practicing alone

Malcolm

Re: practicing alone

Post by Malcolm »

WeiHan wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

The special view of Lamdre is called the inseparability of samsara and nirvana. This view can only be meditated upon after one has received the cause Hevajra empowerment. It is meditated upon prior to engaging in the meditations of the creation and completion stage. The way this is meditated is through thirty-two examples which establish phenomena as mind, mind as an illusion and illusion as natureless. Not only this but there is an inseparability of samsara and nirvana of the path and also an inseparability of samsara and nirvana of the result.

M
Hi Malcohm,

I have received Lam Dre but there are just some subtle points which I cannot make the connection and it is not apparent in the teaching. Regarding the above paragraph, do you mean the 32 examples are a method to meditate on the inseparability of samsara and nirvana of the basis. And then there is a method to meditate on this same view when on the path which is called the inseparability of samsara and nirvana of the path. And then the final fruition, realizing the view in actuality is called the inseparability of samsara and nirvana of the result?

I just need the above general clarification. Thanks in advance.
it is a bit complicated to summarize.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Yuren wrote:The orthodox catechism of Malcolm reminds me why I never want to get involved with Tibetan Buddhism, at least its institutional form.
Right, because our own concepts are just so much better and effective...
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Yuren wrote:The orthodox catechism of Malcolm reminds me why I never want to get involved with Tibetan Buddhism, at least its institutional form.
Buddha Vajradhara taught the Tantras, you either follow his teachings (orthodox catechism) or make it up as you go along.

Making it up as you go along is not recommended.
Yuren

Post by Yuren »

As I said, Chogyam Trungpa's student Reginald Ray teaches through audio recordings and Skype. That was my advice to OP.
(Read my edited message.)
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Yuren wrote: The idea that transmission cannot work remotely is of course mere superstition.
If you are listening remotely in real time, you can receive transmission. You cannot receive transmission from a recording though, it's not expressive sound (conjoined with the motivation of the speaker)

If someone really wants to practise Mahamudra, why wouldn't they seek out a qualified spiritual guide and learn at their feet instead of practising 'internet Dharma'?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tsongkhapafan wrote:...why wouldn't they seek out a qualified spiritual guide and learn at their feet instead of practising 'internet Dharma'?

Well, because it is much easier to surf the web while listening... and less obtrusive then surfing the web on your smart phone...
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:
Tsongkhapafan wrote:...why wouldn't they seek out a qualified spiritual guide and learn at their feet instead of practising 'internet Dharma'?

Well, because it is much easier to surf the web while listening... and less obtrusive then surfing the web on your smart phone...
Oh snap!
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

I just don't understand why people take ending this samsaric suffering so lightly.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Oh snap!
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Yuren wrote:No offense meant but Malcolm's orthodox catechism reminds me why I never want to get involved with Tibetan Buddhism, at least its institutional form.
It's a question of if something actually works or not. Traditionally it hasn't worked any other way.
Reginald Ray created an audio course on Mahamudra, he even gives Ground Mahamudra Transmission in it.
I guess it won't get the Seal of Approval of the Holy See in Tibet, but why not check him out and see if something clicks?
Well if it works it works. But something can seemingly "click" and still be completely off the mark. The little I know of R. Ray I like, but best to have any "clicks" confirmed/verified by someone that is basing their opinion on centuries of pooled experience.
The idea that transmission cannot work remotely is of course mere superstition.
I've been to more initiation than I could possible count, and never had anything like the experience of "transmission", so I'm not the one to say what is or is not viable on that score. However given my opaqueness on that level my own preference is to do them in person. Every little bit helps.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Yuren wrote:No offense meant but Malcolm's orthodox catechism reminds me why I never want to get involved with Tibetan Buddhism, at least its institutional form.
To answer OP's question, Reginald Ray created an audio course on Mahamudra, he even gives Ground Mahamudra Transmission in it.
I guess it won't get the Seal of Approval of the Holy See in Tibet, but why not check him out and see if something clicks?

It's called Mahamudra for the Modern World, it's like 250 audio files of guided meditation, and you can find it for free if you look...
He claims that in his 30 years of exp. teaching it, there's no difference teaching face to face vs teaching through audio recordings.
In modern day, it is very easy to find watered down version or evoluted teachings. I am not saying that they are wrong or making any judgement. But the traditional way and view is really the one that get obscured so I find great values when people make effort in sticking to the traditional way and presented it as it is. People has the right to know which is which and the freedom to decide is yours.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hey guys, i'm gonna go ahead and close this soon if no one has anything else to say on the subject of the OP. I feel like the OP's questions have been answered, and this is simply turning into a discussion about the definition of orthodoxy, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

To answer OP's question, Reginald Ray created an audio course on Mahamudra, he even gives Ground Mahamudra Transmission in it.
:lol:

Ground Mahāmudra transmission? What a joke! You already have ground mahāmudra, how can someone give you something you already have!

The idea that you can receive transmission from a recording is complete nonsense.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Hey guys, i'm gonna go ahead and close this soon if no one has anything else to say on the subject of the OP. I feel like the OP's questions have been answered, and this is simply turning into a discussion about the definition of orthodoxy, etc.
I kind of wanted to explore the bass kazoo thing a little more.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ok, locking this for now.

If anyone wants to continue the discussion on recorded empowerments etc., start a new thread or look up the many existing threads on the subject.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Mahamudra”