Loch Kelly

heart

Re: Loch Kelly

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
Kim wrote:He's been studying with these rinpoche's for a few decades.
What does this mean?

Sorry, but at minimum, someone who is teaching Dzogchen or Mahāmudra should at least have rudimentary grasp of Tibetan. For example, we have this fellow in Sweden who has claimed he was authorized to teach Dzogchen by TUR, but when such claims are investigated, the basis upon which they are made seems to evaporite like morning mist when the sun rises.
Sweden? You probably mean Denmark, right?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Kim wrote:He's been studying with these rinpoche's for a few decades.
What does this mean?

Sorry, but at minimum, someone who is teaching Dzogchen or Mahāmudra should at least have rudimentary grasp of Tibetan. For example, we have this fellow in Sweden who has claimed he was authorized to teach Dzogchen by TUR, but when such claims are investigated, the basis upon which they are made seems to evaporite like morning mist when the sun rises.

/magnus
Right, but all you Scandinavians look alike. ;)
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
What does this mean?

/magnus
Right, but all you Scandinavians look alike. ;)
:smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
JAC72

Post by JAC72 »

Hello all,

I am a colleague of Loch Kelly’s and wanted to clear up some of the confusions here:

1. I have helped coordinate events for Loch and other teachers. Some of the information about fees is related to communicating with hosts about how many students they think will attend. Most lay teachers like Loch want to accept invitations but want to know that there will be a decent number of students in order to leave home and make a teaching trip from the US to Europe. Loch did not want to charge a very small group of student higher fees to pay for the trip. Therefore, Loch suggests to hosts that he would like do a a 2 1/2 day retreat with around 55 people attending at around $150 per student. Taking into account scholarships given to students that is where the $7700 figure came from. It does sound strange when it is presented out of context. This is a pretty typical way to talk about whether the host can get enough people to attend for a teacher to accept an invitation to spend 5 days including travel. You can easily look at the fees on Loch’s website which are reasonable and similar to other dharma teachers.

2. Loch is a wonderful person who has mainly done clinical social work in New York City with the severely mentally ill, the homeless and families of 9/11, where he was a first responder. As you can read in Loch's book, at the end of a one-on-one student-teacher interview in 2004 Mingyur Rinpoche said to Loch, “I would like you to teach Sutra Mahamudra.” This verbal invitation was known by many of us at the time. Two years later, before the Tergar organization was formed, this authorization letter below was given to Loch using the terms shamatha and vipassana (see http://bit.ly/2bcWpgQ ). I know that Loch is planning to talk to Mingyur Rinpoche directly about what language he would like to use going forward.
philji

Post by philji »

JAC72 wrote:Hello all,

I am a colleague of Loch Kelly’s and wanted to clear up some of the confusions here:

1. I have helped coordinate events for Loch and other teachers. Some of the information about fees is related to communicating with hosts about how many students they think will attend. Most lay teachers like Loch want to accept invitations but want to know that there will be a decent number of students in order to leave home and make a teaching trip from the US to Europe. Loch did not want to charge a very small group of student higher fees to pay for the trip. Therefore, Loch suggests to hosts that he would like do a a 2 1/2 day retreat with around 55 people attending at around $150 per student. Taking into account scholarships given to students that is where the $7700 figure came from. It does sound strange when it is presented out of context. This is a pretty typical way to talk about whether the host can get enough people to attend for a teacher to accept an invitation to spend 5 days including travel. You can easily look at the fees on Loch’s website which are reasonable and similar to other dharma teachers.

2. Loch is a wonderful person who has mainly done clinical social work in New York City with the severely mentally ill, the homeless and families of 9/11, where he was a first responder. As you can read in Loch's book, at the end of a one-on-one student-teacher interview in 2004 Mingyur Rinpoche said to Loch, “I would like you to teach Sutra Mahamudra.” This verbal invitation was known by many of us at the time. Two years later, before the Tergar organization was formed, this authorization letter below was given to Loch using the terms shamatha and vipassana (see http://bit.ly/2bcWpgQ ). I know that Loch is planning to talk to Mingyur Rinpoche directly about what language he would like to use going forward.
Thanks for this info.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Here's an interview:

phpBB [video]

I haven't watched it yet but I've often found these BATGAP interviews to be a good way to get a sense of where someone is coming from.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:Here's an interview:

phpBB [video]

I haven't watched it yet but I've often found these BATGAP interviews to be a good way to get a sense of where someone is coming from.
Spirituality Lite™. It's less filling!

Seriously though, his idea about awakening have nothing to do with Buddhadharma.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Who care's if it's Buddhadharma or not....i don't think Awakening is intended for only Buddhists...that's why there are 84,000 gates.
IT IS OUR NATURAL STATE...OUR BIRTH-RIGHT
I loved his beautiful smile.
And i thought he was sincere.
And i watched the whole video.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Who care's if it's Buddhadharma or not....i don't think Awakening is intended for only Buddhists...that's why there are 84,000 gates.

It depends on what one means bynthe term awakening.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Who care's if it's Buddhadharma or not....i don't think Awakening is intended for only Buddhists...that's why there are 84,000 gates.
IT IS OUR NATURAL STATE...OUR BIRTH-RIGHT
You have to admit that Malcolm's smile is nice too. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Malcolm wrote:It depends on what one means bynthe term awakening.
So you can be awake but not fully Enlightened ?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

dzogchungpa wrote:
You have to admit that Malcolm's smile is nice too. :smile:
:smile:

There was something very beautiful in his smile (Loch Kelly), it was warm and genuine..honest & sincere ...not pretentious...or arrogant...
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

All the years I've been into Tibetan Buddhism, all the books I've read, all the contacts I've had....and I still feel like a f@@king loser...
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:All the years I've been into Tibetan Buddhism, all the books I've read, all the contacts I've had....and I still feel like a f@@king loser...
If you can, bring that feeling into your practice and work with it. Rightly approached, it's a treasure. Seriously.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Malcolm wrote:It depends on what one means bynthe term awakening.
So you can be awake but not fully Enlightened ?
Yes. But more than that, the nonduality people like kelley, etc., dont have same idea of awakening as the one found in Buddhadharma.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Malcolm wrote:Yes. But more than that, the nonduality people like kelley, etc., dont have same idea of awakening as the one found in Buddhadharma.
But didn't Buddha even say upon his Enlightenment, that everyone/everything was Enlightenend simutaneously ?
You can't get more non-dual than that...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Yes. But more than that, the nonduality people like kelley, etc., dont have same idea of awakening as the one found in Buddhadharma.
But didn't Buddha even say upon his Enlightenment, that everyone/everything was Enlightenend simutaneously ?
You can't get more non-dual than that...
No, the Buddha never said this.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Well..what did he realize when he saw the morning star ?

In seeing the morning star and exclaiming, “I and all sentient beings on earth, together, attain enlightenment at the same time,”

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... Buddha.htm

Then there is this one :

first statement following his enlightenment was: "Wonderful, wonderful! All sentient beings have the same wisdom and virtue as the Tathágata, but because of the obstacle of illusion and grasping they cannot attain."

http://buddhasutra.com/files/prajnaparamita.htm
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Well..what did he realize when he saw the morning star ?

In seeing the morning star and exclaiming, “I and all sentient beings on earth, together, attain enlightenment at the same time,”

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... Buddha.htm
This is a late Chan story. It is mot to be taken literally.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

I see no difference in that and your signature. ...

To stay on topic, maybe people like Loch Kelly need to teach those that have not studied Buddhadharma...or any esoteric literature....it saddens me that truth is always under lock and key...by those that claim to know it..
And if anyone comes along openly teaching it, they are discredited. ...

It broke my heart when I read Longchenpa's BASIC SPACE OF PHENOMENA. ...
All that talk about "eveness", and nonduality....then blowing my mind when referring to others as having lower capacities. ...when All IS EQUAL.....

Return to “Mahamudra”