Can we discuss Theravada teachings?

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
2ndchance

Can we discuss Theravada teachings?

Post by 2ndchance »

Hello can we discuss Theravada teachings from the perspective of a Mahayana/Vajrayana practitioner? Thanks.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Can we discuss Theravada teachings?

Post by Grigoris »

2ndchance wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am Hello can we discuss Theravada teachings from the perspective of a Mahayana/Vajrayana practitioner? Thanks.
Of course. But do consider that since this is a Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism forum, this view will be considered definitive.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

Might want to try out www.dhammawheel.com
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ford_truckin wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:18 am Might want to try out www.dhammawheel.com
Ummmmmm... Somehow I don't think you will be able to "discuss Theravada teachings from the perspective of Mahayana/Vajrayana" at DWT. :shrug:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

2ndchance wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am Hello can we discuss Theravada teachings from the perspective of a Mahayana/Vajrayana practitioner? Thanks.
Go for it.....!!!
2ndchance

Post by 2ndchance »

Well I am mainly a Varjrayana practitioner with interest in Mahayana teachings as well.

Lately, I have been delving into Theravada teachings as they seem pretty straightforward compared to Vajrayana teachings.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

2ndchance wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 am Lately, I have been delving into Theravada teachings as they seem pretty straightforward compared to Vajrayana teachings.
That's basically correct, IMO.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

The Theravada Canon is more or less equivalent, at least for all intents and purposes here, with the Agamas, and both the Chinese and Tibetan Canons include such texts. IMO, it's entirely silly to think that discussing such texts is somehow outside of the realm of someone with connections to the Mahayana or Vajrayana.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

2ndchance wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 am Well I am mainly a Varjrayana practitioner with interest in Mahayana teachings as well.

Lately, I have been delving into Theravada teachings as they seem pretty straightforward compared to Vajrayana teachings.
I used to be a Thai Forest Monk

Two things I still do from Theravada - Walking Meditation which I love and the 5 Precepts which I practice.

Theravada is very much the Classic Eightfold Path. Conduct with Concentration/Mindfulness, then Investigation/Insight.

An important aspect is the Experience of Letting Go which is Dharmic in Nature.

After being a Monk I didn't practice for three years then I went to Pure Land Teaching and practised a hybrid of Pure Land/Theravada before going over to Pure Land entirely. Post that I came to Secret Mantra.

There are some crossovers like Samatha Meditation which exists in both Secret Mantra and Theravada.

A major difference though - No Bodhicitta in Theravada, doesn't mean they don't have Metta/Karuna and they're not kind it's just Bodhicitta isn't included.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

2ndchance wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 amLately, I have been delving into Theravada teachings as they seem pretty straightforward compared to Vajrayana teachings.
Oh, indeed they are! I spent a large part of my early years of Buddhist practice translating Pali Canon Sutta from English to Greek.

Sherab

Post by Sherab »

2ndchance wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 am Well I am mainly a Varjrayana practitioner with interest in Mahayana teachings as well.

It seems to me that the Wisdom in the Theravada teachings with regard to the ultimate reality is no different from the Mahayana and Vajrayana. The path Wisdom however is another matter. My 2 cents.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I kinda envy you guys who started with hinayana. :D One of my teachers said that people who go from hinayana to vajrayana are often way more grounded and dont fly away with their minds as those who go straight to vajrayana tend to do. I think at least some experience with it could be very beneficial.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Off topic discussion on definitive teachnings split to here.

Off topic discussion on Theravada and Bodhicitta split to here.

Topic locked.

Return to “Introductions”