Loch Kelly

philji

Loch Kelly

Post by philji »

A friend suggested I look at some video teachings by Loch Kelly who apparently has been given authorisation to teach sutra mahamudra.
I have had a quick peek but not too impressed yet. Are others familiar with him?
Knotty Veneer

Re: Loch Kelly

Post by Knotty Veneer »

philji wrote:A friend suggested I look at some video teachings by Loch Kelly who apparently has been given authorisation to teach sutra mahamudra.
I have had a quick peek but not too impressed yet. Are others familiar with him?
Looking at his website, he seems to be offering his own kinda syncretic teachings, taking in vipassana, mahamudra, therapy. Nothing terribly traditional so if that's what you are looking for I'd say he's not the place to start. He seems to have gotten some sort of authorization from Mingyur Rinpoche, so I'd maybe check with his org.

Can't say the site raises any obvious red flags particularly. Might be worth a look but I doubt a source for traditional sutra mahamudra. Looks like any number of Western teachers: Goldstein, Surya Das, Salzberg etc.
This is not the wrong life.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

When I saw the thread title I wondered if it was about a body of water in Scotland or Ireland... :smile:

Anyway :focus:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Kim

Post by Kim »

I've listened to several of Loch's talks and interviews, read his book and am listening to his mp3's. I've changed emails with him too. I think that among a very orthodox dharma field he is a welcome addition. He has studied with Tulku Urgyen and received sutra mahamudra permission from Mingyur. He has also been asked to teach by Adyashanti, although I think in that case it should have gone the other way around, ha.

"I have studied and practiced Mingyur, Tulku Urgyen, Tsoknyi and read the classics and have tried to translate these teachings into the contemporary forms I share. I have been asked to teach Sutra Mahamudra by Mingyur many years ago and so I do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."

Yeah, meditaton teaching-wise he is wonderful. I haven't listened to all of his cd so I don't yet know whether he points to zero-dimensional mind or just gives three-dimensional/open space practices.

I invited him to teach in my country too but once he informed me of his fee demands all I could say was, "That's not OK for any dharma teacher". He got offended and never replied to me again.
philji

Post by philji »

I am not too comfortable with his comments.. "I do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."
As for fees well????!!!!
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Kim wrote:I've listened to several of Loch's talks and interviews, read his book and am listening to his mp3's. I've changed emails with him too. I think that among a very orthodox dharma field he is a welcome addition. He has studied with Tulku Urgyen and received sutra mahamudra permission from Mingyur. He has also been asked to teach by Adyashanti, although I think in that case it should have gone the other way around, ha.

"I have studied and practiced Mingyur, Tulku Urgyen, Tsoknyi and read the classics and have tried to translate these teachings into the contemporary forms I share. I have been asked to teach Sutra Mahamudra by Mingyur many years ago and so I do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."

Yeah, meditaton teaching-wise he is wonderful. I haven't listened to all of his cd so I don't yet know whether he points to zero-dimensional mind or just gives three-dimensional/open space practices.

I invited him to teach in my country too but once he informed me of his fee demands all I could say was, "That's not OK for any dharma teacher". He got offended and never replied to me again.
" He has been asked to teach by Adyashanti"...'nuff said. One pseudo purveyor of Dharma-Lite promoting another I suspect.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kim wrote:I

• [P]ermitting someone with gifts in the gate,
    stopping the one without gifts outside the gate–
    supporting relatives by feeding them with devotional offerings;
    Also leave great meditator’s Dharma and go!
— Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen
Kim

Post by Kim »

philji wrote:I am not too comfortable with his comments.. "I do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."
As for fees well????!!!!
I'd recommend anyone to check out how he teaches mahamudra practices.

But for sure, there is a business interest there. He charges 7700 USD per weekend, plus flights, hotels and meals. H e said it's perfectly fine with organisers in the US. He failed to understand that in remote European countries like the one where I live, he is practically unknown so taking a financial responsibility like that wasn't something I wanted to take. In regards to his fee, there was no mention of charity projects etc. He also mentioned his teacher, Mingyur, charges more than him. I don't know what to make of that.
philji

Post by philji »

Malcolm wrote:
Kim wrote:I

• [P]ermitting someone with gifts in the gate,
    stopping the one without gifts outside the gate–
    supporting relatives by feeding them with devotional offerings;
    Also leave great meditator’s Dharma and go!
— Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen
:cheers:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Kim wrote:He charges 7700 USD per weekend, plus flights, hotels and meals.
Sounds like a horrible joke to me, in the US or elsewhere.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
philji

Post by philji »

I have now discovered that his authorisation to teach by Mingyur Rinpoche is going to be removed from his website...a misunderstanding he says!!!!
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

philji wrote:I have now discovered that his authorisation to teach by Mingyur Rinpoche is going to be removed from his website...a misunderstanding he says!!!!
Probably worked well while Mingyur R was in retreat and prospective students could not check up. I think Lama Rabsang in Palpung Changchub Dargyeling in Brynmawr Wales actually has authorisation from Mingyur R to teach mahamudra. I'd go with him if I were you.
This is not the wrong life.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

philji wrote:I have now discovered that his authorisation to teach by Mingyur Rinpoche is going to be removed from his website...a misunderstanding he says!!!!

Quelle surprise..

philji

Post by philji »

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Probably worked well while Mingyur R was in retreat and prospective students could not check up. I think Lama Rabsang in Palpung Changchub Dargyeling in Brynmawr Wales actually has authorisation from Mingyur R to teach mahamudra. I'd go with him if I were you.
I was taught mahamudra by both Mingyur Rinpoche and Lama Rabsang...also later by Phakchok Rinpoche( ongoing). :smile:
Kim

Post by Kim »

How? What? How the hell can anyone misunderstand a thing like that... Loch said it was misunderstanding himself? Where? A quote?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kim wrote:
philji wrote:I am not too comfortable with his comments.. "I do feel that I get most everything they are pointing to and so I trying to convey but I try to update them where the practices at times seem archaic and too formal and miss the how-to pieces which I try to fill in in different ways."
As for fees well????!!!!
I'd recommend anyone to check out how he teaches mahamudra practices.

But for sure, there is a business interest there. He charges 7700 USD per weekend, plus flights, hotels and meals. H e said it's perfectly fine with organisers in the US. He failed to understand that in remote European countries like the one where I live, he is practically unknown so taking a financial responsibility like that wasn't something I wanted to take. In regards to his fee, there was no mention of charity projects etc.
That is f$&king outrageous.
He also mentioned his teacher, Mingyur, charges more than him. I don't know what to make of that.
I highly doubt that this is the case.
Last edited by Malcolm on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jax II
philji

Post by philji »

I have heard enough to make up my mind, thanks guys.
Kim

Post by Kim »

What the *hell* is going on here... Someone shouts from the bushes a oneliner saying about a "misunderstanding" that Loch Kelly isn't an authorised mahamudra teacher and doesn't proof this claim in any way. And already Loch Kelly is thought of as big of a hoax as Jackson Peterson. Hello..?

Philji. Provide evidence of your claims of Kelly not being authorised by Mingyur. Otherwise you are committing a serious action of spreading misinformation that will have effect on both yourself, Loch Kelly and many others. I hope you can see that.
philji

Post by philji »

Hi Kim
Please see pm.

Return to “Mahamudra”