Machig Labdron Wisdom from an Old Lady

kirtu
Former staff member

Machig Labdron Wisdom from an Old Lady

Post by kirtu »

Wisdom from an Old Lady

For ninety-nine years, I have worked for the benefit of beings.
Now this work is almost complete.

I will not take birth again in this human realm in a physical form, nor will I leave behind any remains or relics.
But my emanations in the world will be innumerable, and many will recognize them.
They will be perceived in different ways, depending on karma, pure or impure.

In the same way, mind itself has no support, has no object; let it rest in its natural expanse without any fabrication.
When the bonds (of negative thoughts) are released, you will be free; there is no doubt.

As when gazing into space, all other visual objects disappear, so it is for mind itself.
When mind is looking at mind, all discursive thoughts cease and enlightenment is attained.

As in the sky all clouds disappear into sky itself: wherever they go, they go nowhere, wherever they are, they are nowhere.
This is the same for thoughts in the mind: when the mind looks at mind, the waves of conceptual thought disappear.

This body of ours is impermanent, like a feather on a high mountain pass.
This mind of ours is empty and clear like the depth of space.
Relax in that natural state, free of fabrication.

When mind is without any support, that is mahamudra.
Becoming familiar with this, blending your mind with it - that is buddhahood.

Supreme view is beyond all duality of subject and object.
Supreme meditation is without distraction.
Supreme activity is action without effort.
Supreme fruition is without hope and fear.

This old lady has no instructions more profound than this to give you.

~ Machig Labdron
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Natan

Re: Machig Labdron Wisdom from an Old Lady

Post by Natan »

:namaste:
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

:heart:
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Duuude....way cool!
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

This is wonderful! It seems to be a condensed version of Machig's Last Instructions. As it happens, I was just reading that text earlier today in the Jérôme Edou book Machig Labdrön and the Foundations of Chöd.

Here is Lama Tsultrim Allione reading a few selections from Edou's translation as an aid to meditation:

https://taramandala.org/wp-content/uplo ... odcast.mp3
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

kirtu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:42 pm
Wisdom from an Old Lady

For ninety-nine years, I have worked for the benefit of beings.
Now this work is almost complete.

I will not take birth again in this human realm in a physical form, nor will I leave behind any remains or relics.
But my emanations in the world will be innumerable, and many will recognize them.
They will be perceived in different ways, depending on karma, pure or impure.

In the same way, mind itself has no support, has no object; let it rest in its natural expanse without any fabrication.
When the bonds (of negative thoughts) are released, you will be free; there is no doubt.

As when gazing into space, all other visual objects disappear, so it is for mind itself.
When mind is looking at mind, all discursive thoughts cease and enlightenment is attained.

As in the sky all clouds disappear into sky itself: wherever they go, they go nowhere, wherever they are, they are nowhere.
This is the same for thoughts in the mind: when the mind looks at mind, the waves of conceptual thought disappear.

This body of ours is impermanent, like a feather on a high mountain pass.
This mind of ours is empty and clear like the depth of space.
Relax in that natural state, free of fabrication.

When mind is without any support, that is mahamudra.
Becoming familiar with this, blending your mind with it - that is buddhahood.

Supreme view is beyond all duality of subject and object.
Supreme meditation is without distraction.
Supreme activity is action without effort.
Supreme fruition is without hope and fear.

This old lady has no instructions more profound than this to give you.

~ Machig Labdron
:good:

Thank you for this, Kirt.
Cosmicgirl

Post by Cosmicgirl »

This is a fascinating teaching.
I'm looking for the original script of in Tibetan (not a translation).
Do you know where I can get it?
Natan

Post by Natan »

:thumbsup:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Spelare wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:13 pm This is wonderful! It seems to be a condensed version of Machig's Last Instructions. As it happens, I was just reading that text earlier today in the Jérôme Edou book Machig Labdrön and the Foundations of Chöd.

Yes, that is correct although I have no idea where I got a condensed version from.

For the full text: From The Concise Life Story of Machig Labdrön by Kunpang Tsöndrü Sengé (13th century), fols. 445-457.
Translation by Jérôme Edou: Machig Labdrön and the Foundations of Chöd, Ithaca/New York 1996, 165-17

There is also a full (or at least fuller) version online: https://www.taramandala.org/wp-content/ ... ook5-1.pdf

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

kirtu wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:35 am
Spelare wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:13 pm This is wonderful! It seems to be a condensed version of Machig's Last Instructions. As it happens, I was just reading that text earlier today in the Jérôme Edou book Machig Labdrön and the Foundations of Chöd.

Yes, that is correct although I have no idea where I got a condensed version from.

For the full text: From The Concise Life Story of Machig Labdrön by Kunpang Tsöndrü Sengé (13th century), fols. 445-457.
Translation by Jérôme Edou: Machig Labdrön and the Foundations of Chöd, Ithaca/New York 1996, 165-17

There is also a full (or at least fuller) version online: https://www.taramandala.org/wp-content/ ... ook5-1.pdf
Can anyone vouch for the translation - is it good?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

PeterC wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:46 am
kirtu wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:35 am

Can anyone vouch for the translation - is it good?
Jérôme Edou appears to be a respected translator. In addition Tara Mandala would not post the pdf translation if they did not have confidence in it.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Mahamudra”