An 'as-standard' introduction message

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Keith__

An 'as-standard' introduction message

Post by Keith__ »

Greetings all,

I used to have an account here, but I have long since abandoned the username by which I used to be known. I post a bit on Dhammawheel, but I used to be far more active there too (and moreso on my old username). Before that, I was an E-Sangha denizen.

I've been practising now for nearly 12 years and studying Buddhism for a little longer, but as you can tell from the number of times I've said 'I' within this post, the goal of the holy life is far from accomplished. I posted recently about my ponderings about 'Impostor Syndrome' on the Dhammawheel forum; I may replicate that post here later, I may not. We'll see.

I'm a teacher of Physics, a strummer of ukuleles and a paddler of kayaks. The reason I've decided to watch this forum a bit now is because I've recently become more interested in aspects of the Mahayana, about which I'm very unfamiliar. I've focused my study on the Pali Canon and writings by Theravadin monastics, so I've very little experience of the wealth of literature and experience that is found in the Northern schools. A conversation with a friend about the role of compassion in the pursuit of the spiritual life prompted my investigation into the Bodhisattva ideal, and from there came a curiosity about Mahayana. As with all curiosities, I entertain it when I have the time.

I consider myself an absolute beginner and a poor student, but I do try and will continue to do so.

Heres a picture of me looking bizarrely arrogant while meditating, and another of my shrine at work, in my lab/classroom.
Me looking arrogant
Me looking arrogant
temp_phototwo.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 2636 times
My shrine at work
My shrine at work
IMG_20200128_070106.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2636 times
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: An 'as-standard' introduction message

Post by Hazel »

Welcome back!
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Shiva

Post by Shiva »

Welcome! :namaste:
Gassho,

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DWM!

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Welcome back.

With your background in physics you might want to click on “active topics” and go back a page or two to a thread called
“Madhyamaka < Quantum Mechanics”.
You might be able to correct some mistakes about QM. Madhyamaka you’ll have to learn about.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Keith__

Post by Keith__ »

smcj wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 amWith your background in physics...
Sounds interesting, thank you
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

smcj wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 am Welcome back.

With your background in physics you might want to click on “active topics” and go back a page or two to a thread called
“Madhyamaka < Quantum Mechanics”.
You might be able to correct some mistakes about QM. Madhyamaka you’ll have to learn about.
For me, that topic was difficult to find. Now I realize it was because I was not logged in. The topic is in the subforum Open Dharma which is not visible without logging in. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32795

Hello Keith,

welcome to Dharma Wheel. :namaste:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:hi:
Keith__ wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:43 pm ...the role of compassion in the pursuit of the spiritual life prompted my investigation into the Bodhisattva ideal, and from there came a curiosity about Mahayana...
That is really why I'm here as well as on DWT, too.
I find they complement each other.

:namaste:
Kim
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Hello! :smile:

Return to “Introductions”