Peace :)

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Loving

Peace :)

Post by Loving » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello to all of the Dharma community :smile:. Having asked a few potentially annoying questions to determine how things work around here, I consider myself quite at home and so I want to introduce myself more formally. My name's Josh, I live in Brisbane, Australia and my background is secular. For most of my youth I was an atheist and I accepted, provisionally, the scientific materialism of the new atheists (Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, etc.). Nevertheless, I've had a very strong interest in (western) philosophy since I was 13. This helped me to develop the conceptual tools to navigate the propositional framework that is "worldview", and uncover its assumptions. I have gone a long way down the road of scepticism; in fact I essentially hit rock bottom and then came back up, with a very impartial lens. At this point, I am very comfortable exploring all religions and ideologies to uncover what is "true" in and across them, because my very concept of "truth" is not held hostage by any particular doctrine (see this article if you wonder how one could possibly re-conceptualise truth).

I am personally highly interested in Buddhism, and there were no family members or friends of mine who influenced me in that direction. What I particularly like about Buddhism, and some other Eastern ideas such as Taoism, is that it is a living philosophy rather than an academic philosophy. It is concerned not essentially with doctrines, arguments, and modelling reality with logic, but with ethics, with happiness and suffering, and with practical wisdom. This idea of living philosophy is much closer to the spirit of western philosophy as it was pioneered by the Ancient Greeks. It is also closer to the spirit of western religion as it was encoded in mythology. These religious stories, these living philosophies, are first and foremost a code by which you can uncover ethical truth through lived experience. Rather than attempt to express reality directly on a piece of paper, language is used as a means to gesture at that which is inexpressible. That's how I think of it, anyway. :smile:

In short, colour me one who no longer cares for classifications of statements and beliefs and propositions according to "perfect universal eternal incontrovertible criteria". There is a much subtler domain of what can be called "real", and this I wish to explore with all of you.

:namaste:

Yavana

Re: Peace :)

Post by Yavana » Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I disagree. Glad you're here.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Welcome, mate. ;)

Sounds like you might have fun here, but don't forget in the end you have to taste the dharma without it it is wasted.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue May 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Welcome. :smile:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Wed May 08, 2019 2:51 am

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 am

G'day from sunny NQ, Josh :hi:
Loving wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm
... What I particularly like about Buddhism, and some other Eastern ideas such as Taoism, is that it is a living philosophy rather than an academic philosophy. It is concerned not essentially with doctrines, arguments, and modelling reality with logic, but with ethics, with happiness and suffering, and with practical wisdom. This idea of living philosophy is much closer to the spirit of western philosophy as it was pioneered by the Ancient Greeks. It is also closer to the spirit of western religion as it was encoded in mythology. These religious stories, these living philosophies, are first and foremost a code by which you can uncover ethical truth through lived experience. Rather than attempt to express reality directly on a piece of paper, language is used as a means to gesture at that which is inexpressible. That's how I think of it, anyway. :smile: ...
:twothumbsup:

Kim

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed May 08, 2019 4:22 am

Miroku wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm
Welcome, mate. ;)

Sounds like you might have fun here, but don't forget in the end you have to taste the dharma without it it is wasted.
He'll learn a lot either way.

:cheers:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 am

Welcome to DW!

Return to “Introductions”