Reintroduction

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
SunWuKong

Reintroduction

Post by SunWuKong » Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 am

I should have put this in here from the beginning. Better late than never.

Practice Summary "SunWuKong", Alexandria, Virginia

52 years of meditation and yoga practice, since 1967. Participated in Yoga Class at Clifton Unitarian Church in Louisville Kentucky, beginning a long association with both the Unitarian Universalist Association and meditation programs.

Elected to take Eastern Civilizations option at Kansas City Art Institute. Studied Tassajara Bread making and worked in vegetarian restaurants in Kansas City.

Welcomed Allen Ginsberg back from his India tour, reading at University of Missouri at Kansas City. Another long association, with Buddhist beat literature.

Initiated into Transcendental Mediation as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1972, trained for TM teacher until 1974. Daily practice until 1979.

Attended opening of Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University, Boulder Colorado,1976.

Began Christian worship in 1979, daily contemplative practices, Biblical Studies.

1999 began daily sitting meditation with MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) Jon Kabat Zinn of Massachussets School Of Medicine in consultation with Dr. Hale, psychiatrist, of Lawrence Kansas. Daily Practice 1999-2019: 20 years MBSR.

Joined Sangha of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hahn, Plum Village Tradition 2000-2019. Took 5 Mindfulness Trainings (Precepts) and Refuge (2000) Teacher: Chan Huy, Lam Te Dhyana (Lin Chi lineage). Dharma named “Peaceful Contentment of the Source.”

2002 - Received instruction in zazen from Fukushima Keido Roshi, head abbot of Tōfuku-ji sect of Rinzai Zen. This is Jeff Shore’s teacher.

Attended weekly meets Eugene, Oregon Cedar Sangha 2002-2005, retreats. Teachers: Nancy Nina of Cedar Sangha Dr. Jerry Braza, River Sangha, Salem, Oregon.

Began attending Unitarian and Silent Quaker meetings in Oregon.

Joined Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship under the direction of Rev. James Ishmael Ford, and Church of the Larger Fellowship, Unitarian Universalist Association. Since 2007.

Home sangha 2005-2019, Fairfax Mindfulness Center, Teachers Anh-Huong Nguyen and Thu Nguyen, Oakton UUA.

Retreats with Annapolis UUBF - Mindfulness Practice Group of Annapolis and Ka Shin Zendo Genzo-Ji, Zen Buddhist Sangha of Washington, D.C.

Completed Certification of 8 Week Mindfulness Training in MBSR with Dave Potter of Palouse Mindfulness, Moscow Idaho (online) 2019.

Currently attending UUCA Buddhist Fellowship, Meditation Group with Bob Gayer.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Re: Reintroduction

Post by Wayfarer » Thu May 02, 2019 5:47 am

Well, belated welcome, again.

The UUAC Fellowship looks a wonderful place.

Oh, and I've corresponded with James Ford several times, and enjoy his Patheos column.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Post by Admin_PC » Thu May 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for the reintroduction.
Your experience is extensive!
:anjali:
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Mönlam Tharchin

Post by Mönlam Tharchin » Thu May 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Began attending Unitarian and Silent Quaker meetings in Oregon.
Funny coincidence, I attended silent worship with Multnomah Friends off and on some years ago :smile:
It was a helpful experience.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-amida-butsu. -- Ippen

If in your heart you hold the thought, "I shall continue to utter the nembutsu," the Buddha will turn his attention to you, and thus you are one among those who are thought about and cherished. -- Master Hōnen

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri May 03, 2019 5:23 pm

:thumbsup:

Return to “Introductions”