai zen sangha here with an ordained osho leading it. i began sitting regularly with this group in April of 2018. the teacher has been amazing in encouraging me to continue my previous meditation activities while encouraging me equally to learn about zazen and Rinzai and zen more broadly.

in my own practice, i do concentration meditation (anapanasati) and zazen, for between 30 and 60 minutes each day. i am preparing to attend a sesshin in the next few months, so i am trying to extend my sitting times.

anyway, i think that's enough about me. i look forward to meeting with and learning from you all! thank you.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: greetings!

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: greetings!

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:hi:
Namu Amida Butsu