Gampopa's fivefold Training-any book/text recommendations?

omph

Gampopa's fivefold Training-any book/text recommendations?

Post by omph »

I'm trying to learn about the Fivefold training by Gampopa. Does anyone recommend any books (or commentary/writings) on this practice?
dzogchungpa

Re: Gampopa's fivefold Training-any book/text recommendation

Post by dzogchungpa »

Haven't read this:
http://www.amazon.com/Gampopas-Mahamudr ... 9937206073
but maybe it's relevant.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
jiashengrox

Post by jiashengrox »

How about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Garland-Mahamudra ... 1559391731

By Khenchen Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche, quite an informative book. I think the Fivefold Mahamudra Torma Empowerment might be required to read this book (best to check with a teacher).
Homage to the Mother of Buddhas as well as of the groups of Hearers and Bodhisattvas
which through knowledge of all leads Hearers seeking pacification to thorough peace
And which through knowledge of paths causes those helping transmigrators to achieve the welfare of the world,
And through possession of which the Subduers set forth these varieties endowed with all aspects.

- Ornament of Clear Realisation
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

If you're referring to the Fivefold Path of Mahamudra, Gampopa gave that teaching to Phagmodrupa. Of all Phagmodrupa's students, the one who had complete understanding of it was said to be Lord Jigten Sumgön. Thus it's become a specialty of the Drikung Kagyu lineage, and their main Mahamudra practice.

Here's a Song of Realization on it by LJS, as taught at the 2009 Kagyu Monlam:
http://www.kagyumonlam.org/Download/TEX ... xtbook.pdf

PM me if you're looking for additional resources. I'll have to ask the powers that be what texts are able to be offered freely, but the Drikungpas seem to be pretty open to giving those teachings, and it's been taught recently in my neck of the woods (without need for empowerment beforehand).

Hope this helps!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Does anyone if Garchen Rinpoche's Mahamudra: Emaho is the same as his Mahamudra Teachings book?

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=23636
http://www.amazon.com/Mahamudra-Teachin ... 615578314/
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Gampopa's fivefold Training-any book/text recommendations?

@Losal Samten,

It appears that these would be separate texts.

Mahãmudra Emaho was translated by Ina Dhargye (nee Beiler), Garchen Rinpoche's most frequent interpreter, and published in January 2011 by Zhysil Chokyi Ghatsal, Tai Situ Rinpoche's Palpung center in New Zealand. In it Garchen Rinpoche gives commentary on a text by Drikung Kyöbpa Jigten Sumgön, which appears to be included. This would seem to have been either intentionally written as a book, or else culled from various teachings Garchen Rinpoche has given over the years.

Mahãmudra Teachings was translated by Khenchen Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche, an excellent scholar and lama in his own right and the original translator of most of the Drikung sadhanas, and was published by Beach Books in December 2011 from a transcript of oral teachings given at a single conference in 1997 (according to the back cover).

I suppose it is possible that both translations stem from the same teachings that Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche gave, but it seems unlikely that there would have been such a lack of communication between two prominent figures in the Drikung sangha, causing duplicate work. Also, the texts vary in length by nearly 15 pages. If anything, Ina's work likely represents teachings that postdate the conference Khen Rinpoche translated for.

I will look into procuring copies to confirm. If you've since figured out for sure, please let me know. Garchen Rinpoche recently gave teachings on a new Fivefold Mahãmudra sadhana he composed himself, which he was kind enough to give the transmission of to the fortunate students at Gar Drolma Chöling and the Singapore Amidewa Retreat. Hence any and all Fivefold Mahãmudra instructions from Rinpoche has jumped to the head of my reading list.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Karma Jinpa wrote: If you've since figured out for sure, please let me know.
I can confirm they are indeed different texts.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Palzang Jangchub

No reason for me not to get a copy of both then!

If you were short on cash and could only choose one, which would it be and why? What are some of the differences between the two texts?

That is, if I may pry... Please feel free to PM me.

Return to “Mahamudra”